Franko's True Combat Rules

I have received a number of requests for the FTC rules (some call them "Ironman" rules, but I still have never seen the "Ironman" edition"). I'll be happy to email a copy of the rules to anyone who requests, plus a couple of introductory scenarios. I also have submitted them to Manx's site, but I don't know when he'll get to it. Simply post here or email me.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shatter:

Ya I have been wasting the AI for some time now. I hear your rules make CM a lot more difficult against the AI.

So if you would send them my way as well.

Thanks Shatter<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You bet...and if all of you out there are not using the FTC Rules against the A.I., you're a bunch of godd*mn cheating bastards.

F.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Franko:

You bet...and if all of you out there are not using the FTC Rules against the A.I., you're a bunch of godd*mn cheating bastards.

F.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Franko

You gonna send me the FTC rules???

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: Shatter ]

I have recently discovered Franko's True Combat Rules and am now playing a operation called "Rattenkrieg Brandon". All I can say - playing CM in this 'Über-FOW'-Modus really ROCKS! I find it far more challenging then playing PBEM. Should a fairy offer me three whishes - my second (after whishing infinite possebilities of free whishes) would be, that BTS will implementing something of this kind in CMBB. It would be also nice to deepen the rules a bit. Some work has to be done for instance on setting rules, which units can use maps, different zoom level and to what degree...For my own, playing against the AI, I have set out some more registrations, which in my opinion alter the PLEASURE (some would say the masochistic touch :D )

*Maps

key 5,6,7,8 may only used when the TAB-locked unit is a HQ.

Platoon HQ may only use 5 and 6

Company HQ may only use 5,6 and 7

Battalion HQ can use all (5,6,7,8)

NO scrolling on the map is allowed, exept during setup-phase

NO selecting and giving orders of units on the map is allowed, exept during setup-phase

FO's can only use map level 8 to mark their target areas on it.

*optics

HQ's can use zoom x2

sniper can use zoom x2,x4

FO's can use zoom x2,x4,x8

Tanks(Allied) can use zoom x2,x4 (after TAB-looking of course) - no circling is allowed

Panzer(Axis) can use zoom x2,x4,x8 - no circling is allowed

Both Tanks and Panzer can use zoom x2 and circling when they are unbottened and their tank commander is not killed, injured etc.

I'm not so shure what about PAKs, FLAK etc.

Maybe PAKs can use zoom x2 with circling and zoom x4 in the direction they face...

Any other 'Über-FOW-players' out there with some more commends or suggestions?

Greetings!

Some more ideas:

- NO zooming in night-scenarios!

- There should also be strikt registrations about zoom x8 with german panzers. Only those with Zeiss-Optiks should have this possebility.

- Building trancperencie must be turned ON. Roofs must always turned ON. Only when a unit has entered a building, it is allowed to switch the walls off.

-playbacks should be watched also only with TAB-looking of a choosen unit (but can of course watched different times, with different units)

-I recommend playing with 1024x768 screen resolution for everyone, who has the entusiasm and of course hardware to deepen himself in the misty fields of 'Über-FOW'

:cool:

Grettings to all!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Smaragdadler:

*Maps

key 5,6,7,8 may only used when the TAB-locked unit is a HQ.

Platoon HQ may only use 5 and 6

Company HQ may only use 5,6 and 7

Battalion HQ can use all (5,6,7,8)

NO scrolling on the map is allowed, exept during setup-phase

NO selecting and giving orders of units on the map is allowed, exept during setup-phase

FO's can only use map level 8 to mark their target areas on it.

Any other 'Über-FOW-players' out there with some more commends or suggestions?

Greetings!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know not everyone has a color printer, but if you do, then the best option of all is absolutely no use of 5-8 after setup. Print out a map from 7 or 8 depending on size, and use that only.

I've just published FTC on the site. You can also download a text version of the rules, as well as two scenarios that Franko developed for you to try out TRUE COMBAT with.

[ 07-19-2001: Message edited by: Manx ]

Dear,

Smaragdadler

I and a PBEM opponent have been using FTCR

(I have also seen them identified as

"Iron Man"} for the last 5 games I have played. We use about 7 of Franko's rules and have had lots of FUN --- defined as joy and frustration.

I am curious about your suggestion:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> -I recommend playing with 1024x768 screen resolution <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> Smaragdadler

What do you see (pun) as your reasoning?

Also, and I don't want this to get into one of those long threads about the sights and the equipment etc, we allow the top HQ to use the level 7 and 8 map view with updates!

Reasoning is that HQ has information coming to it during the battle. So we do not use the print a map and update it by hand suggestion.

I like your idea of having different maps for different HQs and spotters -- We only let the top HQ use the map view right now. Your way makes a lot of sense.

My rule of thumb is to ask myself the following question: Should my forces really be able to know this, to see this and/or to do this in actual combat? Or, as Franko says

am I cheating !

Realistic Toad :cool:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>My rule of thumb is to ask myself the following question: Should my forces really be able to know this, to see this and/or to do this in actual combat? Or, as Franko says

am I cheating !

Realistic Toad :cool:[/QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correction..Franko says "Am I a G*ddamn cheating bastard?"

F.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

I know not everyone has a color printer, but if you do, then the best option of all is absolutely no use of 5-8 after setup. Print out a map from 7 or 8 depending on size, and use that only.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maybe you are right. But the idea behind rules for mapkeys for different HQ is to give a impression of the task of this special HQ. Till now there is not much difference between ComHQ an BatHQ in the way, they are used in gameplay. They are hidden somewhere behind the action - maybe clever players use them as spotting unit for on board mortars.

With this map-key rule they suddenly play a high important role if you play 'Über-FOW' (or Ironmanrules, FTCR, Extreme-FOW etc.)

In the operation that I'm playing now - the Battalion HQ has become the most important unit - concerning 'The Big Picture'. Remember NO scrolling on the map is allowed - and on large maps even with mapkey 8 you can't see the whole map at once.

To Louie: This sentence about screen resolution was more of a joke. I had played some 4-5 hours before I had wrote this. Since this week I've a 1Ghz Laptop - so this is the first time I can play in this resolution. Till now I had played in 640x480.

And all here - who have actually played with this extra rules -know that you are spending a lot more time concentrating on pixels at your monitor...

----------

"Möge in dieser Burg der Geist der urältesten Vergangenheit der Geist der Zukunft sein - 17./19.XI.1935 Heinrich Himmler" -- (Handschriftliche Notiz des Reichsführer-SS, Heinrich Himmler - wahrscheinlich aus dem Gästebuch der Wewelsburg)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Franko:

I'll be happy to email a copy of the rules to anyone who requests, plus a couple of introductory scenarios. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Please mail the rules, but at present

I can't take attachments (no pbem either :( )

So I'll have to pass on the scenarios.

thx!

--Rett