Rare Vehicle Poll

Quite often on this forum a thread appears concerning the inclusion of rare vehicles in CM, CM2, etc. Usually a swirling debate ensues over the reasons to include these vehicles and the limited resources available to BTS and how these resources should be applied to the core game only. BTS has shown a willingness to include some rare vehicles in CMBO, but only as a lower priority. I hope to see additional rare vehicles included in each of the future CM modules. To this end I suggest that you post a few of your favorite rare vehicles and not so rare vehicles that missed CMBO. I will total the numbers so that BTS has an idea of which vehicles are most popular.

My picks:

German SturmTiger

Russian T28

US M16

------------------

It is easy to be brave from a safe distance. -Aesop

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Commonwealth 15-cwt truck

Horse drawn cart

Motorcycles/bicycles

Bah! He said rare, not common vehicles that aren't included. AFAIK, the motorcycle is/was the main recon vehicle used by Germans, it just wasn't included in CM1 for reasons (not known to me) stated by BTS in a previous thread.

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Gremlin:

Apparently Befehlswagen variants, with their antenna arrays, were choice targets, so that would be tactically important.

Only if they actually served a function in the game. If the game is changed to include a vehicle command structure they would be vital. Otherwise they would be fluff.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Originally posted by Germanboy:

Only if they actually served a function in the game. If the game is changed to include a vehicle command structure they would be vital. Otherwise they would be fluff.

As an aside, that would be an interesting addition to the game.

Add platoon leaders to vehicles. If your vehicle is out of contact with his platoon leader, something bad happens. Of course, with radios this is not a big issue, but with those Soviet and early French vehicles without radios, or when your platoon leaders vehicle gets whacked...

Of course, I have no idea how that would work since currently most scenarios do not have full platoons of vehicles anyway...

Jeff Heidman

Guest Germanboy

I thought this thread was about CM2? Churchill Mk III, Valentine, Matilda II, Grant (all lend-lease). German range of SPWs (six-wheelers). Various mounted 2cm Flak on all sort of vehicles. If there was a new command model for AFVs, of course Befehlswagen/tanks and OP tanks. Ferdinand, Elefant TDs.

88 to fire while semi-limbered (I know, not exactly a vehicle).

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

My picks:

German SturmTiger

Russian T28

US M16

Originally posted by Snake Eyes

I was under the impression that the US M16 AA Halftrack was not rare. Less common than the other types of halftracks but certainly not even in the same league as the T-28 or the Sturmtiger. Regardless of that, I'd like the see the M16 HT in CM or CM2 too.

In a slight non-sequitor: Wasn't the Sturmtiger more of a mobile artillery peice than a tank?

And don't forget about the M15, and I seen to remember a Dodge 3/4 ton truck mounting an AT gun, can't seem to find any references right now, but I built a model of one as a kid, Airfix kit, I seem to recall. Staghound would be nice, and any of the missing Candadian stuff (hey, I just like to play my own country, what's wrong with that???)

How about Observation Post tanks - the Allies used Rams and Shermans, and the Germans used Pz III (I think) to put artillery observers in.

Command Post tanks with fake guns would also be neat.

The Germans also used Puma lookalikes with antennae for radio posts. 6-wheeled, and 8-wheeled cars.

Guest Andrew Hedges

I suppose there were all kinds of "funkwagens", too - but wouldn't it be great to put your FOO inside an armoured vehicle?

I'm not sure. My FO's usually survive to the end of the game. My armor rarely does.

British: Centurian, Churchill 6'lber (still around in 44, if a bit undergunned...). The Funnies. Bishop

USA: M-16

German: PzIII N (75mm inf spt)

Russian: JSIII, the early KV with the 152mm howitzer, hell, anything with that 152mm gun.

French: Char 1

Italian - CV tankette

In CM3 will we have a "rule of 0.303" to give balance to the Italians? I can see it now, epic QB clashes of Italian tankettes, Pz I, British Matilda I (MG only) and Vickers MkVI. Stalking AT teams with their trusty AT rifles...

Yes, some of the above (Centurian and JSIII) missed WW2 completely, but would certainly remove German Panzer envy.