CMAK will not make CMBB obsolete

When CMBB came out, I had to stop playing CMBO. The CMBB infantry model was so different (i.e. better and more realistic) than in the previous game that it made CMBO obsolete and unplayable for me. I have not returned to the West Front since.

It does not appear that history will repeat itself when CMAK is released. Unless there are some very significant improvements that are still secret, it seems to me that CMAK is basically CMBB in the desert with dust effects. That isn't a bad thing, because it means CMBB is still the 'state of the art', more or less, and will be so until CMx2 is released.

I'll be able to enjoy a couple years where I have two excellent games, CMAK and CMBB, that I can play simultaneously, and that together cover a great deal of the ETO under the same 'game system'.

CMBB is going to have a long shelf life indeed.

Just an observation.

You may be right, but on the other hand maybe there is some small tweak that will make people pick CMAK over CMBB.

Maybe there is a crucial AI (tac AI or strat AI) tweak or some other significant change that will make CMAK the game to play ...

Devs and people whith CMAK experience, comments please !!!

//Salkin

Even if it is exactly the same as CMBB with no tweaks etc there will be a major shift in games played. The one thing I believe will make CMBB gather dust is the fact that you can play a greater variety of Allied troops, as many more nationalities are represented (eg Aussies :cool: ). Added to this is the likelyhood that you will effectively be able to play CMBO (ie a normandy type setting) but with the CMBB engine.

Originally posted by Pud:

The one thing I believe will make CMBB gather dust is the fact that you can play a greater variety of Allied troops, as many more nationalities are represented (eg Aussies :cool: ).

BUT there will be a far smaller variety of Axis troops (eg. no Finns :( ).

Since CMBB first came out I have asked for an early years game. AK comes close to that.

Why the early years?

An era of experimenting, (thus variations) with armor and infantry formations. The player could design his own force (within limits) without much

criticisim because that is what was happening.

Less emphasis on the big armor vs bigger gun race.

Interesting AFVs. (also could be read 'quirky')

If an Early Years game does come out the new game engine will be required to handle the variety. For instance tanks with multiple main armaments.

Maybe then the cavalry and motorcycle enthusiasts will have their wishes granted too.

Quirky..... Toad

Meh. I'll definitely buy it but the North Africa stuff is uninteresting to me. I want to see lots of Sicily and Italy, particularly well modelled mountainous terrain (like eichenbaum's recent stuff). But from what I've seen of the screenshots it looks very promising. It'll be nice to play Canadian troops with the AI improvements.

I am definitely getting tired of the distinct lack of upside down tin soup bowl helmets and hot-tea grenades and lumberjack jackets and eskimo smg squads.

I can well imagine after romping across Italy and N. Africa for awhiile one could get the urge to play QB of ISU-122 sp guns vs King Tigers in blizzard conditions for a change-of-pace. :D;)

I envision CMBB and CMAK being a single vast 3 gig game of unprescidented scope. Doesn't the Battlefront main page say they're eventually going to start bundling the two games together for sale?

[ October 27, 2003, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

I totally agree that CMAK won't make CMBB obsolete. I do look forward to playing in the desert and using the Allies again, but the Eastern Front is just so huge with so many variables I don't see how I could stop playing it.

I agree with MikeyD when he said, "I envision CMBB and CMAK being a single vast 3 gig game of unprecedented scope."

That's my take exactly.