Problem for deaf players

Is any way I can setting game or add MOD that will give caption texts or "ballons" when CMBB produce sound like "Ka-boom" or rat-ta-ta-ta or mortar/shells whisting oherhead or plane's engine roaring as attacking and more like that? Is German's MG firing in CB make certain sound that sound like tearing canvas up? I know it will look like comic books but more animation. What do you think? I wish I will able to know what's sounds that should alert me when play CMBB and soon to have a CMAK

Originally posted by eichenbaum:

It's just an idea; a Sound-Vibration Mouse.

Maybe this way you can feel the shooting and explosions on the battlefield.

Nils

Oh That's cool! I had heard of special chair that produce vibtration but it look so strange and may not soft as I like my recliner better. Mouse...that's good idea. I don't care if it is under $100.00 I will check it.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

CMBB and CMAK are a bit better for the hearing-impaired than CMBO was. In CMBB if your troops are being targeted by gunfire dirt will kick up around them. This visual cue helps a LOT.

Good idea however sometime when I send unit in assult mode into wood against emeny under wood that I don't know if my unit find enemy under wood due to block view unless I hit "tab" and "1" that I end up narrow view that I don't know how my other units doing that I have to check each units for any hit before make next turn. I can use "Shift T" however I may feel naked and may not fair for able see enemy as they may unable find tree hide behind tree and will go kneeing and beg me "Please do not act like god when playing with us" LOL!

Originally posted by WWB:

You could turn unit labels on (Shift-G). That will at least convey the information you need.

WWB

Okay...Are there any sound made on battlefield that may don't used warning label for example: Sound of soldiers movenemt in different speed? Sound of tank/AC moving in different speed even can tell different between type? Sound of FT? Sound of commander of tank being hit by sniper firing, before buttom up (need to know if score a hit)? I had see icon show up as it said "infanty sound" but what sound was? Are they cough or laugh or just stroll that what I was talk about? what does enemy firing their weapons like rifle or handgun or MG or deadly SMG. I need to know before I take risk to assult it's poistion or call up heavy weapon to fire at area. It happen to me as my squad got hit bad so I had to call several squads away from importand goal and assult "hidden and firing enemy" and it turn out it was tank crew armed with just pistols. I lost some good turns and plenty of my units reveal their poistions to other hidden emeny units and hits our untis bad. That's why I need to know what worth targets are by listen their weapon. I found most dangerous "hidden" target which is so fool to assult hidden enemy is SMG squad. Is that fact you hearing players have upper hand over deaf player with kind of sounds?

I have played a lot of wargames and personally feel the sounds in the CM games are mostly for effect there not strictly that usefull for gameplay imo.

I think you can generally tell more from the position of your soldiers, standing, running, hiding and by looking at their stats.

There may be some slight advantage but it is not as great as in some other games I have played such as for example first person shooters.

Originally posted by SBS:

I have played a lot of wargames and personally feel the sounds in the CM games are mostly for effect there not strictly that usefull for gameplay imo.

I think you can generally tell more from the position of your soldiers, standing, running, hiding and by looking at their stats.

There may be some slight advantage but it is not as great as in some other games I have played such as for example first person shooters.

For me, the sounds are extremely important as I watch the playback at reasonably out-zoom.

The "whoosh" of a rifle grenade or shrek, the boom-chk-chk of a sniper shot etc guide me to look in appropriate places.

This is not to say that the action represented

couldn't be seen if you were looking closely at

every unit in turn. I'm not aware of something happening that has a sound but _no_ visual representation, but it sure is easier if you have your attention grabbed by a sound.

If you had to look at every unit in turn for the full minute, and there are 60 units on the field, that's an hour of just looking!

GaJ.

Originally posted by Oddball_E8:

how about a soundmod that replaces the sounds with more easily identifyable sounds for deaf (ie, base tones with certain rythms)... so you can "feel" the sound from the speakers/subwoofer whatever... :confused:

I'm not deaf, but I can imagine that being good. Especially combined with the vibra mouse mentioned above. Just the ordinary sounds might not differentiate through vibra mouse (lots are pretty high frequency, which I'd be suprised if VM captures). But if someone were willing to mod all the sounds with distinct low frequency footprints it sounds like a winner for the deaf. It also sounds like a lot of work, though perhaps if the sounds simply have to be a code, then one could generate lots of them quickly and plop them in place?

GaJ.

I tried playing withought sound to see what difference it made and to be honest it didn't make a lot of difference but I think it very much depends on how you play the game and what settings you use.

I tend to play the game with the camera at a high elevation so I can see all of my troops, with unit bases on.

Where I think no sound would be a serious problem is if you play the game with the camera very close in and your units are very spread out across the map. In this situation your troops could come under attack and you could easily be not aware of it.

I found using the camera shake option helped a little. ( ie the screen shakes when an artillery barrage comes down or other larger weapons fire)

I also found that I had to pay a lot more attention as enemy units would pop up with less warning than if you can hear them coming.

Originally posted by Snow Leopard:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by WWB:

You could turn unit labels on (Shift-G). That will at least convey the information you need.

WWB

Okay...Are there any sound made on battlefield that may don't used warning label for example: Sound of soldiers movenemt in different speed? Sound of tank/AC moving in different speed even can tell different between type? Sound of FT? Sound of commander of tank being hit by sniper firing, before buttom up (need to know if score a hit)? I had see icon show up as it said "infanty sound" but what sound was? Are they cough or laugh or just stroll that what I was talk about? what does enemy firing their weapons like rifle or handgun or MG or deadly SMG. I need to know before I take risk to assult it's poistion or call up heavy weapon to fire at area. It happen to me as my squad got hit bad so I had to call several squads away from importand goal and assult "hidden and firing enemy" and it turn out it was tank crew armed with just pistols. I lost some good turns and plenty of my units reveal their poistions to other hidden emeny units and hits our untis bad. That's why I need to know what worth targets are by listen their weapon. I found most dangerous "hidden" target which is so fool to assult hidden enemy is SMG squad. Is that fact you hearing players have upper hand over deaf player with kind of sounds? </font>

Sound does come in handy the first time a heavy machinegun or an infantry squad opens up on your troops. It tells you you're under fire and what sort of weapon is firing. But after all hell has broken loose and everyone's firing at everyone it can be difficult to isolate discrete noises. One rifle squad sounds like the next rifle squad. The advantage a hearing person has drops dramatically. This is where the "ricochet", "partial penetration", and infantry 'alerted" text messages really become useful for everyone.