Sandstorm in CMAK?

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

Nor should it really. Fighting tends to stop for sandstorms

Don't sandstorms often develop quickly in the desert? I wonder if it ever happened that a sandstorm started while a fight was already in progress? I'm no meteoroligist, but I'd be willing to bet it did, and often. How would something like that be modelled? Any thoughts?

In fact, I've often thought that changing weather and conditions would add a lot to CM. Not to CMAK, of course, because it's pretty much on the shelves, but definitely food for thought for later products. Rain showers, for example, or downpours could have a drastic effect on the outcome of a battle. Reduced visibility and mud come to mind. And what about fog? It would be interesting to make it more of a fluid and changing variable instead of the Stephen King / gothic horror novel fog already in CM.

Of course, none of these things will happen anytime soon, but maybe in CMX2?

[ September 20, 2003, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Cabron66 ]

Originally posted by zukkov:

well if not sand "storms", then how about dusty weather? i mean that there's enough sand/dirt in the air to significantly reduce visibility...

I *think* there is a recent post to the effect that dusty weather is included. I could really be wrong about that, though.

EDIT: Just did a search and couldn't find it. So take my recollection with a giant grain of salt (or sand) -- I'm probably wrong.

[ September 21, 2003, 12:52 AM: Message edited by: Becket ]

Originally posted by Cabron66:

Don't sandstorms often develop quickly in the desert? I wonder if it ever happened that a sandstorm started while a fight was already in progress? I'm no meteoroligist, but I'd be willing to bet it did, and often. How would something like that be modelled? Any thoughts?

Sure... and the fight would quickly end. Hmmm... now there is justification for turn limits...

Originally posted by Becket:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by zukkov:

well if not sand "storms", then how about dusty weather? i mean that there's enough sand/dirt in the air to significantly reduce visibility...

I *think* there is a recent post to the effect that dusty weather is included. I could really be wrong about that, though.

EDIT: Just did a search and couldn't find it. So take my recollection with a giant grain of salt (or sand) -- I'm probably wrong. </font>

Originally posted by Berlichtingen:

The battle started at 06:00. A sandstorm hit at 06:20. Justification for a 20 turn scenario

Interesting. I assume you're talking about an historical battle. In reality the battle did end with a giant sandstorm so you use the turn limit to effectively model the event. Well, it would be much easier than actually including the sandstorm itself, wouldn't it?

Of course, it would have to be a fairly fast sandstorm to suddenly eclipse a battlefield in a single turn with no visible meteorological change in the preceding turns. Of course, I'm refering to the CM universe's tendency to have fairly constant weather patterns. Perhaps we should leave this sandstorm / time limit feature out for CMX2 as, clearly, CMAK won't have the ability to model the subtle changes that occur as the desert goes from normal to screaming winds filled with choking sands.

Would you include that sandstorm / turn limit thing in a fictional battle? Perhaps in that case an air force meteorologist could intervene and predict the arrival of a sandstorm in exactly twenty minutes.

The same approach could be taken for any act of God. An earthquake or perhaps a volcanic eruption could also be used to explain the turn limit. What about a monsoon? Did the troops suddenly go belly up when the rainy season hit? Sounds ridiculous, but let me tell you. A monsoon is no laughing matter.

[ September 21, 2003, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Cabron66 ]

Originally posted by Ant:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Real bad sandstorms won't be simulated. Combat didn't take place under such harsh conditions, people would usually just hunker down and wait until it was over. If you can't see the hand in front of your face and breathe more sand than air, combat is the last thing on your mind. But light sandstorms are not all that much different from fog conditions in that they mainly restrict lines of sight and sound detection, so we'll allow them as an option.

[/QB]</font>

Originally posted by Ant:

Here's the recent interview:

http://www.wargamer.com/articles/combatmission_afrikakorps_interview/

Oww, ouch. The interview has an ad for the travesty that is squad assault next to it. After Matt's last set of comments on that, he probably won't be too chuffed about that. Where is von Shrad with the van when you need him?

Wasn't Martin called 'Turewicz' or sumfink last time I checked? Wonder what happened there... or is there another Martin. How can I, as a beta tester, be so clueless?

Originally posted by Cabron66:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ant:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Real bad sandstorms won't be simulated. Combat didn't take place under such harsh conditions, people would usually just hunker down and wait until it was over. If you can't see the hand in front of your face and breathe more sand than air, combat is the last thing on your mind. But light sandstorms are not all that much different from fog conditions in that they mainly restrict lines of sight and sound detection, so we'll allow them as an option.

</font>

Let me try and clear the sand from peoples eyes a bit here.

Sandstorms are not in CMAK for all the reasons mentioned above. In short, when there is a sandstorm blowing, combat ceases.

Desert Fog however, is modeled. Not really *fog* in the true sense of the term, desert fog simulates the fine particles of sand in the lower atmosphere which can occur due to various meterological conditions.

In the game, the effect is basically similar/same to normal fog (reduced LOS and spotting deminished).

It is displayed like regular fog but is sandy in color instead of gray.

This does mean that if you have an ATI card and run Windows, you won't see it, since ATI cards do not support fog tables or for table emulation in their Windows drivers.

As to Martin and magical mystery changing last name... Well, have a look at the About Us page.

Madmatt

[ September 21, 2003, 03:08 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Regarding dust clouds in CM:AK, I have noticed that they look rather "thin" in many screenshots, just like CM smoke, in general, looks rather transparent on my system (GForce 4 Ti 4200).

Would it be technically possible to have different settings of translucency for smoke/dust? That being the case one could toggle the setting to "transparent" for giving orders and surveying the battlefield and to "opaque" for watching the movies.

Regards,

Thomm