Time for the ryder cup 2004

Kuniworth

Originally posted by JerseyJohn:

Kuni, Zapp

Those of us who want to play PBEM will just organize our own tournament where we aren't second class citizens. Personally I'm already starting to get insulted by the tone of this thing. A separate PBEM event would be fine.

No need for this Jersey. But what we can learn from last time is that there need to be a time-limit on when games should be finished. Otherwise people loose interest in the tournament. Last time Terif 6 co finished in like 2 days and pbem-games dragged on creating a sort of anti-climax. That's why we need to have those games finished in a maximum time of 2 weeks or something.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, How about this: TCP/IP starts at the same time as the Pbem games, which have to do a minimum of three turns a day (average) ande when the Pbem are drawing to a close, the TCP/IP players get a rematch with same bids, but reversed positions. The there will be a climactic end. Everyone happy? :)

Kuni

-- Agreed and it would be good to have it all as a single event.

There is a problem with the time solution, however. Last time Archibald and myself were playing pretty quickly, several moves a day, and our game was still lagging behind -- through no fault of ours. When I threw in the towel the game was still far from what could have been the calendar end. If we'd gone till 1947 -- that would have taken a hell of a lot longer!

Also, there might be a problem in that the U. S., so far, only has me on the PBEM side where Europe has three -- Wehrmacht, Archibald and Rannug in the order of posting. I'm sure the United States and Canada can and probably will come with two more PBEM players, so that isn't a worry. If not I think we ought to move the line east a little and put the U. S. and British ailses in the same camp with our common language barrier -- in which case, welcome aboard Archibald!

-- Yes I'm joking! But it may not be a bad idea; I'm pretty sure there are a lot more European SC players than Western Hemisphere at this point.

Arngrim

That's pretty much what we did on our own last time, Archibald and myself were moving pretty quickly but all the other games were long over and we were still in the middle of ours.

Archibald

Thank you, sir, I find those terms more than generous.

Ah, there no doubt is great rejoicing on the Axis side tonight and much joking by several German generals about JJ's Swedish Mud March! and his Iberian nose banging. In Italy Pope Pius XII has called for a special day of celebration thanking the Almighty that Italy will be spared another of his Hunker and Pray Campaigns in Sicily and the Naples boot.

Meanwhile in the UK camp the Admirals gather for a fatalistic dinner, drinking a final toast, "May he do better by us than he did the U-Boats. Bottoms up!" -- with grim visions of rolling battleships.

In the USSR several People's Army generals take a swig of vodka and weigh the pros and cons -- he took Leningrad fast but never did get to the Ukraine ... but still, perhaps serving under this guy is better than being in a gulag, but then, perhaps not.

In America General George S. Patton proclaims, "I don't give a hoot in hell what crazy son of a bitch they've got me serving under, I will still be proud to lead you wonderful guys into any battle anywhere on the face of the earth! Which is why tonight we're attacking New Jersey and if this JJ guy happens to get killed by some freak accident, well ... Dismissed!"

patton.jpg

Reviewing his troops in London, JJ accidentally fires a grenedier's rifle and hurriedly rushes from the parade grounds -- this photo snapped only seconds after the even and just before the Guards were dismissed. The grenedier is expected to make a full recovery and is already the envy of his outfit, having recived the first Million Dollar Wound, and administered by the Old Man Himself!

< Click for oversized photo of passed out Guard in parade formation. >

[ April 25, 2004, 01:59 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Jersey, that would make me the fourth Euro Pbem.. no chance for a spot then :-(

Ah well, I guess I support the European team more by not participating :cool:

I'm getting my butt kicked by Kossuth right now, but he promised to give me valuable feedbach i.e. chew me out for my poor game tongue.gif

I'll display my humiliation in an AAR later. :D

[ April 20, 2004, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: Arngrim ]

Arngrim

Swedes are always good players, don't let it bother you.

Here's hoping we get this thing paired up so we all get to play. If we have a lopsided European balance and a lot of guys want to play we can always set up some sort of mixed tournament.

In all likelihood a few U. S. & Canadian players will still pop out saying they'd like to play PBEM and then we'll be set.

Kuniworth --- I don't understand why you pushed the PBEM people off the map, they did an excellent job last year in Ryder Cup.

The problem no-shows were TCP/IP players. Sir Jersey Giant's against Archibald was one of the highest watched matches ever in SC. In addition, the AAR could have been put on the History Channel. They finished in a timely fasion, reported results, & they are dependable far as showing up.

Remember son, this is coming from a TCP/IP player, Rambo. I'm the one who smacks PBEM, but that doesn't mean they can't play. There is a huge population of PBEM, which need added to the Ryder Cup.

It appears, Jersey has started his own division. Way to divide things. When it comes to the Forum, it takes time to earn respect. Making ultimatiums against a "Made-Man" Jersey, just ain't going to hack. Demands from the "Banned" is the way to be a Cyber Manager.

Jersey is a Made Man & is untouchable, only another Made Man can call a hit or make an ultimatium.

Kuni, if you want to start a thread with matchups (TCP/IP), go ahead & do that.

Rambo backs Americans first

Rambo backs a Made Man

Rambo backs the PBEM player's in Ryder Cup

Arngrim

Ahhhh,

I was afraid of that.

-- Perhaps you live in a different part of Sweden?

I still wouldn't worry about it, Sicilians are supposed to be good with knives but the only thing I've ever done with one is cut myself. My Uncle Nuncio shook his head and said, "Ah, who knows, maybe your talent is with brass knuckles." And I've never forgotten that message. :eek:

Anyway, I'm sure sooner or later the genes will kick in and you'll emerge as a great player.

[ April 20, 2004, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Excellent sir, I await your e-mail with the first move and also your starting of the AAR Thread.*

Not that you'll need it but the Best of Luck to you.

*I'll use smaller pictures than the one above that won't expand the Thread borders -- looking for a smaller version of the Guards picture to use here as well.

Excellent sir, I await your e-mail with the first move and also your starting of the AAR Thread.*

Not that you'll need it but the Best of Luck to you.

*I'll use smaller pictures than the one above that won't expand the Thread borders -- looking for a smaller version of the Guards picture to use here as well.

Shouldn't we we wait for the competition to officially start? Alternatively, with Rambo and Zappsweden's consent, we could start ahead of the others while the rest of the teams are being assembled. This would also minimise the time lag between TCP/IP and PBEM.

Having said that, there were still TCP/IP matches not yet played after we finished our bout of last year.

flags.gif

[ April 28, 2004, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: Archibald ]

Archibald

It's your call.

As everyone seems agreed we'll be playing each other I can't see any reason why we shouldn't start, no doubt by move six we'll be left in the dust by the IP crowd! :D

I'd say whenever it's convenient for you. ;)

Jersey vs Archie --- Let this rematch begin! This is truly a Ryder Cup game because Archie is from the UK area. For those who don't know, Ryder Cup comes from the annual golf match between USA/Euros.

Guys, go ahead & start. Play at your convience. You'll have alot to live upto after last year's "AAR of the Year".

rc0000n1a.gif

General Rambo

Appreciated, I'm confident we'll have another good one.

Standing on the choppy Highland shore I can see Archibald's yacht leaving for it's journey across the North Sea to his new domain, the coastal batteries are in place and I've got to keep the trigger happy gunners from expressing themselves a tad too soon ...

sailing-yacht.jpg

[ April 25, 2004, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: JerseyJohn ]

Archibald

It's your call.

As everyone seems agreed we'll be playing each other I can't see any reason why we shouldn't start, no doubt by move six we'll be left in the dust by the IP crowd! :D

I'd say whenever it's convenient for you. ;)

I am spiritually and mentally prepared. I have made my dispositions, and my men are in good heart.

All I await is the the slightest of nods from my team captain before I can begin.