Grog Question: Tiger weight

Something that I never thought about before, but seems strange now.

Why was the Tiger so heavy, compared to the M26 and the IS-2?

Has anyone an answer to this? All 3 have thick armor, a heavy gun etc. , but still the Tiger is about 14 tons heavier than a M26. Strange.

Any feedback welcome.

For one thing, German tanks in general were just big. If you have two tanks with the same armour thickness but one was taller, then it'd be heavier. And this is true especially when comparing the IS and Königstiger. Someone posted once a very good drawing of how German and Soviet tank profiles compared, and the difference was notable. Doesn't Königstiger have one crew mate more than IS-2?

Another thing is that the German Panzer aces used to be beer-swilling pigs recruited from some Tirolische Kneipe that looked a bit like the today's average Yankee but thinner, which when compared to the midgets raised in Siberian Gulags didn't do very much good to the Tiger's suspension.

Another thing to consider is that the Tiger VIE achieved its good armour protection more from sheer thickness of metal rather than the actual slope on the armour contributing to the penetration resistance. Bear in mind that the Tiger was first designed back around 1940 compared with the mid forties for the IS2 & Pershing when it was well accepted by then that sloping the armour to achieve better protection was the way to go. The later heavy tanks were better shaped to resist AP shells but then they had the advantage of being the next generation.

Regards

Jim R.

A tiger's about 2 feet wider than an IS-2 (12 ft. as opposed to 10 ft.) That makes up much of the difference there. I think, too, as someone pointed out, the Tiger actually had substantially more armor than the IS-2 or M-26; it's just that the slope of the IS-2 and M-26's hull made their lesser amount of armor the functional equivalent of the tiger's armor. If the Tiger has to carry an extra inch of frontal armor across 12 feet and up however high the hull is...well, that's going to add up.

Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

A tiger's about 2 feet wider than an IS-2 (12 ft. as opposed to 10 ft.) That makes up much of the difference there. I think, too, as someone pointed out, the Tiger actually had substantially more armor than the IS-2 or M-26; it's just that the slope of the IS-2 and M-26's hull made their lesser amount of armor the functional equivalent of the tiger's armor. If the Tiger has to carry an extra inch of frontal armor across 12 feet and up however high the hull is...well, that's going to add up.

Actually, the frontal armour plates in Tiger I and Pershing are of the same thickness, and IS-2 front armour exceeds that of Tiger. However, Tiger has even in the rear 80-82 mm plates. In Pershing there is just 60 mm. I have always considered the armour of Tiger a big flaw in comparison to the much more functional one on Panther. If I was a tanker I'd rather have that extra weight in the front, thank you.

But sloped armour would have another effect: if we have two boxes with the same maximum measures of height, width and length, but one of them was rectangular and the other had tilted sides, then the one with tilted sides actually has less volume and surface area. Just think of the difference between the Pyramid of Kheops and the Borg Cube.

Originally posted by Herr Kruger:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by lcm1947:

All those things are true but don't forget the Tiger tank was gray. Have you ever seen a gray Pershing or IS-2?

Are you implying earlier Tigers were heavier than later wwar Tigers?! Besides, it's grEy... hehe </font>

Sloped armor does not neccessarily lead to a weight reduction, only when it comes along with some technological advances.

Remember you have to fit all that bulky stuff underneath the tank. Some of it you can shape however you want (e.g. the fuel tanks), but other you cannot. In particular, in early WW2, when the Tiger was constructed, the gearboxes were pretty bulky and you couldn't really shape them. The gearbox and much of the drive train are in the front of the Tiger. To slope the armor in front of it you would have to extend the length of the tank. Later, especially today, the parts in the front of the tank are constructed to fit a sharp nose.

And the crew needs space to move. In German tanks and especially in the Tiger they gave them a lot of space. Also, the Tiger carries a lot of ammunition in positions easily accessible to the loader. The Soviet tanks compromise crew space a lot.