"ripping" MG42 sound mod?

I think I've already found all the mods for MG42 on CMMODS. IMO, none of the sounds do the MG42 justice as the "buzzsaw". They simply don't sound right to me, they sound like just a high rate of fire MG where you can hear each bullet being fired. You shouldn't be able to hear each individual bullet leaving the barrel.

The first link's okay, but the second one's terrific, for it's the Mail Call segment, to include parts of the once Restricted War Dept. MG-42 training film. There are some side by side comparison firings, so you can get a sense of the thing's blazing ROF, and some great pure MG-42 firing sequences, from which you can get a good idea of how the gun ought to sound.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ August 28, 2007, 03:08 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Long time lurker, first time post! I'm still looking for the ultimate MG42 sound for CM. Does anyone know if NCrawler completed his sound mod for CMAK?

I want to just about duck when I hear that familiar ripping sound. I liked some files that someone posted a while back but they only consisted of 5 files and not the full 12.

Oh well I'll have to stick with BF original sounds for now.

Also does anyone have a cool sound for the Tiger? I'm using the Panther one at the moment cos that sounds grunty. smile.gif

I don't know if NightCrawler finished his sound mod for CMAK. I suspect not, because it would be posted at CMMODS if it were.

But if it's just a question of finding another machine gun sound, you could always go to the old CMHQ site, download his original sound mod for CMBO, identify the MG42 sounds (there's probably more than one), renumber, back up your originals, and copy and paste into the sound folder. I used to do something like this with the jeep sound because it was disproportionately loud.

The problem that you'll find, though, is that it is hard to just switch one sound. You really need to be able to hear what the range of sounds sounds like relative to each other. But the MG42 is such a distinctive sound that you might be able to get away with it.

It's been a while since I looked at sound mods, but I remember feeling crushed when, after spending two weeks finding the perfect set of sounds, I noticed after I installed them that they tended to have an audible click when they finished playing. I ran a few of them through a sound editor, and discovered that the click was easily discernible. In other words, the mod hadn't been finished, and the person who released it needed to clip the last half second off of about three hundred wav files. I could never use that mod, because all I could hear was the click, and would then get overwhelmed by the mental calculation of how much time it would take me to fix it.

I'm not sure I remember which one had the click at this point (or even which game -- it was either CMBO or CMBB). But what sticks in my mind is that, apart from the click, it had far and away the best sounds. Really heartbreaking. If you ever use it you'll notice immediately, which is another reason why you should always, always, always back up your originals.

The click wasn't coming from a single sound. It was coming from a variety of sounds, and I think it was even in the firing sounds (though not that noticeable). But where it really stood out and drove me up the wall was with the movement sounds. And that means you hear it a lot. I ran it through a sound editor that translates sound into a graphic display, just to see if I was imagining it, and sure enough there was this large spike at the end of each clip.

I think the problem had to do with how the modder extracted and processed his sounds, and I suspect that it actually effected all the sounds in his mod. I'm afraid I can't be more detailed because it was stored in a very organized way on my old computer which experienced computer death over a year ago. So that and all the half-finished graphics mods I was making are permanently gone.

I'm not a sound modder (apart from putting together a few selections of opening music), but I'm pretty sure it would be possible to get the sound off that video. There are people floating around here who really understand the mechanics, so you'd have to consult one of them. Having said that, the problem will be getting the quality and the timber to the same level as that in the game. There was once a project at Punta de Lanza and one of the other Spanish-speaking game sites to produce a Spanish version of the German voices in CMBB. After a couple of iterations they produced an absolutely brilliant mod with fantastic voice acting (much better and more convincing that the original), but the quality of the sound recording was very bad and filled with static. Still, it works really well with East Front scenarios about the Blue Division.

[ October 25, 2007, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Philippe ]

Hi Philippe,

I think that click that you mentioned is caused by not correctly looping the audio track which is something NCrawler mentioned a while back.

And I have solved the mystery of those five wav files of the MG42. They are indeed NCrawler's from his 1.6 sound mod on the CMHQ site. I think they are by far and away the best sound of an MG42 in full pelt and I highly recommend them. Note that they are for CMBO so there are only 5 files and 440-442 are for HMG whereas 445-446 are for LMG.

Now I hope he responds to my email hehe.

I finally found a more or less working version of TCMHQ, but the links to the downloads don't seem to work. A shame, there was some really nice stuff in there.

I think Warfare HQ was where Scipio's material was housed. It had some very nice sound material. But I think they stopped hosting mods (other than scenarios) about two migrations back. Best bet would be to contact Scipio directly. I think I saw him on the boards somewhere a couple of weeks ago.

Herr Wittman,

You're not going to believe this, but I actually communicated with Ncrawler myself about 4 months ago and he wrote this to me:

The file NC_CMBB.zip is indeed my earlier mod for CMBB. I don't think that I ever released the CMAK mod, so you will be the only one besides

myself that has it... smile.gif You can get it from here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/42747081/CMAK_Sound_Mod.zip.html

I knew I got it from somewhere! I hope it's still available.

For those interested in the uncompleted CMAK sound mod. You can get it from here: http://rapidshare.com/files/65371050/CMAK_Sound_Mod.zip

This is stored on my premium rapidshare account so it should be there for a while. Just note that I never did finish this mod so some of the sound fx may not be the best quality. I can assure you however that there are no 'clicks' at the end of the sounds... smile.gif

BTW, to the guy that was talking about the 'clicks' in the sounds: this was most likely caused by the conversion to/from .wav to .mp3. I tried to tell people years ago that converting your sounds to .mp3 to save space was a bad idea. I've always released my mods as uncompressed .wavs so if you find any of mine stored as .mp3s then someone else did that...