CMBB QB Unit Purchasing Theories

Glad to hear that. In a QB ME I just started, I bought two motorized companies so have four of those bad boys. I know in CM:BO everyone hated them because they couldn't have an HQ target for them. But in BB you can so I placed them with an HQ unit. This is only my 5th PBEM game in progress so I was wondering if these would be wasted purchase points. Sounds like that isn't the case.

They can reposition rapidly, but you need to buy a HT for the HQ that will do the spotting too. I've had too many bad experiences with light armor showing up to let them fire on their own. If anything, I find them less robust than foot mortars to MG/HE fire.

Slappy wrote:

They can reposition rapidly, but you need to buy a HT for the HQ that will do the spotting too.
I've had pretty good luck without buying an extra HT for the HQ unit. Just put the HQ in woods or a building, and park the mortar HT behind it, out of the enemy's LOS, but within the HQ's command radius. You can also move the HT over to another HQ with an LOS to another target. Plenty of ammo and very mobile -- a great firepower enhancer for your panzergrenadiers!

[ June 05, 2003, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: shrek ]

• 2 weeks later...

I have only played 40 or so QB's on CM:BB yet, but I usually try to buy that infantry Bn, supported by onboard mortars.

I have found infantry to be the most reliable and consistent unit type, you know where you stand with those guys.

I basically deploy an infantry Bn with the SMG company where I figure I need to destroy lots of infantry fast.

Two firebases with HMGs, mortars and AT-guns are placed to cover the bulk of my infantry and take out flankers, armor and enemy gun positions.

At this point I have to admit usually playing the Russians. I am horribly afraid of German vehicles after -42, so I try to pick T70s or something in hopes of going around those StuGs. Earlier or during -42 some cheap tanks (with a preference to T70s) with a few KV1s will work well. Granted, my armored game is my weakest point, I have yet to achieve any success with T34s. Thus, leftovers are spent on armor, which is used to keep the enemy armor from blowing my grunts to pieces. Added bonus if I can locate and destroy enemy armor and use my tanks to suppress the enemy infantry, but I count on my AT-guns or aircraft to do most of the work vs tanks. Alas, whilst airforce has taken leaps and bounds in effectiveness since CM:BO they are still too unreliable and expensive for my tastes.

Artillery is too slow on QBs and apart from the fast mortar variety I usually skip it. What I have, I use to lay smoke when I move a lot of infantry or stall OPFOR advance in an ME if OPFOR takes the classic approach of rushing the flags.

I purchase similarly in smaller games where a Bn is out of the question.

1st priority: A bulk purchase of infantry

2nd: Onboard mortars

3rd: Combination of guns and tanks, depending on mission.

4th: Infantry platoons and/or support like HMGs.

5th: Artillery if I must

[ June 19, 2003, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: Ligur ]

• 2 weeks later...