CM2 FAQ, updated semi-anually!

Take a look at the original <big><font color=AA0000">FAQ</font></big>!

<font color="0000BB"><big>Combat Mission 2 Frequently Asked Questions (Barbarossa to Berlin is gonna ROCK!)</big></font>

(thanks to GriffinCheng+ for the nucleus of questions that started this FAQ)

What will be the title?

According to the SimHQ, the title will be "Combat Mission 2: Barbarossa to Berlin", but the forum members DID provide a few other suggestions...

Where can I find information & screenshots from CM2?

SimHQ.com has an interview with Charles up! Take a gander...

When will it be available?

"We don't like to give firm release dates for our software so early in the process, but we're aiming for late 2001." -Charles

Can I do a pre-order?

"Because we won't be taking preorders as such smile.gif The main reason is that our new online ordering system, which will be in place fairly soon, processes credit cards online in realtime. Therefore, when you place your order you are charged right there and then. Because of that we won't be able to take orders until about a week or so before we think the game will ship." -Steve

Will it be available in stores?

No, sorry.

What theater will it cover?

The Eastern Front. (The Russian Front for those of you living east of the Eastern Front...)

What improvements will there be?

"...we're increasing the resolution of our terrain and vehicle model graphics to take advantage of modern 3D cards. The battlefield scenes will look more realistic without overly taxing most CPUs." -Charles, interview with SimHQ

What will the requirements be?

"We've decided to keep our requirements fairly modest, however (8MB 3-D card minimum, with 16 or 32MB recommended) so we don't limit ourselves only to the bleeding edge." -Charles, interview with SimHQ

<font color="0000BB"><big>Reality</big></font>

What units will not be added?

TBD, but mounted are out of the question.

What new units will be added?

TBD. There was a discussion about this. We know the Elephant/Ferdinand is in. (Thanks for links Wolfe!) And of course there is the following image:

suisuseries.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Hiya Guys,

Just so you know the line up contains from near to far an ISU-152, ISU-122, ISU-122S, SU-152, SU-122, SU-100, SU-76I, SU-76M, SU-76 and an SU-76P...I *think*...just going from memory there ;) They arent exactly in scale with each other in that shot either so keep that in mind as you check them out. The big tank there on its own (not shown) is an IS-2...

...Ciks, those shadows are thanks to the render engine in the 3D program we use. To be honest I doubt wether we will see shadows that accurate (they are ray traced) in a game for some time to come. That single frame takes about a minute to render on a 900Mhz system. ;)

Dan</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is with the cylindrical external fuel tanks on the Soviet tanks?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

...from what we have found in our research apparently points to the fact that as the war went on the Russians seemed to be less and less concerned with actually removing the fuel tanks before combat (maybe they were not fearing the Germans as much?).

In the game you will see this play out as the early models of vehicles will not have the fuel tanks but some of the later models will.

Also Soviet Diesel Fuel is NOT very explosive and has a very high flashpoint, roughly equivalent to US diesel no.2.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will trenches be in CM2?

"BTS hasn't said anything yet concerning what CM2 will include." -JoePrivate

Will there be better city fighting rules?

There was a hint back then that the engine will be modified to recreate city fightings like in Stalingard. No definite word is out yet.

Will CM2 feature captured vechicles?

"Well there's at least one: The SU-76i (a Soviet F-34 gun mounted on a captured PzIII/StuGIII chassis) shown in the SimHQ pic." -Wolfe

Will there be TO&E added for "Axis Minor"?

Yes.

What nations will be included?

"The main issue is the large number of combatant nations. We're hoping to include Germans, Soviets, Poles, Finns, Hungarians, Romanians, Italians, and Partisans." -Charles, from SimHQ interview

How will CM2 model soviet troops differently?

"... it will feel quite different to command a unit of the Red Army than players are used to from the original Combat Mission. Generally speaking, morale and firepower will be high, but command efficiency will be low." -Charles, SimHQ interview

Will there be unarmed human wave attack?

TBD.

<font color="0000BB"><big>Graphics</big></font>

Will it have a new graphical engine?

No, the next generation engine (CM II) will probably not be avaliable before CM 4. But it will be bigger and badder.

<font color="0000BB"><big>Gameplay</big></font>

Who's working on the interface?

deanco! The maker of the wonderful interface mods for CM has been tapped by BTS to design the interface for CM2, so we are in good hands.

<font color="0000BB"><big>Mods & Sounds</big></font>

<font color="0000BB"><big>Scenario Editing and Work-arounds</big></font>

<font color="0000BB"><big>Misc</big></font>

Here's some good stuff that is now lost to the assaults of messageboard HACKERS:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>1. A couple of weeks ago we increased the opportunities to fire as range decreases in CM2 Alpha. This simulates "going for broke" when up close and personal. This sorta happens in CM1, but we have made it much more dramatic at the closer ranges. The result is ammo usage will be higher at shorter ranges than at longer ones by quite a bit assuming that the enemy is capable of withstanding more than the initial "shot" or two. Otherwise the ammo expenditure might very well be the same.

2. We are contemplating adjusting Firepower for longer range small arms upwards at the far ranges (250m-500m), but at the same time adjusting the chances of firing down (probably not for MG teams). This will simulate having better grouped shots, but firing less on the whole due to the lower chances of hitting anything (i.e. sensible ammo conservation). The net effect might increase suppression effects a little bit in closed terrain, but will mostly just reduce the number of ammo points used up for long range shooting over the course of a single battle.

3. For quite some time we have wondered if perhaps we were a little stingy when we figured on 40 ammo points as the standard per unit. So we are now thinking that we might up this. New ammo levels will depend on how a unit is categorized - Standard Rifle (mostly rifles), Mixed Rifle (60/40 or so mix of rifles and auto weapons), and Full Auto (SMG and MG teams for the most part). We are thinking 50, 45, 40 respectively (although MG loadouts will vary respective to what they are). The logic behind this is that we are giving longer range units some more ammo to compensate for expending a full point during long range engagements. Since SMG units aren't able to fire at these longer ranges, they will not receive extra ammo.

5. For now we plan on leaving Firepower as is since we are fairly happy with the lethality and effects that it produces in terms of morale, TacAI behavior, etc. If we feel that the extra shots increases the effectiveness of infantry units too much we will probably decrease firepower and leave the ammo points the same. Remember, firepower numbers, although based on logic and formulas, are only opinions (as educated as they might be). So it could be that we have the firepower right, but not the number of chances to use it.

There is something that needs to be noted here, and that is these changes will also effect MGs, not just infantry units. In other words, these are across the board small arms changes. We'll just have to see how it goes

Also keep in mind here that we are making OTHER changes to the game engine to alter some of the behavior that can be seen in . Specifically, we are instituting new orders for infantry (Assault and Move to Contact) and changing the way Run works. This will greatly reduce the effectiveness of SMG units, BTW. The primary reason why CM1 SMG units are too effective through a combo of overuse (Cherry Picking) and because they can close ground too rapidly, while also using cover and firing on the move. The new Run command will eliminate firing on the move (or dramatically reduce it) and reduce cover to almost nil. Since Rifle units are not as effective using the Run command, and don't benefit as much from closing distances quickly, units like SMGs will be effected far more. Add to this increased firing opportunities of the defender and I think you won't see any more SMG rushes.

In fact, just with the increased firing opportunities added this tactic, which is abused by many "Cherry Pickers", is no longer effective. We also increased the chances of MGs switching targets at closer ranges too, so charging an undefended MG with a bunch of SMG guys is not such a good idea anymore. And we haven't even tweaked RUN yet

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Thanks, as soon as that LOSER who keeps track of the old FAQ gets his back up, I will relinkify.

Where are ya, russelmz?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

byatch! don't make me go over there and break ma foot off 'n yo ass... ;)

"have you ever been bitch-slapped?" -Lisa, to Matthew on Newsradio

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=019090

FAQ back up! let the rejoicing begin

In the previously interesting Rarity thread, Steve did mention that textures were done for the IS3 tank. And that the M3 Lee and T-28 (even though they're multi-turreted) may make it in via some sort of coding 'hack' (for lack of a better term - my term, not Steve's). The multi-turreted T-35, however is too rare and won't be in.

And they're going to try to get the SturmTiger in, despite its rarity and excruciatingly low ROF.

Other vehicles mentioned as examples during the discussion: PzIIIJ and PzIV (F2). These were used as examples, which doesn't rule them in or out; I just like grasping at straws. smile.gif

Of course, that's all from memory. I could be wrong, and the entire discussion could really have been about how to properly model horses. ;):D

- Chris

woah, are you sure Steve said the textures of the IS-3 were done and not the IS-2's? All indications are that the IS-3 never saw combat in Europe before the war's end and probably didn't even see combat against the Japanese either. What's the rationale of including the IS-3 then? Just for fun like the Sturmtiger? I don't mind but I can see great abuse of this unit which can be argued doesn't belong in an east front game since it most likely never saw action.

Any word on which of our many many pie-in-the-sky wishes WON't be included in CM2? I suspect we can finally write-off the 'fighting in sewers' idea, and horse-mounted cavalry. Armored trains and Stalingrad ferryboats are probably off the list too.

I think I read that there may be changes to ICE in the game. Possibility of tanks operating on ice... with a possibility of breaking through the ice?

:eek:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Commissar:

woah, are you sure Steve said the textures of the IS-3 were done and not the IS-2's? All indications are that the IS-3 never saw combat in Europe before the war's end and probably didn't even see combat against the Japanese either. What's the rationale of including the IS-3 then? Just for fun like the Sturmtiger? I don't mind but I can see great abuse of this unit which can be argued doesn't belong in an east front game since it most likely never saw action.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Been looking for any remnant of the old thread, but it really does seem to be gone. Oh well. Anyway, yeah I wrote down the units Steve mentioned, even the ones in passing. And that includes the JS3. Hope I didn't get it wrong: the tank mentioned had something to do with multiple textures being finished (or near-finished) for it. Summer and Winter texture sets???

And if the IS3 does end up in CM2, I'd imagine it's kinda like the Super Pershing: an easy unit to do because its based on one that already exists in the game. Change the turret on the IS2, and you get the IS3. Not a huge leap. And that, I would imagine, is one of the main reasons the T-35 isn't in (aside from it being rare): it would be a whole new model. And a complicated one at that. But BTS does seem to be throwing everything they can including the kitchen sink into the game thus far (Ferdinand, SU-76i, SturmTiger, IS tanks; maybe M3 Lee and T-28). All of which is ok by me. smile.gif

- Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Leader:

Hmmm, interesting, do go on...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would, but that's all I know. And even some of that is assumed.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I think we need to get to the bottom of this.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, until BTS releases a units list I really don't know if we're going to get very far. smile.gif

- Chris