East Front Military Atlas

A few years back, the US Military Academy printed some excellent Campaign Atlases. These covered a lot of wars from Frederick the Great to Napoleon to WW1 to WW2 to Korea. The set was originally published in 1981.

Later, some of them components were reprinted individually (Esposito did the Napoleonic atlas in hardcover and there was a paperback series of which I still have Frederick's campaigns).

Then it was released as The West Point Military History of the Second World War/Military Campaign Atlas/Europe & the Mediterranean/Asia & the Pacific (West Point Military) by Brigadier General Thomas E. Griess (Editor). It's long since out of print but available used in many places ( Amazon.com reference).

Volume 2 of the original was all WW2. Strategic level, but still very good, despite a few minor errata. Pages 19 -32 inclusive are all maps of the campaign. The pages are all roughly 11 x 17" in colour.

Chuikov is listed as the leader of the 64th Army on page 22, and I'm pretty sure he was only ever commander of the 62nd (later renamed to one of the Guards armies). Any grognards able to confirm or refute this?

I have a borrowed set on my lap as I type this, loaned to me by a former US Colonel. Very nice set it is, although I would like a more detailled map with more tactical maps.

I can get topogaphic maps of modern terrain. I need geographic coordinates. Not all possible, but much maps I can get simply from bookshop.

Or if you mean operations maps... well sorry than I have not much real good info ... omly shemas with blue and red arows :D and names of battlle groups.

[ January 10, 2003, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: Leit ]

Yes the west point campaign maps are something I'm looking for.. I'm suprised David Glanz hasn't released an atlas, it seems like he has so many maps. At his lecture he was selling many unpublished works of his own.. I should have dove right in while I had the chance, maybe there was an atlas in there.

I'm just shocked Cassell or Osprey (or the like) has'nt put out an eastern front atlas.

Note to self: win lottery. publish east front atlas

Oh well, the Cassell WWII atlas is one the list for now..

Yes the west point campaign maps are something I'm looking for.. I'm suprised David Glanz hasn't released an atlas, it seems like he has so many maps. At his lecture he was selling many unpublished works of his own.. I should have dove right in while I had the chance, maybe there was an atlas in there.

I'm just shocked Cassell or Osprey (or the like) has'nt put out an eastern front atlas.

Note to self: win lottery. publish east front atlas

Oh well, the Cassell WWII atlas is one the list for now..

This isn't exactly an atlas, but I found a website that has modern topographic maps of the Ukraine. Unfortunately it only has two districts right now (Lvov and Uzhhorod) but looks like they might be adding more...then again maybe not.

http://www.infoukes.com/ua-maps/oblasts/

Here is a little site that has the Russian alphabet if you want to translate the town and city names....it's pretty easy to do even if you don't know the language

http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Track/7635/alphabet.html

I found the mapping website helpful in designing my own maps and getting an idea what the terrain in that area looked like.

Jeff Leslie

Great responses! Col. Glantz will get the nod here.. I can say from his lectures that his maps are legit.. they were soviet maps with his annotations on them which is nice (seeing they are in russian)..

I am needing these maps to follow along in Erickson's Road to Stalingrad so an operational atlas is what's needed in the long run (my library is calling for one anyways)

Erickson certainly could create an atlas to go along with his publications, but maybe he'd just be reprinting the same maps Col Glantz has?

Regardless, I'll make the investment seeing how rare EF atlases seem to be.. thanks alot

"I gotta hand it to the Krauts, them Stugs is bad news." - MickeeMao somewhere in Hungary

THE ATLAS OF EASTERN FRONT BATTLES

by Will Fowler

Hardcover

192 pages

Publisher: Doubleday Direct

Publication Date: May, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where was it advertised? I've searched online bookstores and it's not listed anywhere.

The History Book Club offered it, and still does on their web page. They sometimes have titles printed especially for the Club. This may be one of those instances.

Originally posted by Dook:

I can't vouch for it, but saw this advertised recently. It might meet your needs.

by Will Fowler

Hardcover

192 pages

I happen to have this book. It's more like a picture book; there aren't more than one or two maps every five pages and they're completely useless for CMBB. As a whole the book is less than impressive, and for CMBB purposes its chief use is in looking at the photographs. IMHO.

Got it for five bucks; it's probably worth about that.

Scott

Originally posted by ichadwick:

Chuikov is listed as the leader of the 64th Army on page 22, and I'm pretty sure he was only ever commander of the 62nd (later renamed to one of the Guards armies). Any grognards able to confirm or refute this?

Don't think this was ever answered. Chuikov was indeed commander of 64th Army , fighting northwest of Stalingrad, before he took over 62nd in the city itself, IIRC

Originally posted by Scott B:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Dook:

I can't vouch for it, but saw this advertised recently. It might meet your needs.

by Will Fowler

Hardcover

192 pages

I happen to have this book. It's more like a picture book; there aren't more than one or two maps every five pages and they're completely useless for CMBB. As a whole the book is less than impressive, and for CMBB purposes its chief use is in looking at the photographs. IMHO.

Got it for five bucks; it's probably worth about that.

Scott</font>

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by MickeeMao:

Does anyone know of a good East Front Military Atlas, or failing that, a WWII atlas that does a decent job of covering the East Front?

Thanks!

I asked the Russian Embassy in London the same question some 15 years ago and they sent (free) several decent Russian-published books translated into English with maps and photos,nothing earthshaking but interesting nevertheless. And before you ask,no sorry I don't still have 'em,gave 'em away long ago! redface.gif