The A.I. just AMBUSHED my a** . . .

Last night I was lookin' for a quick scrap before pillow planting . . . I found St. Anne Chapelle. Off of the CD.

Quick little SS attack on G.I. held roadblock. Fun!

I allowed the A.I. to play the G.I.'s and set up freely.

I split my attacking force into two and hit GO!

SPOILERS!!!!

On my left, at about turn 3, I had moved up a squad of SS troopers, their HQ and two LMG's all in 251/1's. Seconds after the LMGs disembark, they are all cut to pieces. 4 dead men in 2 seconds!!

A moment later, my HQ and squad (also disembarking) come under MASSIVE fire. By the end of the 60 seconds turn, I've lost all 18 men! (Including one gunner on a halftrack).

What an ambush!

I replayed the movie in disbelief. I've never been so ably ambushed by the A.I.. It was AWESOME!!

The first 4 seconds of the ambush, there are STILL no sightings of the Americans. Just the sounds of their guns blazing. (And my guys screaming out in horror.)

The thing that I find really neat was that the A.I. held it's fire till my men disembarked. There was no shooting at the halftracks until then.

Nice little scrap.

Gpig

P.S. Oh, I did win, eventually. Because as good as the ambush was, the A.I. had put his Excellent Veteran HQ right on the front lines. I killed him off next turn with my 20mm mounted halftrack. The rest of the battle was a bit of a cake-walk since I had a platoon of Veteran SS sneaking up the other flank. Sprung a bit of a surprise of my own. smile.gif

SPOILERS!!!

+2 bonus for the A.I.

That means their HQ would have been Elite (being Veteran) And the G.I.'s would have been Crack (since they are Regs).

I guess that makes is a bit less interesting, since those fellas could pretty much handle themselves anyways. smile.gif

Gpig

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrew Hedges:

I usually give the AI only a +1 bonus, but +25 to 30% troops (Or I reduce by that much). Is there any advantage to greater bonuses in lieu of more troops?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, since the AI regularly keeps its squads out of command radius from the platoon HQ's, those units break and run much easier. Giving the AI +2 or +3 gives its men a better fighting chance at holding their ground or continuing to attack, as the circumstances may warrant.

More troops is not a bad thing, but always bump it up by at least +2.

I've always resisted the "more troops" option when playing the AI, because it often just means even more panicked units running around the board like headless chickens, or, in the case of defense scenarios, just getting ready for another one of those pointless human wave assaults. Yet, I've never had a serious look at the computer experience bonus option. I think I should....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rommel22:

I always give the AI a +3 bonus any time I play. I find very easy at regular so I max it out for a bigger challange.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

same here

+3 gives at least SOME challange versus A.I.

The AI bonus is an experience bonus, instead of more troops, the troops it has have more experience.

I think, I could be wrong, I don't have the RB handy. A +1 bonus to the AI raises all its units experience by one level. So all regular troops are now veteran.

Bonuses don't make the AI smarter, it just gives it better tools to work with. Its troops won't break and run as often, they'll be tougher in assualts and the like. The AI may still choose to place troops in crazy places though. In my last game against the AI, it bunched up all its armor on one hill top, Three panthers and two Hetzer. Like shooting fish in a barrel. tongue.gif

I've found the following formula works best against AI:

Human: Axis

Compu: Amis

Type: ME or Probe

+3 and +25% to 50%

All other combos, use +3 and sometimes 25%

Playing against the AI in anything less than +3 becomes a slaughter. Even +3 is fairly easy. +25% is a good balance, especially when you're playnig Axis. +50% is a real challenge. It's hard to overcome the amount of troops the AI sends to the meatgrinder at +50%

My .02....

COG