Now that 1.12 is here, ne1 gonna modify the databases?

I'm using guachi's most excellent Excel Spread sheet to peruse future purchases. Unfortunately, it is based on 1.03 and the costs are all wrong and some of the unit characteristics have changed (the Firefly turret is now medium and not fast for example). So is anyone working on this?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

For once I'm going to have to go against my long standing principles and agree with a "Jeff". An update would great for this useful database.

While we're on the subject what ever happened to Jason? Hope he's 'OK'. BTS please do somefink and find guachi!

------------------

"As has been said, we only listen to bootlickers, and Simon is one of the best out there!"

Talk about coincidence!

Been away for six months and come back to see this!

And I am doing somefink. I feel almost like a CM virgin. No playing for SIX MONTHS. Ouch.

Anyway, I downloaded the 1.12 patch yesterday and noticed all the changes to the data. I started revamping the armor and changed some internal formulas. I am working on the rest of the vehicles.

Next I need to upgrade the infantry (changes were made months ago to SMG firepower)

THEN I can start work on the never finished sections of arty and field guns. The farthest I got on the field guns was writing all the data down on paper, which I did 5 months ago. But I lost it in my moves from Louisiana to Montana and then out here to San Francisco, so I have to do that all over again.

In addition, I was working on some new data to include - average ammo loadouts for vehicles. I have about 10 German vehicles done for that.

When will I get it done... Damned if I know. I still have no life, so I have the time.

Anyone is, of course, welcome to modify the db themselves. But be warned that bizarre things may occur if you do. I WROTE the thing and bizarre things happen to me.

I'm glad somebody remembers my database. If you are wondering, the database was available at ASL2CM, which is now no longer in existence. So you will have to get it from somebody else.

Don't e-mail me, I don't have the last version that was posted. And the current version is unusable.

Jason

So, anybody do an updated FAQ yet? smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Hey Gauchi smile.gif

Long time no see. Sorry to hear about the fires in your beautiful homeland (yes, its been that long). Apparently some kiwi firemen went up to lend a hand.

be cool

Jon

(Ps sorry for hijacking your thread Juardis wink.gif )

If you eat well, and **** strongly, you will not fear death.

Originally posted by JonS:

Hey Gauchi smile.gif

(Ps sorry for hijacking your thread Juardis wink.gif )

No problem smile.gif. Guachi, I use your database religously. I went even so far as to modify the infantry tables. You know where you state the unit costs if in a platoon, company, or battalion? Well I modified that to give the platoon costs, the company costs, and the battalion costs. Unfortunately, it took like one hour to modify 3 lines (I'm obviously not doing something right). But that would be one suggestion. Another suggestion is to include the number of fausts, rifle grenades, gammon bombs that are likely to appear with each squad. Jeff Heidemann had a spreadsheet that included that data and I use that one too (thanks Jeff). That info is important if you know you're going to go light on armor and/or suspect that your opponent will be using a lot of armor. His spreadsheet was named Combat Missions Data Charts1_0.xls

Thanks again and welcome back!

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Yeah, modifying the macro is the only way to get the pointer to look in a different directory for the pics. Easy IF you know where to find the macro code.

Pascal, and e-mail is on the way.

No rifle grenade, gammon bomb, etc. info? I thought I had added that, but maybe I was in the PROCESS of adding it.

So in the immortal words of (who was it??) I will "fix it" and "do somefink"!

Jason

• 1 month later...

I recently posted mentioning that I had "ported" the unit db to the ThinkDB format so that I can browse it on my Palm PDA. (Not much of a port: couple of minor PDA-specific tweaks, export to CSV, and import that to ThinkDB.)

As geeky as it sounds, it nevertheless has been an interesting and useful way to study CM for those all-too-frequent times when life keeps you away from it. ;)

However, one thing that really struck me about the unit db is just how much information is in there.

A spreadsheet is okay, but I wonder if it shouldn't be made into a true relational db? (Not that I have 1/252th the time required to design the DB or enter / migrate the data.) This could be sliced and diced in many different ways, and hopefully served up in a variety of formats (HTML, spreadsheet, etc.)

Oh, one of the things I would especially like to see is a tactics entry for each unit -- basically, what http://www.combat-missions.net/ has....

Ahhh guachi my gentleman!

Thou are not commeth at more brilliant hour than thee back to life.

I have been mailing your BRILLIANT, though dated, Excel Unit Database for the better parts of 2 days nonstop! Talk about a void when you left wink.gif

Please enlightened us. Even Madmatt suggested a helping hand in hosting it if you can't.

Welcome back Sire!

regards

Charl Theron

Just a mere welcome back guachi (jdmorse in the older days!) and for those who are new Monsieur Guachi was the data man par excellance

------------------

•Non illegitimi carborundum est

•If frogs had uzi's, snakes woudn't mess with them so much. - Hiram

Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

I'd like this spreadsheet. Winecape, can you email this to me?

Yup, no problem. Just make sure your e-mail box can receive a Zip file 3,4MB in size. If so, let me know winecape@global.co.za and I will despatched maestro guachi's number crunching Excel Unit Database in no time. (actually, in *SOME* time!)

Hopefulley all here can put some "pressure" on guachi to update the unit/equipment Database up to CM version 1.12 (as he himself indicated he is doing so at the moment) and put it on Madmatt's CMHQ site - this is the de facto database that SHOULD come burned on the all CD's of CM:BO wink.gif

Regards

Charl Theron

Stellenbosch, South Africa

Gentleman, credit also due to Wolfe for his version of a Unit/Equipment Database. This is hard, tedious, but excellent work. Mind you, I don't start a PBEM wihout their handy references before me(in print form in .... a CM archlever file! Yes, PBEM IS getting serious nowadays gentleman! wink.gif)

Maybe these two can work together to finish it off in no time?

Rgds

Charl Theron

Well, my computer died on me in mid February. So I used it as an excuse to UPGRADE!!

My aging K6-2 350 is replaced with a spiffy new Athlon 900 running at 930MHz on an overclocked 143MHz front-side bus. And I have a cool new ATI radeon video card.

I just got the stuff last week and I have been busily dl'ing all the mods I never downloaded because my computer was too slow. And I have ALL NEW PICS.

All I can say is WOW! CM looks SO COOL with a good system. Now that the system is up and running I can finish the DB. YAY!!!

Jason

Great news guachi as I use it all the time.

Oh and I forgot to say: Welcome back!

------------------

"Stand to your glasses steady,

This world is a world of lies,

Here's a toast to the dead already,

And here's to the next man to die."

-hymn of the "Double Reds"