Ive won so many games Im getting bored

I must admit I'm a bit shocked by how easily Catnip won the two games. I don't consider myself exactly lightweight, my two times against Kiwi are 1-1.

The first was a way back. Mostly stumbling around, my win.

The second one not too long ago went for Kiwi. I used the basic "rush to the middle" strategy, while he pounded me down with arty. In the end I had most of the flags, but had suffered enough to give him the win.

But the thing is, he pulled a beautiful ambush on my right flank. Baiting me with a Jumbo. Nothing else around. I rushed it with an SMG platoon with loads of fausts.

Then his platoon popped up between me and the Jumbo. My whole platoon was cut down in about 10 seconds.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh yes I remember well smile.gif It took all my willpower to sneak that platoon behind the wall and leave them there in ambush just waiting for the flank attack...

Anyways in both games with Catnip there was basically no infantry conflict what so eva. The last game there was zero, all her infantry staying behind hills while maine secured both VLs. In the 1st there was 1 conflict between 2 platoons when I ambushed her advandancing platoon at the Major VL. It was all artillery guns and tanks... in overwelming numbers :(

Have you requested a game against her Jarmo?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jarmo:

Nope, she was pretty clear earlier on that she won't be taking on any more challenges.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Could that strong stance of hers be because she now needs to return to his/her real persona? "I will not play others again forever" is a pretty good way to bow out.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike the bike:

IMO it's an unbalanced force, with far too much heavy equipment and artillery

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is getting ridiculous. Beware - if you buy "too much" artillery, you might be gamey. It soon takes a professional system technician to buy forces that are kosher.

Watching all of this gamey / non-gamey stuff makes me want to do something about the situation. So I've got a suggestion.

Why don't we form a "Do the Best With What You've Got Club" (or something like that smile.gif), whose members prefer random settings in games. If this idea gets any support, I can host web pages for it.

On the pages we could list addresses of players whom you can contact to start a new random settings PBEM game. It could also be used to find "battle generators" who can make battles for you (to avoid possibility of cheating).

Anyone interested?

Nabla.. great idea. Say 10 differant lists for each side. You would simply pick 1 when u played a game. I find 1500 point battles to be most common so if some1 with some history could ome up with ideas for this it would be welcome.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>This is getting ridiculous. Beware - if you buy "too much" artillery, you might be gamey. It soon takes a professional system technician to buy forces that are kosher.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure is,and I don't see it ever ending,there's too many different ideas on what is gamey and what isn't.Whats gamey to some isn't to others,It all comes down to different playing styles and opinions on the matter.IMO mixing forces is more ahistorical/cherry picking than gamey.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KiwiJoe:

The problem with the computer picked forces is that u tend to get mostly HTs, light armour, engineer sqauds and wierd crap. if it picked mostly historical, semi useful units it would be an option. At the moment its not.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm... I don't know about that. I've played a LOT of QB's, both against the AI and humans. I usually set the force type to armor, play with 700-900 points, and then randomize everything else I can.

With that sort of setup, both sides seem to have usually gotten a good mix of various AFV's, HT's or other support vehicles, reasonable infantry and supporting troops. And there're none of these bizarre, gamey force mixes I see people writing and complaining about.

I think that a ladder set up with similar guidelines would be great, and would prevent the worst of the ahistorical, gamey battles.

Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

For those of you that question the 6x75mm infantry guns I used in the first game, let me say that I didn't know infantry guns were used by system players or "technicians". My understanding was that SMG squads and king tiger tanks were.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For 33 points -- a bit more than the cost of a single squad -- you get a unit with great anti-infantry firepower anywhere it can see and some places it can't. It can kill light allied armor from the front and most allied armor from the side. What's not to like? Well, its one weakness -- brittle against enemy HE fire. So give it a good morale leader, and support it with a supertank or two, and you are golden. All assuming, of course, that you have a map where you can see important terrain from your setup zone, and where there is enough cover in your own setup so that your positions are not obvious.

The allies get the 75mm pack howitzer, with slightly better hollow charge rounds IIRC, but basically they pay 20% more for the same gun. And their non-airborne don't get it IIRC.

The "system" is:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Lots of (underpriced) guns

<LI>Lots of infantry with small squads and as many (underpriced) SMGs as possible

<LI>(Underpriced) Tanks with great armor and antitank capability, mainly PzIV/70.

It is usually helpful to have few on-board mortars to deal with the occasional hard-to-get-at enemy gun, as well.

BTW "technician" is a term of pride for those that play the game as a game. It is only a indictment when leveled by one grog at another.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

Maybe we need a list to define what a "system" or "technician" player uses?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, in the next few days you will probably see them finalize the new Combined Arms League rules at TH. These rules are a sort of photographic negative of what you are asking for. Technicians admire technical ability, but after a while we get tired of optimizing the same old things.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ColonelSquirrel:

I hereby blame all my defeats on the flouridation of water making my troops pacifists. Only rain water and grain alcohol for me.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

shameless plug:

heh didja try my dr strangelove scenario?

assault burpelson air force base and capture mandrake/ripper

Mr.KiwiJoe, I could not bring myself to insult you, why cause you make me smile tongue.gif

Also one day you may be an opponent of mine,

as such I treat my opponents with respect,for

if I fight an unworthy opponent, that just makes me unworthy ;)

So alas Ellros arty. may win the battle,

but Here I stand, "Bloodied but unbowed"