HBO "Band of Brothers Series"

I believe that the Jadgpanther had a plywood superstructure, so I'm under the impression that it may not be a powered unit with a working drivetrain.

The TBS ads people have seen are not a showing of BoB itself, but a weekly showing of war movies and possibly some further info on the BoB series ("jump on the advertising bandwagon"). I wouldn't imagine that TBS would get broadcast rights to one of HBO's biggest productions for a strictly 'north of the border' showing. However I can't explain why it is happening in Perth. I assume that HBO is available from some providers other than direct-from-satellite. Maybe Channel 9 forked out a good chunk of money for the simultaneous Oz broadcast rights.

Scrap your VHS machines!

Tivo is the way to go. You can buy a 30 hour ("basic" quality, or 9 hour "best" quality) Tivo for a few hundred.

Add in an 80 Gig drive, hack the EPROM with well-known code from the Web, and you have a computer that watches TV for you, with room for 120 hours of near-DVD resolution.

A half-hour buffer when watching live television, and full fast/slow/pause/forwards/backwards/etc/etc when watching a recorded show.

Good AI for things like "You watch this show all the time. There's another one like it on at 2:30am tomorrow. I'll record that one too in case you wanted to watch it but didn't know about it."

I used mine to catch the History Channel series on the Hitler Youth (5 separate shows) as well as the "Dangerous Missions: Sherman Tank" show.

Sweet Technology. And there is a "Direct Tivo" for those DirectTV satellite watchers as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Enoch:

The guy in the making of special said the Tiger was built on a T-34 chassis. He could be wrong I'm just repeating what he said.

I doubt it is an authentic Jagdpanther but it looked like a pretty good replica. Of course I onlt got a 2 or 3 second glimpse of the thing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Tigers in Bob are built on T34 chassis' just like SPR. And the Jadgpanther is also a 'reproduction'. I forget what they built it from now; it's underscale but looks good, and it's a runner - if I can find my BoB pics I'll post a picture for your delight and delicatation.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Herr Oberst:

Scrap your VHS machines!

Tivo is the way to go.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard those machines are evil. Especially when they start recording shows for you that it "thinks" you might like, and it can get pretty scary when you finally see what it "thinks" you might like. *shiver*

That is all I need though.. Some machine enticing me to watch more T.V. by recording shows for me to watch later, like some sort of cyber-pusher.

Next thing ya know it will be telling you things like.., "I have noticed you don't watch much T.V. when that "woman" is around so I went ahead and had her terminated. Now it is just you and I and ALL THE T.V. SHOWS IN THE WORLD! Moooahahahah!"

Pure evil I tell you. Pure evil.

Jeff

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: jshandorf ]

Hmmm, Jeff! You might be on to something there old boy. Now, if we could get this XBox gizmo to terminate, at least temporarily that is, the incessant nattering of mates otherwise unappreciative of CM, and its infinate cosmic qualities, we'd really have something there. It would then truly be, the

"Ex-Box". :D

[ 08-29-2001: Message edited by: Bruno Weiss ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian:

snip...What I'd like to find out is what is the basic premise of the show. Is it SPR extended or is it going to be more realistic than just Sam Pechinpah directs Combat?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The series is based on Stephen Ambrose book of the same name, basically describing the real-life experiences of members of Easy Company, 506 Airborne Inf. Rgt. Real people, real stories. Spielberg overall producer with various directors, including Tom Hanks (did the 5th show IIRC).

I got HBO partly for the series, partly for the new digital clarity (finally, my XBR Sony set struts it's stuff!)

BTW, read the book, it shouldn't spoil anything and is a helluva read. :D

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jshandorf:

I heard those machines are evil. Especially when they start recording shows for you that it "thinks" you might like, and it can get pretty scary when you finally see what it "thinks" you might like. *shiver*<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can turn suggested recordings off. I've got my DirecTiVo locked and loaded for BoB.

Welcome to the TiVolution! Oh sorry, wrong forum.

tongue.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Enoch:

The guy in the making of special said the Tiger was built on a T-34 chassis. He could be wrong I'm just repeating what he said.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm surprised. It looked too wide and low for a T34 to me. Unless some major surgery was undertaken, I'd have thought it would have been easier to use a T55/62 hull. Indeed, if anything the Tiger in SPR looks too low IMO.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gunnergoz:

The series is based on Stephen Ambrose book of the same name, basically describing the real-life experiences of members of Easy Company, 506 Airborne Inf. Rgt. Real people, real stories. Spielberg overall producer with various directors, including Tom Hanks (did the 5th show IIRC).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope the stories/scenes are a little more believable than SPR was. It was pretty silly from a military viewpoint, most of what they did. While the first quarter of the movie was "reasonable" IMO, the rest of it was about the standard of Combat.

I'd much rather see some of the lucre Hollywood throws at mediocre movies/TV shows about WWII put into making movies such as "The Way Ahead" or "Theirs is the Glory" which not only had good stories but good acting and were realistic.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Marks:

I believe that the Jagdpanther or the Hetzer was built on top of a British APC.

Larry<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dunno about those, but a Brit APC was definintely being used to build a MkIV. Also saw a couple of Sd Kfz's (one of them mounting a Pak40) that are most likely Czech replicas.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gen. Sosaboski:

Far as I know, the vets from the 101st gave it a thums-up, so it SHOULD be good.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Major Richard Winters was consulted during filming, and has voiced his approval of the series. That's good enough for me...