Spotting without LOS - how possible?

I was testing a scenario last night and playing it in hot seat. I had a British gun, sitting on a hill, in the open. No german units had LOS to it at the beginning of the game. Yet, when I plotted the german moves for the first turn, there was the gun, sitting on the hill. Not a sound contact mind you, but ID'd as a gun?. I couldn't target it because, as I said, none of the germans had LOS to it. How is this possible?

Needless to say, this could explain a lot about my dying-a-lot in games. Or it could be that I suck, but I much prefer the former. But I'd like to know why this occurred.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juardis:

Not a sound contact mind you, but ID'd as a gun?. I couldn't target it because, as I said, none of the germans had LOS to it. How is this possible?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've noticed this before--spotting units to which I had no LOS. In a recent night/snow game, I saw a gun moving forward in some woods (ie, toward my LOS from an area with no LOS). But when I went to target it, none of my nearby units had LOS--they were all too far away. Who saw it? (I KOed the gun by area-firing in front of it with a StuG, and ran some infantry forward as well.)

I've also noticed that sometimes I maintain spotting on enemy units after they pass out of LOS (infantry retreating at night in the open, armor moving behind the trees). Does this mean my SpySat hack actually worked?

Agua Perdido

I was testing a scenario last night and playing it in hot seat. I had a British gun, sitting on a hill, in the open. No german units had LOS to it at the beginning of the game. Yet, when I plotted the german moves for the first turn, there was the gun, sitting on the hill. Not a sound contact mind you, but ID'd as a gun?. I couldn't target it because, as I said, none of the germans had LOS to it. How is this possible?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I remember this issue being brought up before. Since then I've noticed this problem coming up in a couple of my PBEM games. In one game I was able to see enemy infantry walking on the reverse side of a hill and behind some woods, and just the other night I was able to see a "Panther?" driving around on the other side of a hill. These were NOT sound contacts. Both times I checked line of sight of every one of my units, and none of them was able to see anywhere near where the enemy unit was. The funny thing is, they were both against the same opponent (sorry, Chuck!).

[ 09-26-2001: Message edited by: Swede ]

Seeing things you shouldn't see does happen from time to time. I take advantage of it without guilt since my opponent is equally likely to see something he shouldn't. It seems to me when a turn ends very shortly after a unit leaves LOS you sometimes still see the unit for the next phase. I'm not sure about this however.

The spotting system doesn't work perfectly, but it's not bad enough to affect gameplay to any significant degree. BTW, I also have sent a file to Madmatt showing an obvious spotting error. This was probably a year ago. There was no reply so I assume to fix this issue would require far more time than it is worth. It really isn't that big of a problem IMO.

Treeburst155 out.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Treeburst155:

It really isn't that big of a problem IMO.

Treeburst155 out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's relative I guess. In a 300 point battle, losing 1/4 of your points because your opponent can kill a gun he's not supposed to see is a big problem. I guess the rule of thumb is this - if it's in the open, it can be spotted from just about anywhere - moving or not, within LOS or not.

Ah I see the mystery bug has cropped up again. I sent the scenario that I designed of to the Bald one. Although I never got response back. I haven't run into this lately. I never came up with what was causing this to happen. After all the testing I went through on that scenario, I just sent it to the the Bin, and clicked empty.

[ 09-27-2001: Message edited by: Shatter ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shatter:

After all the testing I went through on that scenario, I just sent it to the the Bin, and clicked empty.

[ 09-27-2001: Message edited by: Shatter ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I had a suggestion for you but since it was so long ago that you posted your problem I figured I'd let it go. But...try putting scattered trees in the offending area or build the hill slightly higher in front of it to see if that helps. Too late I guess. As for being in the open, I'm guessing that is the case. Hell, I can run through trees without being spotted, but can't sneak through the open space between tree tiles without being spotted. So I'm deducing it's the open ground.

I had a suggestion for you but since it was so long ago that you posted your problem I figured I'd let it go. But...try putting scattered trees in the offending area or build the hill slightly higher in front of it to see if that helps. Too late I guess. As for being in the open, I'm guessing that is the case. Hell, I can run through trees without being spotted, but can't sneak through the open space between tree tiles without being spotted. So I'm deducing it's the open ground.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

--------------------------------------------------

Yes the German side was in the open on the left flank but was on the other side of a massive cluster of trees that ran along the left side of the map. As for a hill yes I did have a hill built up in that cluster of trees. I'm telling you guys it was there was no possible way for the enemy to be spotted. I must of tested and changed that scenario close to a hundred times, with no luck. I guess they just adapted supermans x-ray vision.