• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Was the bombing of Dresden wrong? Yep.

Was the bombing of London wrong? Yep.

Do two wrongs make a right? Nope.

Did every combattant commit acts which were immoral? Yep.

Is this thread going to get locked up? Yep.

Please grind your axes elsewhere.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Jesus CavScout, and here I thought Scipio's post was annoying enough, and you have to come along and take it to a whole 'nother level of annoyance.

Do you seriously believe that it's morally justified to bomb civilians?

Do you seriously believe that every German civilian killed in Dresden voted for the Nazis in '33?

Goddamn. Read a ****ing book or something. You really have no clue.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Originally posted by Chupacabra:

Jesus CavScout, and here I thought Scipio's post was annoying enough, and you have to come along and take it to a whole 'nother level of annoyance.

Do you seriously believe that it's morally justified to bomb civilians?

Do you seriously believe that every German civilian killed in Dresden voted for the Nazis in '33?

Goddamn. Read a ****ing book or something. You really have no clue.

And if you think civilans have no part in supporting a nation's war effort you are the fool. Unless you are going to claim that Dresden had no hand in supporting Germany's war effort, then it was a legit target.

Odd to see those arguing for morality in war...

You can't expect men to become saints on the battlefield. It's the nature of the beast. Like Sherman said, "War is cruel and you cannot refine it."

As for WWII, you could spend the rest of your days angrily (and justly) pointing fingers at the guilty. No need to remind everyone here, many of whom are better aware than most of the essential tragedy of war.

------------------

New to Combat Mission?

Visit CM Boot Camp at Combat Missions for tips.

"90% of the crucial decisions in this business are made by idiots who don't even play games." Cliff Bleszinski

Originally posted by CavScout:

LOL, Hitler was elected...

Just to nitpick -- his party NEVER had a majority in the parliament. He came in as part of a coalition and took over from there.

Not that this has ANYTHING to do with Dresden.

Since we're on the subject of bombing, you know what's always puzzled me? Why didn't the Allies bomb the railway lines to the concentration camps? But sure, we can talk about this in the general forum when Matt locks this thread.

Probably because the Allies had been bombing German cities. Just a thought.

So then it wasn't unexpected. The Germans then knew that by continuing the war that the city could be targeted.

Sounds like the blame should fall on them.

Cavscout i find nothing funny about that.

Did people really believe Hitler was going to start war, i guess no. Anyway these were people just like you or me. It doesnt justify killing them...nothing does.

About starting the war. Germany and Soviet Union started it together against Poland, but that OT.

Originally posted by illo:

Cavscout i find nothing funny about that.

Did people really believe Hitler was going to start war, i guess no. Anyway these were people just like you or me. It doesnt justify killing them...nothing does.

Were they supporting the war? In anyway? If yes, then they became targets.

While the Allies did things that they should be ashamed of, the fact remains that if Hitler and his minions didn't repeatedly invade other countries without justification and murder people by the millions, a horrible tragedy would have been avoided.

They were wrong, though it's unfortunate that the means used to put an end to their actions weren't always palatable or above moral reproach.

------------------

New to Combat Mission?

Visit CM Boot Camp at Combat Missions for tips.

"90% of the crucial decisions in this business are made by idiots who don't even play games." Cliff Bleszinski

Originally posted by illo:

German people didnt choose to start world war.

IMO, ultimately citizens are responsible for the actions of their governments. Those specific actions may not be directly their choice or their fault, but they must accept responsibility. Enough said.

------------------

Later, Dave

CavScout -

You are walking home late at night. I come up to you and shoot you. You knew it was dangerous to walk home late at night, therefore it is your own fault that I shot you.

Or similarly, there's the old rape argument. By wearing sexy clothes, women attract rapists, and are therefore to be blamed for being raped.

Do you believe in either of those arguments? If so, you're calling me naive?

------------------

Cavscout your thoughts are VERY nationalistic IMHO.

Where did you learn to think like that? Watching John Wayne movies? biggrin.gif

This is very interesting discussion...

Chubaca...whatever im really happy someone shares my point of wiev. When i read this discussion it comes to me as no suprise how much people fight eachother today.

CavScout -

You are walking home late at night. I come up to you and shoot you. You knew it was dangerous to walk home late at night, therefore it is your own fault that I shot you.

Or similarly, there's the old rape argument. By wearing sexy clothes, women attract rapists, and are therefore to be blamed for being raped.

I am sorry, Germany wasn't at fault, those evil Allies should never have started that war. It was an injustice.

rolleyes.gif

CavScout -

I always love those WWII German supporters... they never quit, I'll give them that.

A proper analogy would be trying to cross the freeway and complaining when hit by a car. War is a freeway and it has cars. Don't try and cross it if you are worried about being hit.

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

Boy we sure had a lot of rain last night.

Really, were are you at?

Here in Rochester the weather has been very odd. Friday it got up to 55 degrees and it melted all the snow, and then Saturday it went back into the teens with more snow. Supposed to warm up tomorrow again, and then get cold again.

How about that XFL? Nice cheerleaders...

Jeff Heidman

P.S. ->

Troll: 25

Fish: 0

[This message has been edited by Jeff Heidman (edited 02-13-2001).]

Originally posted by Jeff Heidman:

Really, were are you at?

Here in Rochester the weather has been very odd. Friday it got up to 55 degrees and it melted all the snow, and then Saturday it went back into the teens with more snow. Supposed to warm up tomorrow again, and then get cold again.

How about that XFL? Nice cheerleaders...

Jeff Heidman

P.S. ->

Troll: 25

Fish: 0

[This message has been edited by Jeff Heidman (edited 02-13-2001).]

It's bright and clear in Calgary, but that means its Chinook weather so naturally I am getting a migraine.

Jeff, your totals are wrong - CavScout is also a troll, so you may have to divvy up the points somehow.

As related in the General Forum (some people know what this is) CFL football is far superior to American football in much the same way Canadian beer is superior to that watered down stuff you guys sip down there.

I need someone to play my Road to Wiltz battle with me by PBEM, incidentally. I am playtesting vs. the computer and it seems to be fairly well balanced. It's based on the SL scenario and is a unique challenge - the map is only 400 meters wide, by about 4000 meters long - the hilltops are devoid of cover. Germans win by exiting the far end of the map. Quite interesting, but long.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Please confine ignorant posts like this to the General Forum.

Mike

Sorry Mike, you're right. I will keep in mind next time.

To some others: Excuse my bad English. I wouldn't justify something or someone. I'm sorry if I should have something that isn't true.

[This message has been edited by Scipio (edited 02-13-2001).]