what's the biggest, longest scenario?

A humble question:

Does anyone play these monsters????

I once started a 5000pts battle. After I searched for an arty spotter for half an hour I decided to play smaller battles in the future...

I mean it's playable if you take crack/elite troops and buy King Tigers but commanding 2 or 3 infantry bataillons is hard work!

I have been playing large scenarios and operations for some time now (PBEM only!!). Although they do generally take longer to play, they are much more rewarding than the more common smaller battles, which seem like snacks when a full 3 course meal is whats preferable.

The larger battles I have played or am curremtly playing include the Goch-Kalkar Road operation, Tilly-la-Campagne, the Stoumont operation, Crown of Thorns, Big Valley, the Chassuers Countercharge, Mortain and August Bank Holiday. Have not had any bad experiences with them and recommend all of them.

Just be sure to pick a decent opponent and/or one who will play it out to the end. Especially with the operations, an inexperienced player can literally go too hard in the first battle and suffer huge losses, making them lose interest, feel like further play is pointless and offer a surrender, robbing you the opportunity to enjoy the full battle against a challenging opponent. This has happened to me before in an operation I was really hoping was going to be a great fight. My opponent (who was attacking) offered a surrender 2 turns into the second battle of an 11 battle/25 turns per battle operation. It was such a let down (despite the carnage I wreaked on his "all or nothing" attack).

The thing is, is that for me, you can only REALLY appreciate a scenario/operation the FIRST time you play it. After that, the realistic sense of "realism" and the "unknown" is lost for good, just like watching a movie the second time. So my advice is HUGE battles/operations are great but make sure you pick your opponent wisely.

To all the guys designing huge scenarios/operations, keep up the good work. They are well worth the effort (especially if they have been historically researched!).

Lt Bull

Speaking of women, Big Dog, different women have different tastes.

So do wargamers. There is a large crowd of less than die-hards (probably the majority who play wargames) who have a busy life style and just don't have the time for the monsters.

The smaller, quick play battles are right up their alley. A good firefight between arriving home and dinner or another between getting the kids tucked in and then crashing are ideal.

Tastes vary. It is good to have a nice mix of all types.

Wild Bill