Catastrophe....just scratched my CM CD!

Guest Headcount

Guest Headcount

Complete and utter desolation.

My CD player just went haywire and carved a tiny circular scratch into my CM CD. Now it wont read and I am totally gutted.

Any suggestions apart from the obvious one? Suicide. Buy another copy. Really cant afford to buy another (only had this one three months).

Had just got into the TournamentHouse ladder and was having more fun than ever.

UNSPEAKABLE WOE........wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. What now? Back to CC3?- maybe that suicide option doesnt sound so bad after all :) :-(

Headcount,

I am not sure about this but I would think that if you sent your disk to BTS they would send you a replacement. You might have to pay for the shipping.

Send them an email and find out.

Jeff

------------------

I once killed a six pack just to watch it die.

I think that, if you send your defective CD and the number of your purchase order to BTS they will send to you a new copy, (you will have only to pay for the new CD and postage)...

After reading this, I will make a backup copy of my CM CD... today wink.gif

Guest Headcount

Thanks guys,

Worth a try. Might as well send it back as it is useless to me now....(audible sigh)

You dont miss your water till your well runs dry. I am soooo thirsty right now. Need something to drown my sorrows

headcount

I feel your pain and wish you and your family my heartfelt condolences in your time of loss.

Now may I suggest options that might help you come by some spare cash?

1) Seek employment at the nearest fast food establishment. Not only do you get to work with oil's of the exotic kind you also get to stare at the teenage girls working their weekends away.

2) Panhandle. Pick yourself a nice street corner with multiple bus-stop benches for break time, and feign a life-threatening illness. It might help to dig up some crappy old clothes and work on your uninvited window washing technique.

3) Sell one ofd your valuable items to the local pawnbroker. Not only will you get top dollar for your items, it also comes with a great interest rate.

Headcount: How much for my Grandmothers antique diamond wedding ring?

PB: I'll give you $30.

HC: But that is worth more than $1500 and btw, I need $45 + S&H.

4) Convince your friends that you are letting them in at ground floor on a new 'super product' and they only have to invest a few dollars each and then make new friends and never call the old ones again. They will think you hit it big.

5) Call wealthiest living family member and explain that you have a gambling problem and are in to it deep to a vicious loanshark for $100 (enough to pay for a backup copy)

You see if you put your mind to it there is no limit to the lies you can tell. Ask my last employer.

' I don't know why I got fired. I didn't do anything smile.gif

Always glad to help,

vs

Guest Headcount

You think that would work Wilhammer? Anythings worth a try I think.

The scratch is on the under(non-printed) side. Its circular, about 5mm from the centre, and doesnt feel/look that 'deep'

Thanks for the idea.

Hey, there is a CD scratch fixer called game doctor for about $29. I got one and brought CD's BACK FROM THE DEAD. My friend who works at Bad Animals recording studio in Seattle uses the motorized version for about $20 more. I HIGHLY recommend it, that is if your scratch is on the bottom of the CD. Give me a ring if you got any questions about the product.

------------------

John "Hedu" Babarovich,

Jagdeschwader 26, Warbirds

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CavScout:

My advice is get a new CD-ROM drive. Any drive that is tracing circular lines in a CD is wasted.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He said CD player. He was obviously listening to the unmatchedly beautiful sounds of CM's data static.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by von shrad:

I feel your pain and wish you and your family my heartfelt condolences in your time of loss.

Now may I suggest options that might help you come by some spare cash?

1) Seek employment at the nearest fast food establishment. Not only do you get to work with oil's of the exotic kind you also get to stare at the teenage girls working their weekends away.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

May I recommend going commerical fishing? That way you can buy that CD burner and a new copy of CM. Only problem is, you're CM-less for most of the summer. -Shudder-

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

Guest Headcount

Thanks for all the ideas.

Just tried to polish scratches out. No luck :-(

Will investigate scratch fixing products...Am in UK so availability might differ

One tiny consolation. I think I can still join a network game....

Thanks again. If all my CD repair efforts fail then it looks like my copy will be winging its way back across the Atlantic..

Guest Der Unbekannte Jäger

Nothing can be trusted with the CMBO CD, nothing not even my beautiful 'puter. Truly a scary thought... time to make a backup. Or wait are we legally allowed to make a backup?

------------------

"The world is wide, and I will not waste my life in friction when it could be turned into momentum."

Guest Andrew Hedges

I think we're allowed to make a backup. I have a, umm, friend who has made a back up and uses the back up to play CM while storing the original safely away. I, I mean, he recommends this practice, and it works well. He tells me. smile.gif

From rec.audio FAQ at http://www.unik.no/~robert/hifi/faq/faq-11.html#24

11.24 Can you repair a damaged CD?

If the disc is lightly scratched on the bottom, then you can polish out the scratch and probably repair the disc perfectly. If there are lots of scratches or deep scratches, or there is damage on the top, you may be facing a lost cause. The music information is immediately under the label. If you scratched the reflective layer, the disc is normally unrecoverable.

Before trying any repair, try washing the disc with clear water and a bit of liquid dish detergent. Do not scrub or rub hard. Rinse the disc with clear water and shake off as much water as you can. Finally, wipe the last few drops off with a soft, clean cloth, in a radial direction.

SMALL scratches can be removed with a scrufty T-shirt and toothpaste, such as Tom's Toothpaste.

You may wish to try a thin coating of Johnson's Klear floor wax on the bottom of the CD. Often it will cover the scratches enough to allow playing. The refractive index is pretty close to polycarbonate, so filled scratches will be nearly invisible.

Noteworthy Music (800-648-7972) sells CD repair kits (#CDR 200, $11.99, one shipping unit). They seem to work as advertised, although getting the disc to the point where you can't see any sign of the scratch does take real care and persistence.

You can buy professional plastic polishing compounds at many hobby shops. The ones used for polishing acrylics, plexiglas, etc. work. Ordinary lapidary jeweler's polishes also work. You'll need a rough polish to remove the scratches, then tin oxide to polish to a mirror finish. Telescope lens kits also work. Novus plastic polish and cleaner has been recommended. T-Cut, a car paintwork polish, works well for big scratches. Reviewers at Audio Magazine recommend the "Memorex CD Repair And Maintenance Kit" as the best tool for badly damaged CDs.

And Headcount; as others pointed out, if the CD player itself caused this, replace it.