Normandy campaign example of 25 pdrs. in DF

Those pushing elsewhere for a properly modeled

25 pdr., plus Morris Quad and ancillary items, take heart! I present you with an example of 25 pdrs. firing over open sights. It's taken from the battle of Villers Bocage and is reported in OVERLORD: D-Day & The Battle for Normandy, by Max Hastings as part of the war memories of Trooper Dennis Huett of the 5th RTR. On page 208 of OVERLORD it says:

"Scout cars radioed that enemy tanks were approaching 'and stuff started flying about.' They once traversed their turret violently to meet an incoming tank, only to discover just in time that it was one of their own. A nearby battery of 25-pounders was firing over open sights."

Armed with this information, the historians and grogs here ought to be able to figure out which RA unit was so hard pressed that it switched to direct fire.

Regards,

John Kettler

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Germanboy:

I still think that was in 7th AD after Villers-Bocage, and it is probably the only example in the campaign :D<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You realise that the abbreviation "AD" in British nomenclature denotes "Air-Defence", don't you?

I know the 25-pounder had provisions for use as an AT weapon. IIRC, a unit of British 25 pounders won a unit citation of some kind or other earlier in the war (France 1940?) for providing indirect artillery support in-between German attempts to over-run their position with armour. I have the book at home and will try to find the exact reference.

B

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian:

You realise that the abbreviation "AD" in British nomenclature denotes "Air-Defence", don't you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You realize that Air Defence is a modern term, don't you? (We use it here in Canada as well).

In WW II, air defence was still "Ack Ack" was it not?

Being a Long time Air Defender in the Canadian Forces, the following abbreviations stand as:

AA = Anti Aircraft(Ack Ack)

AD = Air Defence

ADA = Air Defence Artillery (US)

AAD = Airfield Air Defence

And yes AD did exist during the WWII, but because during the end of the war, the Allies had Air Superiorty alot of the Air Defence Units were turned into Anti-Tank units. At least that is what happened in the Canadian Army.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian:

You realise that the abbreviation "AD" in British nomenclature denotes "Air-Defence", don't you?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You realise that unlike someone who is clearly out to troll, I don't waste time writing this stuff out, don't you?

Stop being a tosser, if you don't have anything to contribute, just bugger off (is that English-English enough for you to understand?).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BirdGunner:

Being a Long time Air Defender in the Canadian Forces, the following abbreviations stand as:

AA = Anti Aircraft(Ack Ack)

AD = Air Defence

ADA = Air Defence Artillery (US)

AAD = Airfield Air Defence

And yes AD did exist during the WWII, but because during the end of the war, the Allies had Air Superiorty alot of the Air Defence Units were turned into Anti-Tank units. At least that is what happened in the Canadian Army.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see the term in BATTERY FLASHES by Falconer; is there a source I am not checking with regards to the WW II usage of "AD"?

Ack was the phonetic for A in WW I, and carried on until the middle of WW II, when the phonetic alphabet changed to the American Able, Baker, Charlie, etc.

"Ack Ack" formation is still used by infantry on the march, incidentally - three sections spread out alternately on the road so an aircraft cannot wipe out an entire platoon. When I did my basic years ago, it was still referred to as Ack Ack Formation, also.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Triumvir:

Interesting that you should have a specific name for that; is there any other form of movement for infantry on the march? Does the infantry actually march in file on exercises?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ON roads and in rear areas they march in file, naturally. There is also Arrowhead formation, etc.

We also learn all kinds of neat stuff like the "leopard crawl" during fieldcraft training.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

I don't see the term in BATTERY FLASHES by Falconer; is there a source I am not checking with regards to the WW II usage of "AD"?

Ack was the phonetic for A in WW I, and carried on until the middle of WW II, when the phonetic alphabet changed to the American Able, Baker, Charlie, etc.

"Ack Ack" formation is still used by infantry on the march, incidentally - three sections spread out alternately on the road so an aircraft cannot wipe out an entire platoon. When I did my basic years ago, it was still referred to as Ack Ack Formation, also.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And in WWI a similar formation was called "artillery formation" used when moving up to the FEBA (to use a modern term) but within the range of artillery (generally medium or field - if you get hit by the bigger stuff......)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by edward_n_kelly:

... FEBA (to use a modern term)... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Are we sure we wont to use FEBA, my lexicon of Commonwealth terminology does not contain this term, making it verboten to use in polite company on the Internet.

[ 10-17-2001: Message edited by: Slapdragon ]