SMG platoons-excellence for defense

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hoping the 3rd time is a charm with GF. Last two he sent had me with late war German mech in a QB, and 1941 Russian rifle infantry in a scenario ME. If you like I will send you a file to start GF. I can actually arrange for me to have defenders with SMGs allowed. (Didn't think it was hard...)

With Mike, 6 minutes gone. Most of the Jerries at the fence before have made it to the first building beyond it. German infantry pooling in the buildings at the edge of town, more generally. Continued small arms fire, but somewhat slackening.

Originally posted by JasonC:

Hoping the 3rd time is a charm with GF. Last two he sent had me with late war German mech in a QB, and 1941 Russian rifle infantry in a scenario ME. If you like I will send you a file to start GF. I can actually arrange for me to have defenders with SMGs allowed. (Didn't think it was hard...)

With Mike, 6 minutes gone. Most of the Jerries at the fence before have made it to the first building beyond it. German infantry pooling in the buildings at the edge of town, more generally. Continued small arms fire, but somewhat slackening.

The last turn sent was German Infantry in December 1944, smg squads are available for the Germans with those parameters.

Actually JasonC it is extremely difficult task for me to accomplish in sending a game setup with the right parameters, someday i may have the skills to accomplish such a feat but in the mean time i think Dorosh is more up to your high caliber of play.

Yes, December 1944 Germans would work if I am allowed the Infantry parent division type. You gave me Mechanized parent division type, which does not allow VG formations or Fusiliers. There are fine infantry types in German mech late war, 2 LMG variety Panzergrenadiers etc. But not SMG squads.

That was the first. The last was a 2000 point 1941 scenario with me as Russians, with veteran rifles and tanks. Maybe you meant to send a correction with infantry force type but attached the wrong file by mistake?

Believe me I am not trying to be difficult. I'll send you one that will work - me as German infantry in December 1944 since that is what you apparently intended. I was just trying to allow you choice of the other conditions.

I've now sent a December 1944 QB, village on the central front, 600 points infantry - akin to my game with Mike but this time using German defenders and with a central front village (moderate woods, small hills) not a town.

[ October 14, 2003, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: JasonC ]

Underway with Gaylord. A winter wonderland...

Just completed orders for turn 8 with Mike. Germans dropping more 81s, this time on my left, on top of or slightly behind his own guys. Probably meant to be smoke, but none seen yet. Has to be almost the last of that FO. The basic story remains unchanged - small arms, MGs, German infantry pools at the edge of town.

And yet more 81s, shifting forward. Easily the balance of one FO.

With Gaylord, set up completed and first turn underway.

[ October 15, 2003, 01:46 AM: Message edited by: JasonC ]

Monwar - I got mail from you, replied to the address in the header (8 PM US central time on the 13th, my mailer says), and mine "bounced".

The following addresses had delivery problems:

<monwarh@bdonline.com>

Permanent Failure: 553_sorry,_that_domain_isn't_in_my_list_of_allowed_rcpthosts_(#5.7.1)

Delivery last attempted at Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:00:07 -0000

Donno what that means, other than my ISP doesn't recognize your ISP or some such.

In my fight with Mike, German infantry have entered the second layer of large stone buildings in the town at one spot, in roughly platoon strength. Some are in the same building with Russians.

More 81s continue to fall on my left, HE - a second FO it would appear. I estimate 200-225 81mm rounds have now landed, over 50 this turn alone.

Small arms fire building back up on my right as more Germans enter the town. In close it is apparent Mike believes in SMGs too, as his choice of infantry type settled on Jagers, with their extra SMG per squad. What I'd have taken myself, naturally.

Some are also split into teams, presumably to dissipate fire effects. Also means local number estimates are less reliable, but I am confident it is a reinforced company worth of infantry overall.

Incidentally, my revised estimate of Mike's force is 1 Jager 42 company with MG section, 2 81mm FOs, and the balance either 2 additional Jager platoons and a couple of spare weapons teams, or an Aufklarung company (small 3x8 platoons, plus 50mm). Either way around 225 infantry, an infantry heavy force.

[ October 15, 2003, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: JasonC ]

Note on extreme fog-of-war:

The different FOW only affect the identification of units you spotted. They do not influence when you spot a unit.

Since you already know you have SMG infantry there is probably not much lost even if it is only full FOW. The only noticable difference would be that you can see how many men are left in a squad more easily (the 1-3 soldiers in the graphics).

Sad I didn't see the thread, I would have liked to PBEM it while ROW III is "on pause" or whatever it is smile.gif

Monwar - I got mail from you, replied to the address in the header (8 PM US central time on the 13th, my mailer says), and mine "bounced".

The following addresses had delivery problems:

<monwarh@bdonline.com>

Permanent Failure: 553_sorry,_that_domain_isn't_in_my_list_of_allowed_rcpthosts_(#5.7.1)

Delivery last attempted at Tue, 14 Oct 2003 01:00:07 -0000

Donno what that means, other than my ISP doesn't recognize your ISP or some such.

Jason,

Pls resend your mail to monwar1982@yahoo.com. Sorry for the inconvenience.