Russian tank books suitable for mods?

I am thinking of purchasing a good reference book on Russian tanks, suitable for mod work.

Does anyone have this one:

Russian Tanks and Armored Vehicles 1917-1945 (Wolfgang Fleischer)

since I'd like some more info on it before paying that much money. Specifically, does it have nice detailed shots of all those interesting twiddly bits?

Any information or alternate suggestions would be appreciated.

Marco,

I haven't seen that one myself, but can heartily recommend THE EASTERN FRONT: Armour Camouflage and Markings 1941 to 1945, by Zaloga and Grandsen, Arms and Armour Press, 1983. It's got sections on all the combatants, has marvelous color plates and well chosen black and white photos which have discussions of the paint jobs and markings. The Soviet section has portions devoted to camouflage, markings, tactical insignia, unit insignia, numbering and patriotic slogans.

If you contact Steve Zaloga he may be able to help you out with copies of articles on Soviet WW II tank camouflage schemes he wrote for IPMS Quarterly during the early 1970s. He wrote and illustrated the series.

I believe the illustrator Jean Restayn has an Eastern Front armor book as well, but my memory's fuzzy. If you need a standard reference and are prepared to do some digging to get it, I suggest RUSSIAN TANKS 1900-1970 by John Milsom, Galahad Books, 1970. The book has lots of black and white photos of an incredible array of combat vehicles, not just tanks, but doesn't discuss much in the way of paint or markings. The book is not focused on those topics, but Restayn's work is.

Finally, I've seen some KOKU FAN type reference material at Brookhurst Hobbies. It was quite expensive, but it had some great photos of wild winter camouflage jobs on ISU-152s and 122s. I'm talking polka dots, zebra stripes and other unRussian type stuff.

I hope this helps. Keep up the great work! Maybe soon I'll have a computer that actually has the graphic horsepower so I can use your mods.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: John Kettler ]</p>

I own the Fleischer book. It has b/w pictures only, mostly from German archives. Not that useful for a modder I guess. I don't like it for a reference cause it is not structured enough. The text and the pictures are often not on the same side. It is not that useful for me. Other people might like it. I am still looking for a good, clear and not too in depth guide for Russian tanks before 1945. Any suggestions?

I'd be willing to toss a few schilling in your direction if it meant having tiger-stripe winter camo with some slogans, in the fine tradition of the sherman\M4 quality.

Where slogans common enough to neccesitate swappable files? I've seen alot of pics with crazy slogans, I dont know what they said, but it would be cool to change them( ala CMMOS) like we now change unit markings. Thanks for all the good work in advance.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

And here is Kagero Publishing

These are mostly modelling resource sites, which is JUST what you need smile.gif

<hr></blockquote>

That Kagero site seems interesting. It seemes George Parada, the webmaster of Achtung Panzer! also makes books. The Photosniper series in particular looks worthy of a further look. Here's the blurb about the series.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr> Photosniper series is prepared for modellers by modellers.

The series has excellent photographic documentation. It provides the reader with original combat photos, detailed photos of preserved examples at museum exhibits and as model kits during

construction as well as technical scale drawings. In general, the series provides the reader with total knowledge on model tank building. <hr></blockquote>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by MikeyD:

Concord Publications (out of Singapore?) had a very nice picture book on Russian heavy tanks some years back. I'm not near my references so I can't come up with the name... "Russia's KV and IS Tanks" perhaps?<hr></blockquote>

A friend of mine may have that book. Perhaps some scanning is in order.

Osprey books always have 8 or 10 pages of color plates. These are relatively affordable booklets and informative.

"Armor at War Series" by Concord Publications Company typically have several pages of color plates in each booklet. I have the Concord booklet: "Soviet Tanks in Combat, 1941-1945, The T-28, T34, T34/85 and T44 Medium Tanks. It has about 10 pages of color plates.