Possible bug...

Ok, a squad of mine runs into a minefield in tall pines, suffers a casualty, and goes into shaken status. The squad continues its movement order, which was a run to the next bit of trees, except it is now sneaking into open ground instead of running as it should have been.... does this make sense? This post is not intended to be negative about CMBB, but to me this does not make sense. I'm just trying to help. Apologies if this sneaking issue has been brought up before...

yes... your units reserve the right to change their orders on the fly... this seems to almost invariably occur when they take casualties after having come under fire... at the end of the 'movie,' you can re-set their orders to something else during the next orders segment... experience shows me that... if they went to 'sneak' during the last 'fast,' they're probably going to disobey any subsequent attempt at 'fast...' so i would recommend any combination of 'advance,' 'sneak,' or 'hide' at that point...

Put yourself in their shoes. You have just seen one of your buddies turn into a cloud of red mist and some moron is telling you to run willy-nilly through the woods. Soldiers are not stupid (well most of them :rolleyes: ) and are not going to will try to carry out the intent of the orders (ie to get to their final location) without getting themselves reduced to paste. The switch to a sneak order simulates the fact that they are now on their hands and knees trying to find a safe path through the killing ground.

That is just it. They are in a mineFIELD and unless they planted it they don't know if they are on the edge or in the middle or even if they just happened to hit one that someone dropped. The sneaking command doesn't mean that they are now just moving crouched over, it means that they are now looking for trip wires or the prongs of a bouncing betty or signs of disturbed earth. They have also probably gone into a single file and are trying very hard to step in the footprints of the man in front of them. Nobody is going to be moving very fast when they know that anywhere they put their foot can kill them.

I agree, but they could just move, why pretell you have to sneak on a minefield? I understand that they move slowly one after another, but "sneak" means that they "move hidden" from enemy units, not mines.Maybe in game it's simulated with the command "sneak",but i understood it difrently.

Originally posted by Crazy:

I agree, but they could just move, why pretell you have to sneak on a minefield? I understand that they move slowly one after another, but "sneak" means that they "move hidden" from enemy units, not mines.Maybe in game it's simulated with the command "sneak",but i understood it difrently.

The risk of setting off a mine is less when using move than fast. So I guess it decreases even more if you are using sneak. At least it works that way in unspotted minefields.

If you think about it it actually makes sense in Real Lifeā„¢, if you are moving slow you are more likely to see signs of a newly diggen hole.

/Kristian

Remember the game only has a few movement commands to work with. If there was a 'Step lightly and carefully' move the AI would've picked that, but 'Sneak' was as close to it as it could get.

Most of us have heard/read enough minefield anecdotes from Vietnam to Persian Gulf war to know the first unexpected blast will most likely immediately stop a whole unit in its tracks.