"We go" NEW?

While I love the CM line( I have bought CMBO, CMBB, plus Flight Leader and Stategic Command)

One thing is bugging me is We GO!

To my recollection this is not new.

I enjoyed playing a game called OVERRUN on my Commodore 64.

It was written in 1989 by Gary Grigsby for SSI.

This is a link to some screen shots:

web page

Mind you this was written and run on a C64 so the graphics do not compare.

Unit were squads, individual vehicles, and anti tank teams. You give your units commands and then it was "hands off" while everything happened.

I am a fan of Mr. Grigsby's work and thought it should be mentioned.

Just to be clear.

This was a 1 or 2 player computer game.

1.Set up units.

2.Give command to your units.

3.Start combat phase

repeat steps 2 and 3.

It was cool you could play:

Arab vs Israel

Nato vs Soviet

The Abrams tank and T-80

Reactive and choblam(?) ceramic armour

Also had helicopters Apache, Heuy, Hind, and Lynx.

Alot of fun I miss playing now that I am thinking of it.

Moved pretty good to. Some of the other games I played they would sit there "thinking" forever.

I thought I saved the manual. It had all the unit data, though not as elaborate as CM.

Great Stuff.

[ February 22, 2005, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: chiavarm ]

TacOps also had it way before CM.

Don't stone me, but I think CM is actually not that great an implementation of WEGO, because they put too much TacAI into it and no SOPs (except pseudo-SOPs like the hunt command).

WEGO works a lot of better in TacOps with real SOPs and where infantry just stops when under fire and not starting to do random stuff.

At some point I'll have to download the demo and see how it works. I find the SOP screens a little off-putting though.

Having said that, I suspect that porting a few SOP features into CM might be worth considering ( TacOps SOP Light?). The Tac AI in CM can do some strange things sometimes, and could probably be improved with a little manual help. Not sure how much is appropriate in the one minute time slice, though.

Originally posted by Philippe:

Having said that, I suspect that porting a few SOP features into CM might be worth considering ( TacOps SOP Light?). The Tac AI in CM can do some strange things sometimes, and could probably be improved with a little manual help. Not sure how much is appropriate in the one minute time slice, though.

Actually it is doing less things per turn.

You don't change TacOps SOPs every few turns, in fact I usually only change them 2 or three times per game.

The CM equivalent of switching from fast to hunt (and hence effectively switching SOPs) can be done as many times within the same turn as you want.

Even if you watch it from a micromanagement-limiting point SOPs in a WEGO game are clearly both more realistic and reduce the player workload. The disadvantage is an extra dialog box and something more to learn for the luser.

And still have fond memories of their game dealing with the early development of armored warfare in WWII (can't remember the name, but it was so much better than Panzerblitz).
Quite possibly Kampfpanzer. IIRC that was one of the games with simultaneous movement. (Not to forget Tank! as well. Unfortunately Tank! had neither SOPs nor in-turn Tac AI -- how could it, it was a boardgame -- , so sometimes really stupid things happened....)