Total n00b here, help!

Hi folks,

I just ordered my copy of this game through Amazon and then surfed in here to get into the feeling of it after having played the Western front version first for quite some time.

So, I surf in here and the first thing I notice is that while having cashed out $45 for my game (plus shipping) I see to my horror that it seems that in one week some type of "Collectors edition" comes out with a bouns CD and a gazillion extra maps. Now, What can I do? This was not even advertised at the front page of this website and I found it by surfing the posts.

Am I now utterly lost or can I get those maps somewhere else? I have no idea how this moding thing works...Help!!!!

I ordered some hours ago this version:

Amazon link

Now it seems that stupid me while spending all that cash is going to get an old version when the new 2CD collectors Edition is comming out in one week.

Now, whats really anoying is that this information anout this "special edition" game is nowhere to be found on the website unless you dive into the forum...How should I have known? I would have waited that week and bought the real upgraded deal.

Is the loading of Mods easy? :( I feel already outdated without even having played a single game.

First off let me welcome you to the forum.

Welcome.

Let me assure you it is very easy to load maps and mods.

Also there are just a ton of Mods/Maps/Scenarios out there located at many different websites. Probably more than you could ever use.

And can’t you just cancel the Amazon order?

Originally posted by Ebusitanus:

Well, I could try but then where could I buy this Special edition game when it comes out? or even pre-order it.

If you already have CMBO I wouldn't bother.

All the mods, maps, and scenarios are readily available online. See the FAQ for links.

As fas a i know, collectors edition doesnt include anything you can't download from internet

it doesn't have any new features or anything, its just CM2 + extra mods and scenarios

most of the scenarios are from scenario depot

and the mods from combat mission mod central

i dont remember the links but can someone post em to this thread plz?

Ebusitanus, the Special Edition is coming out only in North America, not in Europe, that's why you missed it. Amazon.com for example is listing the US Special Edition. All I can say is to try to talk either with CDV or Amazon to cancel/change your order.

The announcement of the CMBB Special Edition was in fact on our front page until a few days ago, but I see that it's now gone (has been archived). We'll repost it as news immediately.

Martin

Well, I tried to reverse the purchase yesterday but it was too late already. Anyways...since now I´m doomed to the "old version" let me ask you this:

How do I download a scenario? do I send the download somehwere, do I have to unzip it first? I guess that once downloaded it has no further effect on the game, right? To play it, will I be able to choose this scenario from within the game or will I have to launch it from outside of the game?

Mods...Same questions regarding how to install those. Download into a certain game folder or to the desktop and then "launch"? Are the effects of the different Mods cumulative or one erases the previous one?

Do the official patches run into trouble with some Mods that might have been designed before the patch came out?

And most importantly, is there some type of an "ideal" Mod mix out there that those more veteran would recomend? Like a Flag Mod, uniforms, vehicles, terrain, etc..I have been browsing through hose websites and it gets mindboggling with so many Mods dealing with the same issues (Like a gazillion Mods for Flags and simbols..which to use?).

Please do not flame me now saying I should just read the forums making some search, etc...I´m a TOTAL n00b to these things of Mods and Scenarios and are pretty afraid of screwing it up and having a horrible first experience with this game.

Scearios that you download just need sticking in the scenarios folder.

Mods usualy need unziping and then the bmp's need to go in your bmp folder.

BACK UP YOUR OLD BMP'S FIRST

Just be aware that some mods have options for added markings and such like.

I tend to stick things like this in a seperate folder in my mod.

But in most cases read the read me.

As to choice of mod.What can i say but have a look and see what you like.

then you to can become a MOD SLUT

Thanks for the answer.

Ok with the Scenario thing...now Mods should go into the bmp folder.

Now, do I have to get a back up of my old bmp´s just so that I can revert to them if I do not like the new stuff? Cant I just reload the whole game if the Mod results are not to my taste?

So, as soon as I take a Moded bmp into my Bmp folder it changes the old settings or do I have to erase the old material? Would there be not a conflict? How does a new Mod reeplace automatically the old generic one?

There are just soooo many Mods...Is there not a "dream list" somewhere as to what would be the most optimal list nowadays? Or..can I download them all? Is there some limit in Mods?

Although I'm a bit of a mod slut myself I'd also like to point out that CMBB is perfectly good without mods. Don't think that because you're getting the version of CMBB without a mods CD that you're getting an inferior product....you aren't. Mods are usually very much a matter of taste. My advice would be to forget mods for a while, just play the game and enjoy it then when you've got a good idea what all the graphics look like you can decide what you want to change. For example if you think that the Panzer IVs look OK in the game but you don't like the look of the T34s you can start to look for T34 mods. If you're happy with the way the uniforms look then fine but if you think they should look a bit different then check out the uniform mods. I really wouldn't let an obsession with mods get in the way of just playing and enjoying the game.

By no means would I just change stuff for the sake of changing it..but from other Modable games I have enjoyed you tend to find that certain vehicles, uniforms, terrain, etc...just is not right for one reason or the other and that this particular Mod has been accepted as a "must" because its just better. So, from my experience there I would have thought that most ppl here tend to switch certain bmps, like the Nazi flag issue which I would think almost everybody does.

So, no I´m not so eager at this time to change that Soviet Slogan shade on the left side of my T34.

Please, someone on the Mod instalation issue of my last post on this thread? someone? smile.gif

Now, do I have to get a back up of my old bmp´s just so that I can revert to them if I do not like the new stuff? Cant I just reload the whole game if the Mod results are not to my taste?

reloading the whole game is a bit extreme if you only want a few original textures. Not to mention the fact that you'll overwrite all the mods that you like as well. I'd advise a backup. Just copy the BMP folder somewhere and zip it up.

So, as soon as I take a Moded bmp into my Bmp folder it changes the old settings or do I have to erase the old material? Would there be not a conflict? How does a new Mod reeplace automatically the old generic one?
When you place the mod in to your BMP folder it will ask you if you want to overwrite the existing file. Just say yes and the mod will replace the existing graphic. You can't get the old one back of course unless you've backed it up.

There are just soooo many Mods...Is there not a "dream list" somewhere as to what would be the most optimal list nowadays? Or..can I download them all? Is there some limit in Mods?
They are all a matter of preferance so everybody's taste will be different. The only real essentials I would say are winter mods because the game doesn't actually include any specific winterized textures for vehicles and infantry.

Since you say that winter camo is basically missing from the regular set up, in order to enjoy a snow scenario with such uniforms and tank paint you are basically saying that I would be erasing the normal "summer" paint bmp´s? So you would Mod your game "only" to play one scenario??? and then have to go through the hassle to change them yet again in order to play a summer scenario?

If I get this correctly, if I download a bmp that gives a dusty apearance to my T34 tracks, what I´m basically doing is changing the whole T34 image not just that particular piece? So, I can´t have a particular camo sheme for my Pz-IV but have those cool looking dusty tracks on the same time unless someone makes a bmp with both things together?

Since you say that winter camo is basically missing from the regular set up, in order to enjoy a snow scenario with such uniforms and tank paint you are basically saying that I would be erasing the normal "summer" paint bmp´s? So you would Mod your game "only" to play one scenario??? and then have to go through the hassle to change them yet again in order to play a summer scenario?

No. BFC didn't include any winter textures but they did include the code to show them if they are there. So basically you just put a winter texture in your BMP folder, it doesn't replace anything, and it shows up when you play a winter scenario.

If I get this correctly, if I download a bmp that gives a dusty apearance to my T34 tracks, what I´m basically doing is changing the whole T34 image not just that particular piece? So, I can´t have a particular camo sheme for my Pz-IV but have those cool looking dusty tracks on the same time unless someone makes a bmp with both things together?
No. there are several texture files per vehicle (some share) so if you downloaded a mod for dirty tracks you'd just get the dirty tracks and then you could have a separate cammo scheme if you wanted.

Golf grid??? :eek:

As I can see there is a myriad of tiny Mods that seldom overwrite each other. There should be a detailled compendium of available Mods with screenshots of their end result and a short explanation to them. As I see now, for those who have not hanging around this forum for the last year most if not all of the mods are a trail and error question due to the few info available about them.

There should be a detailled compendium of available Mods with screenshots of their end result and a short explanation to them.

There is a website that hosts many of the CMBB mods and there are previews and info for most of them. The website is currently down due to a hardware issue, but the guy who runs the site is dilligently trying to get it back up. Here's the link: http://www.cmmods.com/

CMMOS is good if you want to test a mod before using it. Not everything is CMMOS compliant, but there are some excellent mods available that you can download and try out without ever having to make a permanent change to your sacred BMP file. I think CMMOS will be included in the special edition.

CMBB looks pretty good as is. I haven't changed a thing yet except using the low resolution grass and such to improve game play on my near extinct graphics card.

Am I a mod slut? I modded CMBO until it looked like Grand Theft Auto. Then I realized I had gone too far.

I have been checking out this CMMOS engine and the Mods available and have a little doubt. Like here:

Winterfahrzeuge (Winter paint)

You have two "Rule sets" that seem to cover everything but then you have under these a whole line of Winter Mods. Are the rule sets supposed to cover everything and the Mods under them be some special paints that overwrite the general Winter "Rule sets"? Why this diference? Why not include those Mods into this "Rule sets"?

Ebusitanus, did you try McMMM for managing your mods ?

You dont need all those rulesets or special compliant mods and the interface is very easy to use.

Using the mod details option you can view the bmp files before you actually install it into the game, and if you dont like the mod then just uninstall and McMMM will put back your original bmp's.

cmmods.com is still down, but you'll find mods and a copy of McMMM here Temp Web Server .

There are also a few new mods previously unavailable at cmmods.com

If you are still looking for a gridded grass then the CW_Grass and CW_steppe files at the above link should be OK for you.

You would be better backing up your bmp folder if you can .... I just zipped mine up and put it on CD for safe keeping.

There really isnt that much involved in using CM mods and as another poster mentioned, you dont actually need them !