M20 Utility Car Seems Slower Than Advertised In The Showroom

Is it just me or does the M20 Utility Car run slower than it's top speed of 55mph? I swear that when it gets up to full speed that it's nowhere near as fast as a Hellcat which I believe has the same top speed.

What do I have to do to get this thing to run at 55mph? Bore out the pistons? Take off the headers? Remove the restrictor? What?

What terrain are you running it on? Roads, concrete, open fields? I seem to remember sometime (and some versions ago) that wheeled vehicle speed over non-road/paved terrain was being lowered. I've taken my Jeep (heavily modified and much better than the WWII models) over a relatively smooth field at about 45mph and it damn near rattled my fillings out. I've also drove a tracked vehicle (M2A2 and M113) over similiar terrain and it was not nearly as bone jarring. FWIW, Hanns

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

Is it just me or does the M20 Utility Car run slower than it's top speed of 55mph? I swear that when it gets up to full speed that it's nowhere near as fast as a Hellcat which I believe has the same top speed.

What do I have to do to get this thing to run at 55mph? Bore out the pistons? Take off the headers? Remove the restrictor? What?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sigh.

Consider, and apply your question, in terms of terrain, as already suggested?

Not compare a wheeled vehicle's performance to a tracked vehicle's performance without also mentioning the terrain conditions?

Contemplate that a figure such as 55mph is the vehicle's top speed under perfect road conditions, not the real world speed of taking it's restricted suspension system into account and measuring it against what it could do cross country while neither breaking down nor turning its crew into anchovy paste?

Answering your question as a complete non-Grog, are you seriously this confused by a common sense concept, or just trying to make conversation because your bus home is late?

Check the tire pressure...Also remember that the 55mph rating was given during testing in Detroit with that nice High Octane gas.

That low-bang junk they're pumping in France will rob your of at least 15 ponies.

make sure the A/C is off too for maximum speed.

Gyrene

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seanachai:

Sigh.

Consider, and apply your question, in terms of terrain, as already suggested?

Not compare a wheeled vehicle's performance to a tracked vehicle's performance without also mentioning the terrain conditions?

Contemplate that a figure such as 55mph is the vehicle's top speed under perfect road conditions, not the real world speed of taking it's restricted suspension system into account and measuring it against what it could do cross country while neither breaking down nor turning its crew into anchovy paste?

Answering your question as a complete non-Grog, are you seriously this confused by a common sense concept, or just trying to make conversation because your bus home is late?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I'm just trying to frustrate pretentious, know-it-all's like yourself who can't answer a simple question. It appears I have succeeded.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tanaka:

Hi,

The M20 has 12.2 hp/ton, the M18 has 20 hp/ton... So, the M18 has almost 70% more acceleration then the M20, theoretically the M20 needs 70% more space to reach 55 mph. Do a map with 2 parallel paved roads that you will se more or less that.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had no idea that kind of stuff was modeled in the game. I assumed that each vehicle was modeled the same for simplicity's sake--that's cool they went the extra mile to make it that realistic.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tanaka:

So, the M18 has almost 70% more acceleration then the M20<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. I tested this in a race with an M18, an M20, and an Assault Boat all on paved roads.

The M18 took an initial lead but then the space between it and the M20 became constant. The Assault Boat, otoh, performed miserably. It wouldn't move at all until I put an HQ in it and then it still moved like a snail!

[ 09-21-2001: Message edited by: CMplayer ]

CMplayer

Member # 4371

posted 09-21-2001 03:15 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Tanaka:

So, the M18 has almost 70% more acceleration then the M20

Yep. I tested this in a race with an M18, an M20, and an Assault Boat all on paved roads.

The M18 took an initial lead but then the space between it and the M20 became constant. The Assault Boat, otoh, performed miserably. It wouldn't move at all until I put an HQ in it and then it still moved like a snail!

-------------

I did the same test and all of them didn't move very fast.

There was a 88 on the other edge of the map BTW :D

Gyrene mentioned gasoline quality before I did, but I'll add that you should check the air filters every 100 miles if the time is a summer month and the weather is clear. All the dust will hurt engine performance.

Try a Borla cat-back exhaust system for better engine breathing, and a K&N coldair filter kit.

If all else fails, slap a turbo on, but you'll void the warranty.

DjB

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Colonel_Deadmarsh:

I had no idea that kind of stuff was modeled in the game. I assumed that each vehicle was modeled the same for simplicity's sake--that's cool they went the extra mile to make it that realistic.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Select each vehicle and press "return". It will show you the vehicle characteristics, including hp, weight, ground pressure, rate of fire, rate of turret rotation, armor angles, smoke dischargers, amount of food stored on board, stereo system, etc. All that and more is modeled, and it's different for different vehicles.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brewmeister:

Just curious about that speed test. Do they reach top speed any sooner when they have an incentive such as a Tiger on their tail?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, the Tiger has to get off their tail for them to move forward, or else the acceleration results in their tails ripping off. Of course, of the vehicles mentioned in this thread, I believe only the assault boat has a tail. The others have hull-mounted active sonar.

Agua Perdido

I laugh when ever I hear a "Vet" claim they went anything faster then 40 mph in a Abrams or any other MBT for that matter. Maybe in Detroit at the track! Brand new with good gas maybe, but not the beat up, ole service tanks the army has.

HA! 7 years, notta once. Heck, going down a step, paved, un-curvy hill ya might get past 45, but I doubt it. Vibrate your brains out. All your gear starts falling off the tank, saddle bolts flying through the air!

Hey, the gauge in the tank is way off so don't listen to your driver.

BTW going 40 cross country is hauling butt! I dare say not many gunners could track you and forget about firing, the Stab. won't work.

IMO btw! smile.gif