Self-Immobilization?

OK, I have a question I hope someone will be able to answer. I was playing a QB against the computer last night, 1500 pt game. I bought pretty much an all-infantry force supported by one Tiger and one Jpz IV/70

The Jagdpanzer I set up to my extreme right at the edge of the board, behind a hill but with a line of sight down the edge of the board. The weather was clear, sunny, and dry. Now, as I was watching the replay of turn 5, I noticed that the Jagdpanzer had become immobilized! I started the replay again and watched it over and over, and came to the conclusion that upon firing the shot that killed it's third half-track, the Jagpanzer and IMMOBILIZED ITSELF! The hill to it's front left screened about 90% of the battlefield, so none of the Shermans about fired the shot, there was no hit/penetration information, no tracer fire incoming, the crew were crack and unbuttoned, and stayed unbuttoned after immobilization. There was no bogged information before this happened, and I hadn't given it a move command anyway. The area to it's front was wide open to a range of 700m, no trees or anything for infantry to hide in, and the hill was in my setup area. The only kills it got were three halftracks that wandered into it's line of sight while running away from the Tiger on the other side of the board. The only targets it had besides these, were the halftrack crew who survived.

So, has anyone seen anything like this? Was there a defect with this model of Jagdpanzer? I have heard that it steered like a pig due to it's heavy frontal armour, but nothing like this.

help?

Bart

------------------

"I have slipped the

surly bonds of earth...."

Guest Space Thing

Hey Bart,

I've had jeeps and kubelwagens all by themselves in the first two turns have that happen. Once, it was raining and the ground was wet. The other time, the weather was clear and the ground was dry. (Both in open ground.) I figured they just experienced an abstracted crash or something.

My srmor have all been immobilized by obvious things when it happened. Maybe you missed something on a playback?

It's also possible to immobilize ... or even destroy ... yourself in that situation IF you were close enough and your round impacted on the hill directly to your front! The blast from your own round could have done the deed. I've seen a Priest suicide in that manner before.

Joe

no problem on that one

CMBO models the effect of the FULL blast radius of all HE rounds.

Friendly fire is modeled quite well in this respect. The blast effect will of HE rounds can't tell the good guys from the bad guys.

So self destruction and self immobolization happen to inexperienced players sometimes.

smile.gif

Glad you like it!

-tom w

Well, I have seen SPG's knock themselves out with their own shell's, but the only rounds this Jagdpanzer fired were armour piercing at half tracks 700m+ away, so that wasn't it. I can only surmise one of two things;

A) it immobilized itself with the muzzle blast of it's own 75mm gun

B) Something else did it. If this is the case, there should be some message about a shell hit, or the crew should at least button the tank, but neither of these things happened.

All very confusing and frustrating considering this was one-half of my anti-armour assets. The Tiger had so many targets to shoot at, I ended up driving it into town to be covered by my infantry so I could limit it's line of sight.

Ah well, I'll have to chalk it up to 'one of those things'

Bart

------------------

"I have slipped the

Originally posted by Barticus:

Ah well, I'll have to chalk it up to 'one of those things'

Bart

FYI: I remember a posting about a Tiger throwing it's tack on a dirt road. Something about the tank made a noise (wasn't under fire or firing as I recall) and poof it was just was immobilized. Don't recall to much more about it. Did your Jagdpanzer move/rotate at all to get the shots on the halftracks?

I have had armor break down. In one game a KT just stopped dead in its tracks before contact was made with the enemy. I heard a sound like gears being stripped and then the engine died. Your may not have given a move order to your JPIV, but it may have rotated on its own to acquire a new target.

Originally posted by Pvt. Ryan:

I have had armor break down. In one game a KT just stopped dead in its tracks before contact was made with the enemy. I heard a sound like gears being stripped and then the engine died. Your may not have given a move order to your JPIV, but it may have rotated on its own to acquire a new target.

I can't wait to hear that sound!

I ahve been playing this game since the beta demo days and I NEVER heard that gear crunching sound.

anyone have any idea what is .wav file number is?

I wnat to open it up and hear it just be because I'm curious to know what it sounds like?

Thanks

-tom w

Originally posted by Cos:

Did your Jagdpanzer move/rotate at all to get the shots on the halftracks?

I thought of this too, but the Jagdpanzer became immobilized the instant it took the shot at the half-track and not before. It did not need to turn it's chassis at all, and only the gun moved to acquire the target. If CM models breakdowns, I can only assume the engine or transmission failed or something. Of course, after I got over the frustration and started thinking about it, it only made me say 'Cooooool'

hehe

Bart

------------------

"I have slipped the

I ahve been playing this game since the beta demo days and I NEVER heard that gear crunching sound.

anyone have any idea what is .wav file number is?

I think it's the sound that made when a tank detonates a mine. After the explosion you hear this screech of metal on metal.

LimShady

Guest Wildman

Hey Barticus,

Did the JzPz just fire an HE round at the Half-track crew right before immobilzation. Because if it did and it hit the ground in front of itself that may have done it.

---