Clash of Steel!

Mozzer

From the description and the screen shots this looks like an an update of the classic WW2 Strategy in Europe game from SSI 'Clash of Steel'. From the shots of the European map the cities, rivers and borders seem in exactly the same place. This isnt a criticism as Clash of Steel was an excellent game. If youve never played it I would definitely recommend it and it is available on many of the 'underdog' and 'forgotten ware' sites. Its one of my favourite games ever so an updated and improved version would be wonderful! Typical, you wait for years for a WW2 grand strategy game and then two come along at once like our British buses. The other WW2 grand strategy game being developed is 'Hearts of Iron' by Paradox Entertainment. Oh, by the way, couldnt you refer to the occupants of these fair islands as British rather than English as the Scots, Welsh and Irish (as well of course as our kith and kin in the rest of the Empire/Commonwealth) all played their part in defeating Hitler!

Yes they may look similar, it is a similar scale and the it is the map of Europe at that time so the borders, rivers and city locations will by default be the same, but I would safely say that it is a very different game... although there

are bound to be similarities with any type of grand strategic game that covers the European Theater.

Having played and loved games like Clash of Steel, Panzer General, Axis and Allies (some a lot more than others smile.gif ) there will be influences here and there, but what I have tried to do is create a much more realistic model of warfare for this type of grand strategy game which most likely has not been done quite this way for this scope/level (can't say for sure I haven't played every European Theater game out there). Things like real to life HQ's, entrenchment, experience, true strategic bombing of individual cities, ports, mines, oil production areas etc., full individual naval units that can be freely moved around the board and so on which I think European Theater fans will really enjoy.

I just read a post on PC-Games-War-Historical that described their initial assesment as follows:

"There have been only a few decent

WW2 grand strategic wargames on the PC (non-shareware). I can only

think of Third Reich, High Command, Clash of Steel and Axis and

Allies. Strategic Command looks like it combines the best of all four

games."

I think that this is probably a very good way to describe this game (not even including some of the novel features), and if you've ever played any of these games and enjoyed them then I think that this will be the game for you!

Hubert

[ April 19, 2002, 01:40 PM: Message edited by: Hubert Cater ]

I think they will be both great in a different way. Strategic command seems to me to bring the traditional concept of grand strategy WW2 games to perfection. It takes the best from COS, High Command etc. and (hopefully) will have a challenging AI.

From my guessing, HoI on the other fork of the tongue will be more something like "Axis and Allies meets Europa Universalis". What is very intruiging in this game (for me) is

a) to be able to begin in 1936

B) to have all theaters of war coveredc) to be able to play every country seperately (e.g. Italy, Poland, even China ...)

Well, the bottom line is that I´m looking forward to both of them. smile.gif

Straha

I would guess that there will be situations when you will not have nearly enough time to do all that will be necessary, and other times when you can just goose the machine to get past those long, long November and December bogs. I wonder if they are going to have special unit modeling, such as mechanized, or mobile artillery? and if we will be able to send envoys to entice a reluctant Franco?

Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

Hearts of Iron is real-time, and Strategic Command is turn-based. I prefer turn-based 100% to real time.

Can you stop peddling that other game around here? Isn't this the second or third thread where I have seen you mentioning that crap?

If anyone is wondering which will be better, the answer will be neither. One will let you do what the other won't. SC and HOI will be so complementary that most of us who prefer grand strategy will likely purchase both.

Nathanael

Kleist, part of our forum agreement states that we do not allow our forum to be used as a means of advertising. I will assume that you didnt know this but can I ask you to please respect this in the future.

Dan

[ April 23, 2002, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

In an (hopefully not totally futile) attempt to take the friction out of this a bit:

Strategy gamers just love to compare games to one another, be it a new game to old classics, to a game in development or what have you. There's nothing bad about it IMO as long as certain limits are respected.

And as a further consolation: I just saw that on the HOI board, SC is mentioned as well, and quite some folks find it promising. smile.gif

Straha

[ April 23, 2002, 08:12 PM: Message edited by: Straha ]

Straha, I have no problems with comparing games, but Im not sure that the post in question is comparing much. I think there may be a point when one decides that a game may not be for him when it is best if he should leaves those interested to allow them to discuss the game without interuption smile.gif

As forum members whom are interested in discussing SC were starting to get a little frustrated, I felt that it best I politely draw the line here and suggest (for the second time) that such posts may not be appropiate at this point, at least for now until both games have demos out smile.gif

Dan

[ April 24, 2002, 05:39 AM: Message edited by: KwazyDog ]

Originally posted by Compassion:

Why would a game that's obviously a 4X strategy game set in some mythical 30's like universe be more 'authentic' than a historically based game of the period?

Ok, Kleist may have been a little quick in his judgement, but.. what are we smoking here? 4X strategy game? "Mythical 30's like universe"? Huh? If you had bothered to read more than the first two lines of the game description you just might have been pleasantly surprised. FYI, they have not set out to do 'Axis & Allies meets Starcraft' here.

Judging by their previous effort, Europa Universalis II, their new WW2 game won't have too many shortcomings in the historically correct department.

No need of slamming any one game really. Both might very well turn out cool and then we will be twice as happy. Grand strategy games are far and few between after all. smile.gif

[ April 24, 2002, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: yarrick ]

Yarrack, very true...actually from what Ive seen these two games are quite different and may very well compliment each other in different areas.

On that note, I think Ill lock this thread up, as good points have been made and I think everyone can be in agreement of those. smile.gif

Dan