Why can't I equip my Ami's with this?

I suspect that is a German commando unit's Panther, disguised to look something like a Sherman 76 from a distance. And the guys on it are Germans in US uniforms. I think something under 50 Panthers had this disguise made for them, for the Bulge operation. Neat pic.

I think Guards Armoured actually used a Panther, and I have read of at least two more cases where runners (one Tiger, one Panther) were collected (the Tiger had to be left behind due to bridging issues, and I don't know what became of the Panther).

At Villers-Bocage, a German Major (IIRC) took one of the Cromwells for a spin - it was left with running engine by the crew who decided they had some prior engagement elsewhere. He put a corporal with a Swastika flag on top and drove right up to his regimental HQ. He had to stall it by driving up to a tree and revving it, since he could not find how to turn it off. I don't think he was impressed with it. (story from memory - details in question)

Well, according to Hollywood, you can go up to these "suspicious" individuals and ask them a question that only a true American can know! Ask them who won the 1938 World Series or something! If they're wrong, hose them down with Tommy Gun fire! Hope they're good with sports trivia! The King Tiger is a different matter altogether though...

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Warmaker:

Well, according to Hollywood, you can go up to these "suspicious" individuals and ask them a question that only a true American can know! Ask them who won the 1938 World Series or something! If they're wrong, hose them down with Tommy Gun fire! Hope they're good with sports trivia! The King Tiger is a different matter altogether though...<hr></blockquote>

So I could go up to Germanboy and confirm his nationality by asking him "what is Hitler's real last name and who is his mistress" (sucks -- that wont work, no one knew either).

I would just, in Hollywood fashion, yell "Heil Hitler" and watch as all the guys fell off the tank trying to get their arms into one of those elephant salutes.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by JasonC:

I suspect that is a German commando unit's Panther, disguised to look something like a Sherman 76 from a distance. And the guys on it are Germans in US uniforms. I think something under 50 Panthers had this disguise made for them, for the Bulge operation. Neat pic.<hr></blockquote>

I have seen one image of a Panther disguised with tinplate to resemble an M10 GMC, but was not aware that they tried to fake up other Allied tanks as well (ie Sherman 76). Does anyone have any detailed data on this?

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>THE UPSIDEDOWN STAR IS...

<hr></blockquote>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Upside down star?...

<hr></blockquote>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>

the front star is upside down...

<hr></blockquote>

You guys don't understand !?!

The reason for the star to be "upside down", is for when another tank driver looks into its mirrors sees it "upside up" :D

Don't say this to no one... The picture is a fake ! tongue.gif

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Tanaka ]</p>

I've seen the Panther to M-10 conversion used in the bulge, but I've never heard of a KT conversion. I rather doubt that this picture is a German attempt at US camoflage - what would it pass for? A Pershing, maybe?

My two cents say that its GIs taking a captured KT for a spin, with hasty stars thrown on just in case.

If I'm wrong, I guess I'll get hosed down by tommy gun fire along with them!

GAFF

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by gaffertape:

My two cents say that its GIs taking a captured KT for a spin, with hasty stars thrown on just in case.<hr></blockquote>

You got it. I've seen this picture before, or another one off the same roll of film, with an explanatory caption.

Michael

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Simon Fox:

I fail to understand why the "Ami's" would need King Tigers. When any Pfc with a tin and a bit of string can call down a ToT from 2 battalions of heavies faster than a KT can rotate it's turret 360 degrees, who needs 'em.<hr></blockquote>

It's simple, Simon. The tank is for the guy calling in the ToT to hide in, just in case he transposed one of the coordinates or some other SNAFU that gets the ToT dropped on him instead. Of course, the guys sitting on top won't be so thrilled. ;)

Pictures like that above remind me about Willie's comment in one "Willie & Joe" cartoon: "I'd rather dig. A moving foxhole attracts the eye."

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Simon Fox:

I fail to understand why the "Ami's" would need King Tigers. When any Pfc with a tin and a bit of string can call down a ToT from 2 battalions of heavies faster than a KT can rotate it's turret 360 degrees, who needs 'em.<hr></blockquote>

Trophies Simon. Cut their heads off and hang them on the wall as proof of your kills. A very American tradition.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Tanaka:

The reason for the star to be "upside down", is for when another tank driver looks into its mirrors sees it "upside up" :D

<hr></blockquote>

Okay since you seem to have all the answers can you explain this to me?

Why does a mirror reverse right/left but not up/down.

thx,