Nordic Wannabee Tournament

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the updated Contact List. Sorry about the delay. I was forced to re-install Windows last night after fixing things that weren't broken.

tongue.gif

Section One

redwolf- redwolf@cons.org

Rother- ullr@gci.net

Mare Ichthys- bass-a@home.com

SGT_Gold- rspilot@nyc.rr.com

Cooper- coopermichael1@qwest.net

fytinghellfish- keenedder@aol.com

Section Two

THumpre- aewert@home.com

Ricochet- tramos1@optonline.com

Massattack- declankerney@aol.com

White4-christian.p.lerche@saic.com; god_emperor_lerche@yahoo.com

a1steaks- gpaull@pacbell.net

Jack Trap- glowbox@pacbell.net

Section Three

Cpl Carrot- rjb109@i4free.co.nz

The Commissar- commissar84128@icqmail.com

Kanonier Reichmann- jimbo@picknowl.com.au

Warhammer-kurtlindquist@hotmail.com; kurt155kurt@netscape.net

Wreck- leonard@dc.net

Lopaka- rwinant@fenwick.com

Section Four

Mr Johnson- Klevi@qwest.net

Shadow- shadow@jagdtiger.de

Scheer- soenke.nommensen@kielnet.net

Sgt_Kelly- frederic.callewaert@skynet.be

ciks- edgars@batesadm.lv

Strider- Strider@bak.rr.com

Treeburst155 out.

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]</p>

Seems like I need Kannonier Reichman on me list:

My opponent list so far:

Cpl Carrot: Scenario 1, PBEM, Nov 15th

Warhammer: Scenario 2, PBEM, Nov 8th (official start date specified, since no other date provided)

Lopaka: Scenario 4, PBEM (as preffered), Nov 8th.

Wreck: Scenario 5, TCP/IP, Nov 8th. BTW Wreck, when you get the scenario (you'll get it first as the German player), post on this thread and let me know when you'd like to meet in the CMTH forum. Cheers!

Kannonier, speak up!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dogface21:

Hey yall, I just got my rig online again. What a pain in the ass. Sorry I didnt respond in time, what a bummer. Oh well, Ill get in on the next one. Good luck with the tourney, and if anyone needs a replacement, Im your man.<hr></blockquote>

Sorry about that Dogface... I'm feeling rather guilty now, but I'm sure the feeling will pass. smile.gif

Re Warhammer, I'm ready to play PBEM when you are but what I don't understand is how do you know which numbered scenario's we'll be playing and who is playing Axis or Allies in each one??? Do you have some sort of inside information or sumfink?

Regards

Jim R.

Here's the schedule again. It may be a bit difficult to read because it is set up in the format required by the scoring program, but you can figure it out. The Allied player is ALWAYS on the left.

#ScenarioOne

redwolf Rother

Mare_Ichthys fytinghellfish

SGT_Gold Cooper

THumpre Ricochet

Massattack Jack_Trap

White4 a1steaks

Cpl_Carrot The_Commissar

Kanonier Lopaka

Warhammer Wreck

Mr_Johnson Shadow

Scheer Strider

Sgt_Kelly ciks

#ScenarioTwo

Mare_Ichthys redwolf

Rother SGT_Gold

fytinghellfish Cooper

Massattack THumpre

Ricochet White4

Jack_Trap a1steaks

Kanonier Cpl_Carrot

The_Commissar Warhammer

Lopaka Wreck

Scheer Mr_Johnson

Shadow Sgt_Kelly

Strider ciks

#ScenarioThree

redwolf SGT_Gold

Cooper Mare_Ichthys

fytinghellfish Rother

THumpre White4

a1steaks Massattack

Jack_Trap Ricochet

Cpl_Carrot Warhammer

Wreck Kanonier

Lopaka The_Commissar

Mr_Johnson Sgt_Kelly

ciks Scheer

Strider Shadow

#ScenarioFour

Cooper redwolf

SGT_Gold fytinghellfish

Mare_Ichthys Rother

a1steaks THumpre

White4 Jack_Trap

Massattack Ricochet

Wreck Cpl_Carrot

Warhammer Lopaka

Kanonier The_Commissar

ciks Mr_Johnson

Sgt_Kelly Strider

Scheer Shadow

#ScenarioFive

redwolf fytinghellfish

Rother Cooper

Mare_Ichthys SGT_Gold

THumpre Jack_Trap

Ricochet a1steaks

Massattack White4

Cpl_Carrot Lopaka

The_Commissar Wreck

Kanonier Warhammer

Mr_Johnson Strider

Shadow ciks

Scheer Sgt_Kelly

Treeburst155 out.

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Treeburst155 ]</p>

So, when can we start requesting the scenarios?

People in my group, my gamey-o-meter matches that of Wreck, see his message in this thread. Let me know if you want something else.

I only want PBEM, with a possibility to end an already setteled game quickly in TCP/IP.

I would be grateful if we could get all game started very soon, as I spend much time in setup (with terrain study).

Well, Ill take Kannoniers responce to WARHAMMER and plug it in for my own needs...also, I seem to have messed up the scenario list for 2 of my opponents.

My opponent list so far:

Cpl Carrot: Scenario 1, PBEM, Nov 15th

Warhammer: Scenario 2, PBEM, Nov 8th (official start date specified, since no other date provided)

Lopaka: Scenario 3, PBEM (as preffered), Nov 8th.

Kannonier Recihmann: Scenario 4, PBEM, Nov 8th.

Wreck: Scenario 5, TCP/IP, Nov 8th. BTW Wreck, when you get the scenario (you'll get it first as the German player), post on this thread and let me know when you'd like to meet in the CMTH forum. Cheers!

Bugger! I'm Allies in 4 out of the 5 scenario's. I was hoping to score the Axis at least twice in a 5 game format. I feel I'm starting on the back foot already. :(

Sorry, just needed to have a moan. There, I'm feeling better already. Now where's my medication...

Regards

Jim R.

[ 11-11-2001: Message edited by: Kanonier Reichmann ]</p>

Kanonier,

These scenarios are not balanced so it really doesn't matter which side you play.

Cpl. Carrot,

I've never thought about this. I always play with detailed armor hits ON. For this tourney I think you should too since there is no way of making sure your opponent does not.

I'm ready to pass out scenarios 1-3 now; and will begin doing so immediately. Scenarios 4 and 5 are not ready yet, but we have enough to get started. Arrange your games, send me an email with your FORUM name and your opponents FORUM name to get the scenarios.

The tourney officially begins now. All AARs and final game results are due no later than Valentine's Day (February 14th).

Someone asked about AAR scoring. AARs are worth either 1/4 or 1/2 of a tourney point depending on how thorough and complete it is. Two or three good pages will get you a half point. I figure the winner will score about 12 tourney points. If you write five good AARs you will get 2.5 points tacked on to the end of your final tourney score, a nice little bonus.

We found an exploitable flaw in our scoring system which has an easy fix. Here's the new twist:

For games that do not add up to 100 points the difference will be split between the players. For example: A final score of 60-30 will be recorded as 65-35. If you can figure out why we are doing this then you have a devious and gamey mind. :D

Let the war begin!!

Treeburst155 out.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Kanonier,

These scenarios are not balanced so it really doesn't matter which side you play.

<hr></blockquote>

I understand that but if only for the much greater variety with the German forces would be a good reason in itself. One gets a little tired of the stock standard American or British infantry & their accompanying Shermans as opposed to all the different force types available to the German side. I was just kind of hoping that in a 6 player team grouping there would be a way to have a 3/2 or 2/3 split-up for all players.

It just seemed a bit odd I thought and I don't want to sound ungrateful or anything but I wondered whether there was an inadvertant mistake in your distribution system for the various scenario's. Basically, the number 3 player in each group gets the Allies 4 times whereas 4 out of the 6 get the Germans 3 times & 1 out of the 6 gets the Allies 3 times. If there is no mistake then I guess, so be it.

Regards

Jim R.

[ 11-12-2001: Message edited by: Kanonier Reichmann ]</p>

Kanonier,

The scheduling has been optimized for fairness as it relates to the scoring system. Believe it or not Nabla and a mathematician friend of his worked on the scheduling using a university computer for an entire afternoon. For details on how the scoring system evolved see the "Balanced and Unbalanced Tournament Scoring" thread. They tried to split the Axis/Allies duties evenly but it worked out to be mathematically impossible to do while still retaining the other more important scheduling criteria.

Treeburst155 out.

It appears my outgoing mail is down. I can receive and I can surf the web, but I can't send mail. I have 17 games ready to send when my mail comes up. I've received so many game requests I decided to set up an assembly line situation. I'll be passing out all 36 games (the first 3 scenarios) as soon as I can. In the meantime I'm putting the stuff together.

Treeburst155 out.

There are a couple of issues I have to emphasize here before the tournament starts.

DO NOT SHARE INFORMATION ABOUT THE SCENARIOS WITH OTHER CM PLAYERS BEFORE THE END OF THIS TOURNAMENT!!

Do not even tell your wife - she might be involved in the tournament with a strange username. :D

Because the scenarios are (possibly) unbalanced, the value of extra information is even greater in this tournament than in ordinary tournaments. A seemingly harmless message like "Holy sh.., X just knocked out my only remaining AFV with his Tiger" in the Cesspool can spoil the fun - and the results - of other players. In the WBWRW tournament this limitation has led to messages like "Holy sh.., BEEP just BEEPED my BEEP BEEP with his BEEP" - this is one way to let out the steam smile.gif

Also,

REMEMBER THAT THE SCENARIOS ARE (POSSIBLY) UNBALANCED

You might get your a.. kicked royally, but still get a good final score at the end.

Treeburst155: could you send a copy of this message to the players with email so that we can be sure that everyone knows this.

We've tried to put together an action packed thriller for you. I hope that you will enjoy this tournament. Good luck to all players!

OK, it is 0930 (GMT-6). I have 36 games ready to send out, but I am unable to do so. I have notified my ISP of the problem. Hopefully they can get me going soon.

The final two scenarios are now finished and in my hands. All I need to do is go through the somewhat tedious process of making them secure. I will do this now along with continued processing of more game requests.

Loose lips sink ships!!

Treeburst155 out.

The German player must place the .cmb file into his Saved Game or Scenario folder. He then starts the game normally, as he would start any other PBEM game, using the password I have assigned to him. Do not try to load the game as a PBEM file when starting a game. This has caused confusion in the past, and definitely won't work. If you receive a .cmb file from me just treat it like any other scenario you would download.

My email is STILL down, but I'm ready when my ISP is.

Treeburst155 ot.