Minimum Tank List for CM2

Based on readings on earlier post it is apparent that BTS will have to make some compromises on the vehicles they intend to model in CM2. I know for a fact that they will not be modeling tanks with multiple turrents, so no T-35s or T-28s folks. This post is a list of the MINIMUM list of vehicles that I think should be modeled:

RUSSIAN

-------

T-26

BT-7

T34 A/C

T34-85

KV1

KV2 (if they can fit it in)

BA-64

SU-76 (most produced vehicle after T-34)

SU-122

SU-152

JSU-122

JSU-152

JS-2

Guns

-----

45mm AT gun

57mm AT gun

76mm gun

122mm gun (used in direct fire role for AT)

152mm gun (ditto)

GERMAN

------

Pzkfw 38(t)

Pzkfw IIF

Pzkfw IVE

Pzkfw IIIF

Pzkfw IIIG or Pzkfw IIIH

Pzkfw IIIJ or Pzkfw IIIL

Stug IIIb

Elefant

Jpz I 47mm (if they can fit it in)

They definetly will ned more models of the PzIV. The short barreled PzIVs were numerous and critical to the early war years.

What about Lend-Lease Soviet equipment?

I assume this list is only including new vehicles not already modelled.

For the Sovs I would like to see the SU-85, and SU-100 TDs, and more of the early years tanks. Your list is pretty sparse, even for a minimum list.

Jeff Heidman

Originally posted by Keith:

I know for a fact that they will not be modeling tanks with multiple turrents, so no T-35s or T-28s folks

I remember KwazyDog saying that modeling multi-turreted tanks would be difficult, but he didn't rule out the possibility. Has BTS made a definitive statement on this?

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

Wasn't T-28 quite numerous. Finland captured even enough to equip its own forces with some t-28s. Btw. Finnish nickname for t-28 was "milktrain" biggrin.gif It was sure funny looking vehicle.

IT IS MUST TO BE INCLUDED!!!

(damn my spelling) biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by illo (edited 02-16-2001).]

Gregory Deych, you are absolutely correct. The T60s and T70s should be included.

Jeff Heidman, I did not include PzkfwIVD or PzkfwIVF1 because I the differences between these models and the PzkfwIVE are minimal. The only real game differencs would be variations in armor thickness.

If they could fit in the SU-85 or SU-100 that would be great. But what I put up was a minimal list. And knowing their schedule is to release by next Sept. I would say they are going to be hard pressed to model everyones favorite vehicle. And yes, I did read from BTS that they would not be doing vehicles with multiple turrents. It would require too much new coding for the Tac AI. Basically they are going to try to reuse the existing game engine as much as possible. I also read there will be no calvary horses for much the same reason.

I wouldn't rule out the T-28 yet. The thread below specifically suggests that the 'land battleship' T-35 may not make it. They were very rare anyway...the T-28 is probably easier to model and was more common.

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/015429-2.html

IIRC many Soviet tanks also had machine guns pointing out the back end of the turret.

As far as modeling time, ins't KwazyDog already building Soviet behemoths? Go Dan go!

Also, I think that once you've got the Pzkw IVF1, it's not too much extra to make a C, D, or E (if I'm remembering my Squad Leader correctly). Completely new vehicles are harder. They clearly have to make PzIII, so we should see all the variations of that, I would guess.

Gregory Deych, you are absolutely correct. The T60s and T70s should be included.

Jeff Heidman, I did not include PzkfwIVD or PzkfwIVF1 because I the differences between these models and the PzkfwIVE are minimal. The only real game differencs would be variations in armor thickness.

I guess i do not consider differences in armor thickness to be minimal points.

And of the only difference is armor thickness, modelling them will be trivially easy.

A minimal list needs to include those vehicles that are necessary to accomplish historical missions within the proper time frames. The Soviet TDs definitely are necessary.

If the only Pz IV the German get is the E model, what are they supposed to use until the E model was released?

Or should they get the E model when historically they only had the A model?

Jeff Heidman

Where is 37mm Pak??? (Most numerous german AT-gun in 41.)

Also PzKpfw IIIn with short 75mm is missing.(Was often used to support Tigers)

PzKpfw IVf (short gun with added armor compared to IVe)

PzKpfw IVf2 with 75L42 gun. (very important model as was first Pz-IV with gun that could deal with t-34 frontally from range. Also first Pz-IV to mount true AT gun)

SdKfz 251/10 and 250/10 (37mm) very numerous support weapon at east front.

Stug-IIIf 75L42 (same reason as Pz-IVf2)

Also there was Stug IIIf(/8?) with 75L48 gun and 90mm frontal armor..but i really don't know how widely it was used.

And i agree some Shermans are needed for Russkies.

Also SU-85 is missing from list!!! biggrin.gif

(btw was many SU-100s produced?)

Keith i guess there arent many guns that havent been used to direct fire role. But if there is onboard 152mm so there must be onboard 150mm too. But i think CM draws line to 105mm. Maybe 122mm Howitzer will be onboard... dunno.

I know i forgot to add many important vehicles too...Brummbär, PzJäger 38,FlakPz 38 various sIGs ... etc. biggrin.gif

Originally posted by illo:

(btw was many SU-100s produced?)

View?u=1304366&a=9680208&p=41121615

The SU-100 was an up-gunned SU-85. It used the 100mm naval gun and was the best anti-tank gun the Soviets produced. However, they preferred the 122mm due to its greater HE capability. Around 1,675 SU-100's were produced from late 1944 to mid 1945.

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

Guest Mikey D

If CM is looking to reuse standing polygons, let's not forget the lend-lease SU-57, mating the existing M3 halftrack with the existing 57mm antitank gun. A large number were shipped to Russia and used right up to the gates of Berlin. I'd be curious to see just how effective they'd be in combat.

Originally posted by Mikey D:

If CM is looking to reuse standing polygons, let's not forget the lend-lease SU-57, mating the existing M3 halftrack with the existing 57mm antitank gun. A large number were shipped to Russia and used right up to the gates of Berlin. I'd be curious to see just how effective they'd be in combat.

Well, if you're following the "infantry can't close assault halftracks thread", if the Germans fired their 'fausts already I'd probably say they'd be invunerable (in the current incarnation of CM anyway smile.gif )...

LimShady

Guest Mikey D

The Russians truely despised the lend-lease M3 Grant. Their name for it translated out to sommething like "coffin for eight men". They we're much more fond of the lend-lease Churchill MkIII.

Ah! That reminds me! the Lend-lease Valentine saw VERY widespread use! I wouldn't mind seeing a late 75mm gun Valentine in the mix (seems our MINIMUM armor list is growing instead of shrinking!).

Guest Mikey D

Oops, the line above should've read:

"They WEREN'T much more font of the Lend-lease Churchill MkIII."

That tiny mistake rather changed the meaning of the sentence!

Guest Space Thing

Whatever is done, I hope that enough time is taken for it ALL to be included. I echo Scipio's sentiments.

smile.gif Let it be said here first. "BTS, you have no deadline. Please do it all and do it right, however long it takes." smile.gif I humbly thank you ahead of time. smile.gif

The criteria, I guess, may be any tank that was present in the theater in numbers of more than 200. Based on that:

T-40, 60 and 70 definitely a must. BT-5. SUs of all mentioned varieties. Pz-I and Pz-35(t). Earlier models of Pz-IV. Lend-Lease Valentines, Shermans, Churchills and HTs. IS-1 (aka IS-85). Note: it's not JS or JSU, it's IS and ISU. The latter abbreviation, iirc, has nothing to do with Joseph at all.

Apart from that, I submit that use of captured equipment should be allowed, if not for QBs, than for custom-built scenarios.

GERMAN

------

Pzkfw 38(t)

Pzkfw IIF

Pzkfw IVE

Pzkfw IIIF

Pzkfw IIIG or Pzkfw IIIH

Pzkfw IIIJ or Pzkfw IIIL

Stug IIIb

Elefant

Jpz I 47mm (if they can fit it in)

Don't forget the early Panther or Panzer V,VI and the VI 2.