• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Athalon T-Bird 1 GHz

256 PC133 RAM

TNT2, 32MB card

30 Gig HD

The game runs superbly well, and I havent seen a single slow down despite running many large scenarios.

Unfortunately, I must report that AI calculations dont change pace in the least. That is, when you finish planning a turn and you wait for the AI to finish planing. Quite annoying with big maps. Is there any way to speed this up?

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Athalon T-Bird 1 GHz

256 PC133 RAM

TNT2, 32MB card

30 Gig HD

The game runs superbly well, and I havent seen a single slow down despite running many large scenarios.

Unfortunately, I must report that AI calculations dont change pace in the least. That is, when you finish planning a turn and you wait for the AI to finish planing. Quite annoying with big maps. Is there any way to speed this up?

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

mmm very interesting guys

i own a

PII 450

128meg ram

vortex 1 (aureal 3D sound card)

10 gig hard drive

diamond supra 56i V90 modem

matrox G400 MAX

although this is a very capable system i am looking at upgrading to a

(this is probebly the machine i will buy)

AMD Athlon 1.2ghz

256 meg DDR ram

soundblaster live 5.1

60 gig hard drive

(same as above)modem

geforce 2 ultra(+TV out )

i realize this is a high spec machine but my

favourite game are flight sims (AND CM )

i hope too have this system or something comparable

quite frankly i cannot wait

let me know what you think

"the bullet is mightier than the sword"

mmm very interesting guys

i own a

PII 450

128meg ram

vortex 1 (aureal 3D sound card)

10 gig hard drive

diamond supra 56i V90 modem

matrox G400 MAX

although this is a very capable system i am looking at upgrading to a

(this is probebly the machine i will buy)

AMD Athlon 1.2ghz

256 meg DDR ram

soundblaster live 5.1

60 gig hard drive

(same as above)modem

geforce 2 ultra(+TV out )

i realize this is a high spec machine but my

favourite game are flight sims (AND CM )

i hope too have this system or something comparable

quite frankly i cannot wait

let me know what you think

"the bullet is mightier than the sword"

Jake, that's very similar to my rig, and you are gonna love it.

The DDR RAM is an excellent way to go. I got the Micron Millenia Max XP with the 1.2 gig TBird, plus the 19" Trinitron and the 64Mb Geforce (also with DDR and TV out). CM is a whole new world! I may need to look into a good WWII flight sim.

I have been incredibly impressed with Micron, and I am a crabby bastard...

Jake, that's very similar to my rig, and you are gonna love it.

The DDR RAM is an excellent way to go. I got the Micron Millenia Max XP with the 1.2 gig TBird, plus the 19" Trinitron and the 64Mb Geforce (also with DDR and TV out). CM is a whole new world! I may need to look into a good WWII flight sim.

I have been incredibly impressed with Micron, and I am a crabby bastard...

900 T-Bird

MSI K7T Pro board

32mb prophet2 MX W/TV out

30gb HD

19" LG 995E Monitor

128mg RAM

This system is smoooooth and the graphics are phenominal! The only minor slowdown has been on a 5000pt armour battle on a large map, and even that was not too bad at all.

Like many others, I did a lot of research on the components via various reveiw sites before making what was in the end, a fairly well informed decision and I'm glad to say that I'm very happy with the results.

Go the T-Bird for sure and make sure you go for a decent graphics card, I'd have gone for the 64mg GTS 2 card but at the time (Nov 2000) it was a little too pricey. Now it may be alot more affordable.

900 T-Bird

MSI K7T Pro board

32mb prophet2 MX W/TV out

30gb HD

19" LG 995E Monitor

128mg RAM

This system is smoooooth and the graphics are phenominal! The only minor slowdown has been on a 5000pt armour battle on a large map, and even that was not too bad at all.

Like many others, I did a lot of research on the components via various reveiw sites before making what was in the end, a fairly well informed decision and I'm glad to say that I'm very happy with the results.

Go the T-Bird for sure and make sure you go for a decent graphics card, I'd have gone for the 64mg GTS 2 card but at the time (Nov 2000) it was a little too pricey. Now it may be alot more affordable.

Guest Space Thing

I have a 700 Mhz Duron on an A7V mobo with a 250 watt power supply. If I upgrade to a faster T-bird processor, will I also need to upgrade the power supply??

Thanks.

Guest Space Thing

I have a 700 Mhz Duron on an A7V mobo with a 250 watt power supply. If I upgrade to a faster T-bird processor, will I also need to upgrade the power supply??

Thanks.

Originally posted by Space Thing:

Thanks.

I'm not an engineer Space Thing, but I'd go with a bigger power supply because you never know what you'll hang off the darn thing, and may draw more power. I build all my own systems except Macs and the investment in at least a 300W power supply has paid off in the long run. If you buy a hot (literally) new processor then use the extra horsepower to run a few cooling fans. I currently use 3 fans in the casing of mine, and it's only a 400mhz P-II.

Originally posted by Space Thing:

Thanks.

I'm not an engineer Space Thing, but I'd go with a bigger power supply because you never know what you'll hang off the darn thing, and may draw more power. I build all my own systems except Macs and the investment in at least a 300W power supply has paid off in the long run. If you buy a hot (literally) new processor then use the extra horsepower to run a few cooling fans. I currently use 3 fans in the casing of mine, and it's only a 400mhz P-II.

Been looking into juice compared to price and found that this system should be pretty good.

Asus A7V mobo (supports UDMA100 drives)

256 PC-133 RAM (RAM is too cheap these days)

T-Bird 850 - 1000 mhz. (can be overclocked later)

GeForce MX board (good and cheap)

The T-bird is overclockable but I don't see any point in overclocking a new cpu at anything under 200mhz (you need a powerful/expensive fan maybe even a Peltier) and the new DDR RAM is just too expensive to be worth buying(juice compared to price wise that is). Pluss the motherboards that supports DDR ram is much more expensive.

[This message has been edited by howardb (edited 03-18-2001).]

Been looking into juice compared to price and found that this system should be pretty good.

Asus A7V mobo (supports UDMA100 drives)

256 PC-133 RAM (RAM is too cheap these days)

T-Bird 850 - 1000 mhz. (can be overclocked later)

GeForce MX board (good and cheap)

The T-bird is overclockable but I don't see any point in overclocking a new cpu at anything under 200mhz (you need a powerful/expensive fan maybe even a Peltier) and the new DDR RAM is just too expensive to be worth buying(juice compared to price wise that is). Pluss the motherboards that supports DDR ram is much more expensive.

[This message has been edited by howardb (edited 03-18-2001).]

Originally posted by The Commissar:

Athalon T-Bird 1 GHz

256 PC133 RAM

TNT2, 32MB card

30 Gig HD

I cant believe that moving from a pentII system to a 1Ghz wouldnt speed up this part of the game. Is that what you are saying?

Originally posted by The Commissar:

Athalon T-Bird 1 GHz

256 PC133 RAM

TNT2, 32MB card

30 Gig HD

I cant believe that moving from a pentII system to a 1Ghz wouldnt speed up this part of the game. Is that what you are saying?