Focke-Wulf 190 in production again!

Just saw an excellent segment on BBC World showing how a wealthy German has started manufacturing FW-190 A-series fighters again for sale to wealthy enthusiasts. Engineers with the required skills were unavailable everywhere except Eastern Europe, but now a factory has been set up and an initial batch of 12 are in production.

They will be flight-ready in a few months. The aircraft shown looked just beautiful and it will be great to see these classic fighters take to the air again.

I think the price tag was in the region of a half a million pounds.

Any millionaires out there playing CM.. I know the old Hanomag factory in hannover is pretty much dead.. if you could toss it up a bit you could start producing tanks again as it did during the war.. what for tanks.. I have no idea.. but knowing hannover it was most likely Panzer II model F or something...LOL.. would still be cool.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>but knowing hannover it was most likely Panzer II model F or something...LOL.. would still be cool<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Grego,

PANTHER they built in Hannover at the MNH (now CONTINENTAL IIRC) and JAGDPANTHER were built at Braunschweig at the MIAG (now BUEHLER)

cheers

Helge

------------------

Sbelling chequed wyth MICROSOFT SPELLCHECKER - vorgs grate!

- The DesertFox -

Email: TheDesertFox@gmx.net

WWW: http://www.geocities.com/desertfox1891

I've heard this story several times now - can you give more info or maybe an URL ?

It's hard to envision them building the FW 190. With the original or near-original specifications it would never be registered and allowed. The engine roar alone would wind it up in red tape that it could never untangle from. Let alone today's safety requirements...

chances are this will be a sheep in a Focke-Wolf's skin, buzzing around just like some dorky Cessna, a castrated mutilation of the historic original.

It's like me wrapping my Nissan in cardboard, let a broomstick show out the sunroof and declare it a StuG.

thanks for the info, though.

my bad, this must've crossed somehow...

ok, I checked the company's website:

www.flugwerk.de

04.jpg

and from reading there I guess I have to reassess my original skeptic statement, this thing really seems very close to the original!

------------------

"Im off to NZ police collage" (GAZ_NZ)

[This message has been edited by M Hofbauer (edited 01-08-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>chances are this will be a sheep in a Focke-Wolf's skin, buzzing around just like some dorky Cessna, a castrated mutilation of the historic original.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In scenic, idyllic Germany perhaps, they would sell the Green version (without Swastika on the tail of course) but I am sure they would be perfectly willing to allow this company to sell the real deal to the decadent Americans who still let P-51s, F-8 Bearcats and other classic warbirds fly around at air shows and even race. ****, even the Luftwaffe goes to the states so they can really fly and train instead of worrying about Oma and her cats.

[This message has been edited by RMC (edited 01-08-2001).]

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mensch:

Any millionaires out there playing CM.. I know the old Hanomag factory in hannover is pretty much dead.. if you could toss it up a bit you could start producing tanks again as it did during the war.. what for tanks.. I have no idea.. but knowing hannover it was most likely Panzer II model F or something...LOL.. would still be cool.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tigers were produced at Henschel in Kassel, Fieseler Storch in a suburb of Kassel. The Henschel factory was torn down in the 1960s and they built my university on top of it biggrin.gif

Wegmann is still in Kassel, upholding a long tradition of AFV production in the city. The Fuchs ABC Spuerpanzer AC serving with the US in the Gulf War came from there, I saw them driving to the train station in desert camo in 1990 or whenever it was. Some rumours said they actually had German crews in the desert because time was to short to train US soldiers on them. Never had any confirmation though.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mensch:

Any millionaires out there playing CM.. I know the old Hanomag factory in hannover is pretty much dead.. if you could toss it up a bit you could start producing tanks again as it did during the war.. what for tanks.. I have no idea.. but knowing hannover it was most likely Panzer II model F or something...LOL.. would still be cool.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, that's an idea. Steve and Charles must be millionaires by now. I propose they buy the plant, build every tank that was in the ETO, Russia, and Africa. Then conduct penetration and gun accuracy tests. smile.gif

------------------

Jeff Abbott

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ianc:

Looks VERY cool, but a Russian engine? Nyet!

ianc<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I understand it, the original FW 190s were fitted out with engines based on American Pratt and Whitneys.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

[This message has been edited by Wayne (edited 01-09-2001).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TheDesertFox:

PANTHER they built in Hannover at the MNH (now CONTINENTAL IIRC)

cheers

Helge

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

wow cool... I want one!!! gimmie gimmie.. grr.... hey rich guy.. quick.. come to hannover! and I swear to get my tank drivers licence!!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LuckyStrike:

Just saw an excellent segment on BBC World showing how a wealthy German has started manufacturing FW-190 A-series fighters again for sale to wealthy enthusiasts. Engineers with the required skills were unavailable everywhere except Eastern Europe, but now a factory has been set up and an initial batch of 12 are in production.

They will be flight-ready in a few months. The aircraft shown looked just beautiful and it will be great to see these classic fighters take to the air again.

I think the price tag was in the region of a half a million pounds. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats sweet. I play warbirds and the FW 190A-1 is the best! Just think they could make ME-262s, now that would be even better!

The Texas Me262's are still in production up here in the Seattle area. I went and toured the facility, located at Paine field several months ago and it was NEAT. If the FW190 deal is as cool, hopefully this will be the start of a great trend...

Let's add a gain of salt here, from my memories in Warbirds game:

Fw190A8 was used as a bomber interceptor armed with 4 30mm cannons on her wings and 2 mg sync with the engine

D9 (Dora) aka "Bultcher Bird" was one of the most feared Nazi fighter who ate Mustang for breakfast. Descent climb rate with excellent dive rate. Also known as "escape artist". If you want to perfect your "boom-and-zoom" skill, it is the plane to take. She was one of the "uber plane" in Warbirds before people discover Ki-84....

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"