Scouting

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by xerxes:

That was a very nicely done example of supporting units (both for spotting and fire support).

One detail. You're using advance for your scout, if you use MTC w/ a covered arc you'll avoid the scout pushing on into a wall of bullets and getting creamed. Move is also a good option for basic scouting.

True, true, the MTC w a CA is possibly the best way to advance when enemy could be lurking behind the next bush.

About move vs advance, I've lately used advance for situations like this because the recon team appears to have a better chance of going a few meters deeper whilst taking cover & even shooting back. Those few meters are instrumental in spotting the enemy more accurately, but this is just my prefence. I am the first to admit there must be a plethora of amazing tourney players who always scout with "move." With move I will too often stop dead on my tracks, advance takes your team a bit farther with some possibility of survival and this can lead to more spotted units. With simple move I would've discovered an "infantry sound" at most before Krupnov & comrade would've suffered a severe trauma from lead poisoning.

I might be wrong though, just working on my meager experience.

Originally posted by Knaust:

Ligur,

why not Krupnov scouting with a combination of sneak-advance-sneak-contact movement....maybe the poor Krupnov could save his life :rolleyes:

But he didn't die...

Dissecting my orders, I approve since this might be instrumental for a new player to learn something.

However I was going in pretty much gun-ho with a humorous contribution with undertones of learning in mind more then a superior tactical guide.

Please admire a soldier of the 114th Zombie Division.

undeaddivision.jpg

[ June 19, 2003, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Ligur ]

Your presentation reminds me why the Russians (and I've been doing it lately too) would often set up dummy defensive positions just ahead of their main positions.

Imagine if your recon had spotted those trenches with a couple green infantry teams in them. They'd call for the assault, shells would rain down on the dummy position, the Russians would tire themselves assaulting the position, only to find the main body laying in wait deeper in the woods!

This isn't saying anything against your recon tactics, I'm stressing the need to do a THOROUGH recon to keep ourselves out of trouble!

Just a thought, I know your 'scouting by artillery' was meant as a joke, but perhaps your scout could put a few rounds of area fire into that patch of woods before proceeding to them. Maybe he can draw some tell-tale return fire from a safe distance. Not exactly stealthy, but it sounds safer tha walking through the woods and stumbling on an SS squad!

[ June 19, 2003, 12:52 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

If you are not ready to engage the enemy when contact is made, why scout at all.
Because you might convince the enemy that you ARE ready to engage there. In the right situation, that can be worth a great deal.

Just walking up to get killed, by itself, certainly doesn't accomplish much, though.

MikeyD,

I had some rum so I will now rant in a long winded fashion. I enjoy discussion too. First off my posts were not meant to be the definitive guide to scouting a position, the whole set was born in a few hours for fun AND a basic tactic for a situation like Popov had. Yes, I could area fire all the places I scout first, sometimes I do that. Also raking the trench system for 3 minutes in the first place can be considered stupidity but there are many "buts" to consider. I could make a whole website of different how-to scenarions.

For example in a small battle I can be relatively sure my OPFOR will place some of his troops to those trenches. Why? Human nature I guess. Using 30 points to fool me into using 150 points worth of artillery surely is a winning combination but check out the layout, basically the trench system already IS the secondary, primary line of defence in that instance. I could've wasted all my ammo on the first patch of woods just as well. Or just run my platoon straight on to be slaughtered. Or use 10 more rounds utilizing a squad splitted into teams to scout deeper and through the flanks. Anything depending on the circumnstances.

Any number of us who have played the game have utilized a huge variety of faints and deceptions in an attempt to win. I am well aware of this. So, IMHO, there are endless variations to counter and counter-counter recon or defence, often in CMBB your actions are very much dependant of time and amount of ammunition you are able to waste to achieve a single objective with the troops deployed for the task. The sinle most defining factor IMO is the points allocated to each side, the size of the map, the timelimit, the number and location of flags. You can throw all that out of the window the minute you step out of the game engine but as long as your playing a CMBB QB 1500 pts Axis attack two 300 pts flags there are a fair amount of assumptions you can make.

I tried to adapt my funny pics to a more or less typical quick battle type situation where you are well aware there is not going to be a division of enemy troops versus your two platoons.

I remember the discussion about how differently people handled their forces when attrition actually matters, like in the CM meta campaign games. If I really would have cared about Popov and his detachment I would have been infinitely more weary if faced with a similar situation in a game vs, for example, you.

Any one of us could whip out a funny presentation on how exactly you are supposed to take out two StuGs with a platoon of BT70s, and then we could conceive and infinite number or cons and fakes to counter that. But all that is very welcome! Like the great guy from the 1700th century who invented superior defensive positions for that era and forts to be constructed in the field, and then for good measure published a manual on how to beat that defence the next year.

This is why we play the game!

God I love this game to death.

Originally posted by Killjoy12:

Any chance of posting the scenario as well? It'd be fun to try out.

Here, right click, save as.

Though be warned, it is shi**y for a scenario. Popov assaulting that hillock, nothing else. I doubt anyone will actually enjoy playing it.

http://www.toosa.net/~ligur/scout.zip

[ June 19, 2003, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Ligur ]

Originally posted by OZ77:

Ligur, I subscribe to common opinion- your posts are amusing and cognitive, thnx

I just wonder, how did you get all this russian curses?

Hay there, just fire up google, you'll be positively surprised.

Even more amusing is you can hear some very explisit language being used by the Russians ingame when you do some minimal research on Russian swearing. At least this is what I'm hearing.

And everyone thanks for the compliments, I had fun making the posts and even more fun reading the response.

Originally posted by OZ77:

Ligur, I subscribe to common opinion- your posts are amusing and cognitive, thnx

I just wonder, how did you get all this russian curses?

http://www.insultmonger.com/swearing/russian.htm

Help yourself.

WARNING: that site is not exactly safe for work or children if you are being under supervision (children are killa supervisors). No p*rn but foul language a-plenty.

Originally posted by Ligur:

Even more amusing is you can hear some very explisit language being used by the Russians ingame when you do some minimal research on Russian swearing. At least this is what I'm hearing.

[/QB]

Actually I dont need to do any research because Russian is my first language, but it was funny look trough this list of curses.

I am sorry for those CMBB players who dont understand russian wav files from CMBB. Sometimes it helps me to understand my opponent's units condition. For example when they are panic or out of ammo. As for German wav files I saw the translation somewhere on Grossdeutschland site.

CMBB players its time to learn some russian and german!!!! :D