SMG platoons-excellence for defense

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've called them "concentrated essence of infantry". They hold the covered terrain they are in, very well. They do not, however, influence the area around them in the same way LMG and rifle infantry does. It would have to get up and move to hold the same area. In a big body of cover they can do that, but in smaller ones reveal them that way isn't practical.

You can easily remedy this, though, if you use them along with a few HMG teams or light guns, to handle the "distant" battle. You don't have to reveal the SMGers to use the ranged weapons. You save precious squad infantry ammo. And by not being in exactly the same spot you avoid giving good targets to enemy arty by staying hidden longer. You can also employ the reverse slope principle for the SMG portion. I love 'em.

And the SMG platoon plus HMG is better off. Because the HMG reveals itself to pin the scout, the SMGs do not. At range, the HMG may even remain a sound contact.

You can cover rifle infantry the same way, it is true. But the rifles can't cover themselves at range without showing themselves to a scout.

Squad infantry wants to stay hidden. Range is most useful when you are stealthy even when firing, or don't much care whether you stay hidden.

Originally posted by JasonC:

Gaylord - so send me a file and show me how it is done. jasoncawley@comcast.net I defend, players choose forces, preferably modest size to go quickly, time place side and force must allow SMG infantry for me - otherwise suit yourself.

OK, my army will show you how it is done, or die trying! :D

Expect a setup tomorrow sometime. smile.gif

Originally posted by JasonC:

Dorosh, clam up and send me another file. Same conditions.

Leave me out of it!

Just don't f*** this one up for us, Cawley!!

Nonetheless...I am sure I could learn some useful things from you. Send me a setup at madorosh@shaw.ca; I will be a bit busy the next week or so and out of town completely next weekend, but can hopefully do 1 or 2 turns a night, your sched permitting. Perhaps I can be the control group for your experiment?

[ October 13, 2003, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: Michael Dorosh ]