Germans got bombers?

OK, so I have to parade my ignorance - Just to be clear, I'm not a groggy or even particularly knowledgable about WWII. (Tho I just finished 'Stalingrad' by Beevor. Glad I missed that) Anyway, I've been playing a lot of QB, practicing things I read about here. I'm playing Allied, defending against a German attack on a small map. I'm holding my own, (reverse slope defense is deadly), when I hear this sort of high pitched humming, jet engine like sound and big explosions start appearing deep behind my lines. Not too many, 3 or 4 each time, and very widely spaced. First time I've seen anything like this. Stukas?? No, I wouldn't think so. ME262 with bombs?? So.. anybody have any experience with that? And - a related question - I thought maybe I could save the game, then open the saved game in the senario editor and find the German OOB. But there seems to be some rules about what the editor will open. I also tried to open a scenario I'd downloaded and played, cause I loved the map and wanted to see if I could use it. Again, couldn't open the scenario. Anybody know what you can open or not? (In the editor)

Thanks for any help

rlh1138

rlh1138 , what you heard and saw was German artillery and, I would guess, probably rocket artillery. But anyway, something big. Be of good cheer. Although the rockets are devastatingly big, and will likely snuff out anything within 50 meters that isn't dug in, it's not very accurate and will as likely land on the enemy as on you.

Michael

Yup, that sounds like rocket artillery, probably the heavy stuff, too. The first time I experienced incoming rockets was a couple of days after I received CM. I was checking out the various elevations and was discovering how cool it was to walk around on ground level with my men. Then I heard this godawful sound and all hell broke loose. Huge explosions were erupting all around me and my men were taking heavy casualties. These rockets were, as I would later learn, unusually accurate. It seemed as if it was happening relatively slowly though, in a surrealistic way. It was at that moment that I fell in love with CM... again.

"Stukas?"

Rockets, as others have pointed out.

The GIs called them "screaming meamies". The Germans called them "Stukas on wheels".

The most common types is a 150mm multi-barrelled rocket launcher with 6 tubes, grouped 4 to a battery, and 3-6 batteries in a firing battalion. In CM, one battery of then gets 25 rounds and costs only 55 points. Heavier types are more powerful but much more expensive.

The saving grace about them is they are rather innaccurate. They will typically land in a pattern ~400 yards wide, by ~200 yards deep. And some will land outside even that wide a pattern. But if a lot of them are fired and catch you before you get close to the Germans, they can mess you up.

A common use of them in CM is for 2-3 batteries of them (the cheap 150mm I mean - the bigger ones are rather expensive, so fewer are typically affordable) to shell the whole enemy side of the board early on, as a sort of "spoiling barrage". Works better against attackers, because they aren't in foxholes so hits don't have to be so close to hurt them.

Nope, can't open a saved game in the editor (helps prevent cheating by viewing your enemy's forces).

If you can't open a downloaded scenario in the editor, then it may have been tournament saved, again, to prevent any sort of cheating, Or because the designer does not want anything changed.

Oh ya, one time I played a 2000 point game agains the computer somehow it 17 turns + of air atack on me!

I lost 2 HTs, a Puma, 75 Pak, and a 150 inf gun. Oh did I mention it also shot up almost a whole damned company?

Gen

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JasonC:

The GIs called them "screaming meamies". The Germans called them "Stukas on wheels".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Stuka zu Fuss (meaning, literally, Stuka on Foot) was, of course, the nickname for the halftracked firing platform and not the rocket itself. Another common name for the projectile was Moaning Minnie.