Late to the party, but I'm here!

Hi all, I FINALLY upgraded the old 486 to a new AMD 1 Ghz and you know CM was going to be one of the first software purchases!

Quick question: My CD has version 1.12 on it and it looks GREAT! Do I need any graphical MODS??? I know these are "depends upon your preference", but I was just wondering if the community suggests "MUST HAVE" MODS? I've only been able to play a few of the smaller scenarios so far, but I must say those Panzers and Shermans look great to me!

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Sir Elgnid:

Hi all, I FINALLY upgraded the old 486 to a new AMD 1 Ghz and you know CM was going to be one of the first software purchases!

Quick question: My CD has version 1.12 on it and it looks GREAT! Do I need any graphical MODS??? I know these are "depends upon your preference", but I was just wondering if the community suggests "MUST HAVE" MODS? I've only been able to play a few of the smaller scenarios so far, but I must say those Panzers and Shermans look great to me!<hr></blockquote>

Do you NEED mods?

That depends if you want more eye-candy than what came oringally with the game.

Some of us are picky about the terrain colour and buildings and camo patterns on our AFV's and uniforms, others could not care less.

I like the mods you can find here.

http://www.afv-uk.net/cmoutpost/

Mods are really just like icing on the cake, the game works GREAT with out them.

The only MUST have mod I would say would be Juju's latest explosions.

If you really like to see things blow up get the latest best fire smoke and explosion mods

I think it is at CMHQ

try this page for new smoke and fire mods

they come from different authors

I think I am using nathan Shinn's smoke

and Juju's explosions

check them out here:

http://www.combatmission.com/mods/sfx.asp

ok?

-tom w

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]</p>

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

The only MUST have mod I would say would be Juju's latest explosions.

If you really like to see things blow up get the latest best fire smoke and explosion mods

I think it is at CMHQ

-tom w

<hr></blockquote>

Ah, the greatest praise imaginable. Thanks Tom. smile.gif

I should inform you that both fire and explosion mods have both had an update (especially the fire is a lot better, the explosions are more 'hollywoodish,' though not necessarily 'accurate.'). Both are located at Manx's site.

And yeah, Nathan Shinn's smoke is the BEST!

And Sir Elgnid, welcome. Better late then never, eh! For all your mod needs check the mod list on

Manx's site. It's a list of most mods ever made, all categorized and linked to the download sites. Needs an update though...

Welcome t the party...but it is pretty weak to show up without any beer.

I am one of the people Tom mentioned that doesn't really use mods. I have 2 on my system now. One shows the elevation of grass better but looks ugly and one has the faces of cesspool members and is also ugly.

Sir Elgnid,

Welcome, I really suggest you check out the3rd Party Mods section at Combat Mission HQ.

First off click on MaddMatt's Mod Guide to get you started, it basically has links on everything so you get to retool the look of the game with the site favourites in no time. Now you have new exlosions (use Juju's, mentioned here earlier, tho, great!), new terrain, new uniforms, new buildings and whatnot.

Then go pick the most beatiful, detailed stuff ever (you find the same mods on most other sites). Start with Marco Bergman's allied armor.

Your German armor has been upgraded to decent shape if you followe'd MaddMatt's Mod Guide.

Then go to Backgrounds and pick the photorealistic skies that were pretty recently published ever there.

Then go to New Grass Textures and download DD's terrain mods, you get it all packed in a few big zips with three clicks. Amazing vistas for you! Great grass and trees.

Use the HIGH-RES mods, your machine is quite capable of running the HIGH-RES mods without tarrying, I know since my system is much the same.

Then go to Terrain and Building textures and get Panzertruppens buildings, many people use those and for a good reason if you didn't spot them allready. Wow.

By now your about all set, have fun =)

Wow, thanks Ligur (that's LIE-GRRR, correct? from Zoids? ;) ) I appreciate the info. I want to get a few more scenarios under my belt and then it's time to look for some human opponents.

Surprisingly, I haven't had to unlearn too much from the old Steel Panthers days. That's probably because I sucked at that game! :D

Anyway, to one and all, thank you for the warm welcome and all the great information!

Hi Sir Elgnid

The only mod I recomend as a "must have" is DD's high rez grass. It is very subdued and looks quite realistic. If anyone has better grass I would like to know because I havent used anything else except DD's since I bought the game.

It is availible here:

http://www.combatmission.com/mods/grass.asp

I also changed all the German AFV's to the mono yellow camo scheme. everything else I have left alone but as others have said it depends on your personel preferance's.

A (almost) complete mod list is availible here:

http://www.combat-missions.net/workshop/modlist.htm#grassterrain

Those should keep you busy for a while :D

see ya

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: George-III ]</p>