Any feedback on AMD T-birds and CM?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking to go that route also. I've been doing some research on motherboards lately. If possible get a motherboard that supports DDR memory. It is twice as fast as PC100/133 stuff as it writes on both the up and down cycles of the MHz clock. In fact, 1+ GHz systems are bottlenecked if they don't have DDR memory.

Check out the Gigabyte GA-7DXC Socket A motherboards here.

I'm looking to go that route also. I've been doing some research on motherboards lately. If possible get a motherboard that supports DDR memory. It is twice as fast as PC100/133 stuff as it writes on both the up and down cycles of the MHz clock. In fact, 1+ GHz systems are bottlenecked if they don't have DDR memory.

Check out the Gigabyte GA-7DXC Socket A motherboards here.

T-bird 1.2GHz

MSI K7T Pro 2-A mobo

128 meg Mushkin PC133 rev2 ram

Creative SB Live! Platinum (w/Klipsch 4.1 ProMedia v.2)

Hercules Prophet 2 MX

Win98SE,DX8

blah...blah...blah...

CM runs fast and looks awesome (19in. monitor).

I've got all this hardware because I'm a real Grand Prix Legends fanatic. However, my times have suffered because of all the time I spend on CM.

Hope this helps.

------------------

Your Most Humble, Obedient Servant,

Jimmy

T-bird 1.2GHz

MSI K7T Pro 2-A mobo

128 meg Mushkin PC133 rev2 ram

Creative SB Live! Platinum (w/Klipsch 4.1 ProMedia v.2)

Hercules Prophet 2 MX

Win98SE,DX8

blah...blah...blah...

CM runs fast and looks awesome (19in. monitor).

I've got all this hardware because I'm a real Grand Prix Legends fanatic. However, my times have suffered because of all the time I spend on CM.

Hope this helps.

------------------

Your Most Humble, Obedient Servant,

Jimmy

Ive got an AMD 900 with an MSI Pro2A and it is the best computer I've ever owned (except maybe for my Atari 800XL but that's a different story...) I did extensive research on sites such as anandtech and I am confident that this combination is perfect.

AMD Athlon has beat the Pentium 3 in all tests and the pentium 4 in all important tests. It is stable and fast. I also have a 32mb Riva tnt2, 128 megs of ram and a soundcard on board the motherboard. If I had to do it over again, I would buy EXACTLY the same thing. WIth a DVD and a CD-RW it was still under 1,000 bucks.

My two coppers...

Ive got an AMD 900 with an MSI Pro2A and it is the best computer I've ever owned (except maybe for my Atari 800XL but that's a different story...) I did extensive research on sites such as anandtech and I am confident that this combination is perfect.

AMD Athlon has beat the Pentium 3 in all tests and the pentium 4 in all important tests. It is stable and fast. I also have a 32mb Riva tnt2, 128 megs of ram and a soundcard on board the motherboard. If I had to do it over again, I would buy EXACTLY the same thing. WIth a DVD and a CD-RW it was still under 1,000 bucks.

My two coppers...

Guest Napoleon1944

Tbird 850 here overclocked to 926 with 128ram and an ATI 128 32 meg card. It runs great now that the drivers are updated. The video card makes most of the difference. Don't hesitate to buy a Tbird. You will be doing all the number crunching in TCP/IP on your new rig. Mine does and with my LAN setup, the old 200MMX plays well with the Athalon crunching the numbers! I love CMBO!

------------------

The only enemy I fear is nature.

-Napoleon

Guest Napoleon1944

Tbird 850 here overclocked to 926 with 128ram and an ATI 128 32 meg card. It runs great now that the drivers are updated. The video card makes most of the difference. Don't hesitate to buy a Tbird. You will be doing all the number crunching in TCP/IP on your new rig. Mine does and with my LAN setup, the old 200MMX plays well with the Athalon crunching the numbers! I love CMBO!

------------------

The only enemy I fear is nature.

-Napoleon

Check out Comp-u-plus.

You can get a 1 GHz TBIRD and a FIC AZ11E MB that will allow you to use alot of old chips, hardware and have alot of the expansion possibilitys for later. It has AGP4X, ATA100, etc and you can use PC100 or PC133.

I think the combo is about 273 $US. To step up to DDR is alot more bucks and you need to buy the memory etc.

Ill be able to report a upgrade to 1 GHz from PII400 at the end of next week.

Check out Comp-u-plus.

You can get a 1 GHz TBIRD and a FIC AZ11E MB that will allow you to use alot of old chips, hardware and have alot of the expansion possibilitys for later. It has AGP4X, ATA100, etc and you can use PC100 or PC133.

I think the combo is about 273 $US. To step up to DDR is alot more bucks and you need to buy the memory etc.

Ill be able to report a upgrade to 1 GHz from PII400 at the end of next week.

T-bird 1 Ghz

Abit KT7A mobo with 512mb pc133 RAM

Geforce 2 32mb video

SB Live sound

48x cd-rom

17" monitor

Win98, DX 8.0

CM runs great on it. Haven't had any real slowdowns (although Huge battle/maps take about a minute, minute and a half to crunch the numbers).

T-bird 1 Ghz

Abit KT7A mobo with 512mb pc133 RAM

Geforce 2 32mb video

SB Live sound

48x cd-rom

17" monitor

Win98, DX 8.0

CM runs great on it. Haven't had any real slowdowns (although Huge battle/maps take about a minute, minute and a half to crunch the numbers).

I would suggest An ASUS or ABIt MB. This allows one the maximum potential re; upgrading/overclocking. A quality MB allows one to overclock With much greater confidence

that the MB won't generate anomalous errors or burn out. The ABIT MB aloows one to make adjustments via software, whereas the ASUS requires playing with dip switches; the ASUS

however allows one to modify the bus speed - a major plus. Get a socketed board, it's faster. Try to go with DDR Ram - it,s also much faster too, wellworth the $s.Definately go with the highest end graphics card you can get - even if you or yours have to starve for a week. finally get a lot of cooling fan units: for the not only the CPU, but also the sound card chip and the graphics card chip.

they will keep everything cool & therefore healthy.

I would suggest An ASUS or ABIt MB. This allows one the maximum potential re; upgrading/overclocking. A quality MB allows one to overclock With much greater confidence

that the MB won't generate anomalous errors or burn out. The ABIT MB aloows one to make adjustments via software, whereas the ASUS requires playing with dip switches; the ASUS

however allows one to modify the bus speed - a major plus. Get a socketed board, it's faster. Try to go with DDR Ram - it,s also much faster too, wellworth the $s.Definately go with the highest end graphics card you can get - even if you or yours have to starve for a week. finally get a lot of cooling fan units: for the not only the CPU, but also the sound card chip and the graphics card chip.

they will keep everything cool & therefore healthy.

I forgot to add: If you are going to by a system as oppose to assemble one stay away from COMPAC and HP. The techies I know who work on the hardware end of the business tell me they are their biggest group of clients - constantly in need of repair. DELL

is one they recommend, peaple I know who have them like them. I'm going the self assembly route, which i did with my current, now obsolete machine.

I forgot to add: If you are going to by a system as oppose to assemble one stay away from COMPAC and HP. The techies I know who work on the hardware end of the business tell me they are their biggest group of clients - constantly in need of repair. DELL

is one they recommend, peaple I know who have them like them. I'm going the self assembly route, which i did with my current, now obsolete machine.

Originally posted by gunnergoz:

I'm considering a move to a 1 ghz+ T-bird but the critical issue is how CM works with it, of course!

Anyone with first hand experience? If so, please describe your system a bit also.

Many thanks

I have a 1.2 GHZ AMD the program runs fine.

The problems with software written with Intel in mind don't exist anymore. AMD works just as well as Intel for software. AMD is significantly cheaper. So go for it.

Thx

Originally posted by gunnergoz:

I'm considering a move to a 1 ghz+ T-bird but the critical issue is how CM works with it, of course!

Anyone with first hand experience? If so, please describe your system a bit also.

Many thanks

I have a 1.2 GHZ AMD the program runs fine.

The problems with software written with Intel in mind don't exist anymore. AMD works just as well as Intel for software. AMD is significantly cheaper. So go for it.

Thx

The only problem with ABIT boards is that I can't find one that supports DDR memory. The only boards that I've seen so far that support DDR memory are the Gigabyte and Iwill boards.

If you can point me in a direction of a ABIT board that supports DDR memory, I'd appreciate it. For the KT7A boards don't support it.

The only problem with ABIT boards is that I can't find one that supports DDR memory. The only boards that I've seen so far that support DDR memory are the Gigabyte and Iwill boards.

If you can point me in a direction of a ABIT board that supports DDR memory, I'd appreciate it. For the KT7A boards don't support it.