CMHQ Needs a Manx Makeover

I was delighted to notice a week ago that Manx would be joining the CMHQ team. However, when I saw that his intended role was to manage the many mods, I was dismayed that some of his best talents would be lost to us. Specifically, Manx has a very nice design touch that has made his Combat Missions site very attractive and comfortable to visit. The Manx site welcomes you, and gently leads you where you want to go.

At the other extreme, CMHQ aggressively assaults the human vision system immediately upon entering. The site desperately needs a style makeover, and Manx is the right man to do the job. I hope the CMHQ proprietors will realize his talent, and let him get on with it.

MadMatt has performed wondrously well for the CM community, and SuperTed seems to be diligent as well. But let's face it, MadMatt will never make a living being an interior decorator (although he is rumored to admire the lifestyle).

CMHQ has always had terrific content, especially for mod-lovers. But the site's appearance is more garish than the string of cheap bars and massage parlors that line Route 1 outside any army base.

So I'm hoping the CM community will help CMHQ realize that they should tap the tasteful design talents of Manx, now that he has joined their team. With the original Manx site going out of business, we will all be spending more time at CMHQ. For the sake of our collective eyes, please let Manx work some magic to reduce the ugly glare at CMHQ.

Any others agree?

Ever since Manx joined the CMHQ team, I've been anxiously awaiting for something, anything, to happen. New mods, makeover, new CMBB pics, anything.

Of course, I realize that Manx probably has a life outside CM. He most likely has a job, family, and other responsibilities. So, I suppose we will all have to be patient and tolerate the waiting like the mature, intelligent, and wise adults that I know we all are. :D

So, Manx, go ahead and take all the time you need. We are all patiently waiting like big smiling Buddah's.

Guys,

Thanks for the support. Actually, Matt and I realized a long time ago that CMHQ is not going to win any beauty contests (especially with Matt posting pictures of himself on the site :eek: ). Yes, Manx will be working hard on making it purdy, like it should be. ;) However, there is a lot of behind-the-scenes business that needs to be done before we can start that in ernest.

So, your wish will be granted just as soon as we can get to it.

I agree 100%. The bad camo with the bright yellow and flourecent (sp?) green is hideous at best. I love the content, but the presentation could really be improved, as well as the general layout. Maybe having a simular layout as Combat Missions, its far more pleasant to navigate and find what your looking for.

Kudos to Madmatt and Supa' Ted for maintaining it, but with Manx at the helm and CM:BB on the way, a rehaul in in order. It would be great if there was a whole section dedicated to CMMOS, with every file and option all in one place for easy mod-sluttage.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SuperTed:

especially with Matt posting pictures of himself on the site <hr></blockquote>

Oh I don't know. Some of Matt's photos have been quite stunning - but then again he's not in them! ;)

Mace

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Mace:

Oh I don't know. Some of Matt's photos have been quite stunning - but then again he's not in them! ;)

Mace<hr></blockquote>

Mace,

Actully, I was referring to the one with Matt in it. The FCC had a fit about it (something about not being suitable for children to see), but we were able to convince them that Matt really does look like that. :D

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

CMHQ needs a make-over, but Battlefront.com DEFINITELY needs breast implants, and maybe even a tummy-tuck.

Oh wait, they're working on it. Oh wait, they said that in July of 2000. Oh wait, its the game that counts. Oh wait, nevermind.<hr></blockquote>

The reason it has taken so long is that there has been an ongoing debate at BTS. Charles and Dan prefer silicone, while Steve and Matt think saline is the way to go. Maybe a poll is in order. smile.gif

[ 11-17-2001: Message edited by: SuperTed ]</p>

As ST has already said, a facelift for CMHQ is one of our top priorites. No-one realises more than Matt, Ted and myself that CMHQ would benefit from a new-look. In fact, i've already started drawing up some rough drafts for the sites layout.

The biggest headache will be that CMHQ has so many pages that will need converting to whatever design is eventually chosen. This ain't gonna be easy and it will definitely take a bit of time to fully complete. Saying that, the one thing i want to try and get away from if possible, is the situation where new content is being added with the old-style layout, only for me to have to re-do the pages all over again later.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by SlowMotion:

In this new design, could you please design the main page so that people don't have to scroll down as much as they have to now?<hr></blockquote>

Yup, we will endeavour to do this wherever possible.