Combat Losses

Damaged unit's can be brought up to strength during your turn by right clicking on the unit and selecting 'reinforce' A small window pops up telling you what the maximum reinforcement value will be (depends on supply and available MPP) and what the cost and experience losses will be as a result. This will end the movement of that particular unit if it is 'reinforced'

Disbanding is also possible, but it will have to be in a good supply and not next to any enemy units to limit abuse. Plus only Axis/Allied majors can be disbanded.

Hubert

Does disbanding a unit return some MPPs to the pool? Is it based on unit strength and experience? For instance, a unit with strength of 8 and 3 experience should return more MPPs than a unit with a strength of 4 and only 1 experience point.

This game looks to be shaping up nicely. I can't wait for the demo!

About reinforcing; will the unit be reinforced more heavily when in your country or in an occupied country you control then in e.g. Russia which is still being attacked? Sort of to resemble the Germans sending their wrecked divisions to France to recover.

Cheers

Disbanding a unit does not return any bonuses from the experiences that unit gained since it only returns MPP's to purchase new units... which btw thinking about it now is maybe a good thing so as to pay a small penalty if you decide to disband and discourage wholesale disbanding which could be close to a form of cheating on some occasions during game play.

To answer the second post, maximum reinforcement value is partially dependant on current supply, so if playing as Germany in the USSR and the Soviets are using the scorced earth strategy, driving deep too quick could be costly if in need of reinforcement as you could be in low supply. In your home countries for the most part your cities will be running at 100% efficiency and thus your units will be in good supply and have a good max reinforcement value.

Originally posted by Hubert Cater:

Disbanding a unit does not return any bonuses from the experiences that unit gained since it only returns MPP's to purchase new units... which btw thinking about it now is maybe a good thing so as to pay a small penalty if you decide to disband and discourage wholesale disbanding which could be close to a form of cheating on some occasions during game play.

I completely agree with this system. I don't see that much benefit would be realistically gained from disbanding an experienced unit compared to a green one.

As originally posted by Hubert Cater:

To answer the second post, maximum reinforcement value is partially dependant on current supply, so if playing as Germany in the USSR and the Soviets are using the scorced earth strategy, driving deep too quick could be costly if in need of reinforcement as you could be in low supply. In your home countries for the most part your cities will be running at 100% efficiency and thus your units will be in good supply and have a good max reinforcement value.

Let's see if I have this straight.

As long as your HQ is at full strength, then you can receive full supply if you are within 9 hexes of an undamaged city in your home country.

You can form links by using HQ-units as intermediaries (thus maintaining FULL supply and therefore, readiness... though, this would get to be awful expensive, given how much those HQ units cost!).

But, if you are relying on damaged (understood to max out at 5?) cities in a foreign country, your readiness level could never be more than 50%?

But, is it possible to increase readiness (when drawing from a 5-sized city) by simply letting the unit sit inert, doing nothing, neither moving nor attacking?

This would simulate the build up of supplies in prepartion for an offensive?

And, does this apply to damaged (conquered) ports as well, say -- German ships re-supplying at Bergen or Brest?

Not exactly, what an HQ can give out is also dependant on it's supply value, i.e. it drops as it's own supply value drops but remains at a level that still makes it attractive to keep them around ;)

As you've pointed out chaining HQ's can help or just strategically placing them in the right supply spot/distance can be of a great benefit.

The readiness formula is based on supply, strength and leadership rating, so supply alone will not necessarily reduce a unit to 50% readiness

Letting a unit sit still will not increase it's readiness, but reinforcing to the max value, or moving in the right HQ will have it's readiness benefits when not in combat or preparing for an upcoming assault. Also letting a unit sit can be beneficial for defence purposes as the unit will automatically entrench itself each turn it is not used, up to the maximum entrenchment value for that particular hex.

Hubert,

Thanks for the tutorial.

Back in high school, Calculus of Supply was my worst subject (... but then, it was only the fist edition -- perhaps you have gotten ahold of the latest and best version smile.gif ).

Here, I think the thing to do is -- just play the game. There is likely an easy, intuitional aspect that doesn't come always come across in text.

Too funny! Sometimes things will make perfect sense to me as I write them but after rereading it I can see how it might start to feel like your back in highschool taking Calculus all over again :(

As far as game play goes I think you are right, I tried to make it as intuitive as possible so it should not really be a huge problem, but for the mathematical diehards I will be including all the formulas used just in case... ;)