Call of Duty viewed by a CMBB player...

While waiting for a boat on the Greek island of Chios, after checking e-mail in an internet cafe, I fired up Call of Duty 2-- the first time I'd ever played a first person shooter. It was set in 1941-1942, and I played a Soviet soldier. After about 90 minutes, I felt nauseous, so stopped and went for a walk along the harbourfront. My boat was late.

What a curious format-- a combination of Wolfenstein, whatever that game with the maze (where you had to pick up wands and jewels and potions), and some historical detail. It may be because I played it single player, but no provision for small-unit tactics-- i.e. no LMG covering fire, no fire and movement, only headless chickens with PPSh-41s. I also doubt a soviet soldier would lug a SMG and a rifle simultaneously...

But some good, CMBB-ey moments: a firing line in a factory building, facing Germans in snowsuits in another factory building across a courtyard just broader than grenade range; a mad rush to man a blocking position in front of a German Co-strength surge (during which yours truly, in best CMBB fashion, unloaded a PPSh drum at a German squad which had unwisely bunched in cover) an immediate, hasty counterattack against the remnants of the German surge, firing from the hip; the counter-attack floundering against a German squad, with two LMGs, in good cover; the insistant murderousness of LMG fire; one lone tommygunner (yours truly) crawling forward under cover of dead ground, silencing a LMG with a grenade, and spraying the rest with SMG fire; the discovery that SMGs are not made for spraying and praying, but for short aimed bursts-- all good fun.

Of no direct relevance, but interesting, at a different scale and with a different philosophy from CMBB,.. It may be that multi-player is different.

I had fun with CoD...it's not totally realistic, more movie real, but a good bit of fun...it'll draw you in...there are some great cinematic moments.

I play Brothers in Arms too and though there is no East Front setting, it's a blast and a lot less forgiving if you screw up (most shots kill you outright, depending on where you are hit). And being able to give orders to your squad adds to the depth.

Next to CM games shooters are my favorites.

Now if they could come up with a BIA type game with CM type scenario making and historical accuracy? Wow, you could create some really kick ass first person, historical scenarios.

Seal Team, as far as realism and history are concerned has to be the best squad level hybrid I have ever played...when you spend nearly forty five minutes in real life time sneaking your team up on a suspected VC village, because your guts are wound up tight and you are nervous, well you know they did something right.

Mord.

Originally posted by BeauCoupDinkyDau:

Yeah, I pretty much am a FPS slut too.

Wait a sec! Mord, are we brothers or somfink?

Well if you dig Heavy Metal and Blonds, we may be.

And as far as realistic...yeah, that's always arguable...but man, Seal Team?...great game...I always wished they would've taken that game and just updated the graphics (and a couple bugs)...it was so engrossing. The hand signal keys alone were kickass.

One of my greatest gaming experiences; I was approaching a village along a water way that I was assigned to sweep and search for enemy and any documents that might be there...Wasn't sure if any VC were in the area though. As I got near the out skirts, two VC burst out of the village and start running for the river. I switched my M16 over to my M79 thumper, and shot off a round just as they got to the water. It landed between them and went off. Everything was quiet. I made my way up to the water's edge and there they lay, floating, deader than crap. I was like man, THAT RULES! Awesome game!

Mord.

[ September 10, 2007, 05:07 PM: Message edited by: Mord ]

That's an interesting comparison between COD2 and CCMB, jtcm. smile.gif

Wasn't Seal Team based on a flight sim engine? I meant to play it but never did. Nonetheless it was good to hear you guys reminiscing about a classic game.

My favourite FPSs are the quasi-realistic varieties - Ghost Recon and the early Tom Clancy shooters - Rainbow Six, Rogue Spear, Raven Shield, etc. SWAT 3 & 4 deserve honourable mentions too as well at Operation Flashpoint and Armed Assault.

Currently playing Stalker between bouts of CMSF and Steel Beasts.

I too had that CoD and CoD UO experience shortly ( followed by Red Orchestra) since I was able to assemble a PC that could run these games with reasonable frame rates. (Athlon XP 1600+ replaced my vintage P2-300) I had lots of short time exitement and entertainment from these games and CoDUO is only played through half way. Lacking internet access from home, no way to try MP unfortunately, which surely gives the option to experience more realistical actions. I was able to run RO in single player mode (with most stupid bots as opponenets), by registering at a friends computer (with internet access), but after doing a bit of sightseeing and bot shooting the exitement faded quickly again. The looks and environment are most impressive though!

If ever a WW2 version CMX2 (Shock Force) is about to be released, I hope it has the looks and intensity of the mentioned games, but with the inbuilt realism of BFC games. :cool:

Hey Mord, I´m digging Metal as well, even running an band as guitarist, but prefering brunettes! :D

Seal Team? Wow long time no see it mentioned anywhere. Just took the box from the shelf to see when it was released; 15 years ago! Was very good for its time IIRC. Just lately I tried Vietnam - Line of sight from a game DVD, but wiped it from the hard dive quickly again. Good looks, but almost unplayable when it comes to game play and entertainment. tongue.gif

Heard that Vietcong should be a good FPS.

Now back to my CM PBEM games and scenario design! smile.gif

I use to play COD:UO to death, played on a server with a great bunch of guys. Allot of team work and rifle action - unlike most servers.

I thought the SP part of COD2 was good but i havnt played the multiplayer part since the first few go's - most people in my exp were running around with shotguns!

British desert maps had most of the British team armed with garrands and the Germans with MP44s etc

Killed the fun for me, for some strange reason no one seemed to co-op as much as they use to either.

Last time i played anything online other then CM lol

Man, I played CoD a lot! I seemed to have misplaced the CD though. :(

Finding fun servers is paramount to the online enjoyment. Some seem to attract grade A arseholes, most are filled with the general f-ing populace and then there is that rare gem, a server with realism settings of one sort or another and a crew of mainly old farts that don't accuse you of camping if you don't SMG rush every goddamn time.

Originally posted by RockinHarry:

Hey Mord, I´m digging Metal as well, even running an band as guitarist, but prefering brunettes! :D

Seal Team? Wow long time no see it mentioned anywhere. Just took the box from the shelf to see when it was released; 15 years ago! Was very good for its time IIRC. Just lately I tried Vietnam - Line of sight from a game DVD, but wiped it from the hard dive quickly again. Good looks, but almost unplayable when it comes to game play and entertainment. tongue.gif

Shoot me an email and tell me what bands you like.

Vietcong had lots of potential. I was into it big time for the first couple missions but it ended up becoming too Doom like in it's level construction...started feeling more like an indoor run and jump and shoot a thousand enemies game than a truer depiction of Vietnam shoot outs...that and if you lost anybody in your squad you'd lose the mission.

Glad to see there are a bunch of dudes in this thread that remember Seal Team.

Now, I am gonna go reload all my CoD and BIA games...you guys got me pumped up to play again.

Mord.

Mord.

Originally posted by Mord:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RockinHarry:

Shoot me an email and tell me what bands you like.

Mord. </font>