CM 2 FAQ

(preliminary FAQ, no bumping required)

Take a look at the original <big><font color=AA0000">FAQ</font></big>!

<font color="0000BB"><big>Combat Mission 2 Frequently Asked Questions (Barbarossa to Berlin is gonna ROCK!)</big></font>

(thanks to GriffinCheng+ for the nucleus of questions that started this FAQ)

What will be the title?

According to the SimHQ, the title will be "Combat Mission 2: Barbarossa to Berlin", but the forum members DID provide a few other suggestions...

Where can I find information & screenshots from CM2?

SimHQ.com has an interview with Charles up! Take a gander...

When will it be available?

"We don't like to give firm release dates for our software so early in the process, but we're aiming for late 2001." -Charles

Can I do a pre-order?

"Because we won't be taking preorders as such smile.gif The main reason is that our new online ordering system, which will be in place fairly soon, processes credit cards online in realtime. Therefore, when you place your order you are charged right there and then. Because of that we won't be able to take orders until about a week or so before we think the game will ship." -Steve

Will it be available in stores?

No, sorry.

What theater will it cover?

The Eastern Front. (The Russian Front for those of you living east of the Eastern Front...)

What improvements will there be?

"...we're increasing the resolution of our terrain and vehicle model graphics to take advantage of modern 3D cards. The battlefield scenes will look more realistic without overly taxing most CPUs." -Charles, interview with SimHQ

What will the requirements be?

"We've decided to keep our requirements fairly modest, however (8MB 3-D card minimum, with 16 or 32MB recommended) so we don't limit ourselves only to the bleeding edge." -Charles, interview with SimHQ

<font color="0000BB"><big>Reality</big></font>

What units will not be added?

TBD, but mounted are out of the question.

What new units will be added?

TBD. There was a discussion about this. We know the Elephant/Ferdinand is in. (Thanks for links Wolfe!) And of course there is the following image:

suisuseries.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Hiya Guys,

Just so you know the line up contains from near to far an ISU-152, ISU-122, ISU-122S, SU-152, SU-122, SU-100, SU-76I, SU-76M, SU-76 and an SU-76P...I *think*...just going from memory there ;) They arent exactly in scale with each other in that shot either so keep that in mind as you check them out. The big tank there on its own (not shown) is an IS-2...

...Ciks, those shadows are thanks to the render engine in the 3D program we use. To be honest I doubt wether we will see shadows that accurate (they are ray traced) in a game for some time to come. That single frame takes about a minute to render on a 900Mhz system. ;)

Dan</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What is with the cylindrical external fuel tanks on the Soviet tanks?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

...from what we have found in our research apparently points to the fact that as the war went on the Russians seemed to be less and less concerned with actually removing the fuel tanks before combat (maybe they were not fearing the Germans as much?).

In the game you will see this play out as the early models of vehicles will not have the fuel tanks but some of the later models will.

Also Soviet Diesel Fuel is NOT very explosive and has a very high flashpoint, roughly equivalent to US diesel no.2.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Will trenches be in CM2?

"BTS hasn't said anything yet concerning what CM2 will include." -JoePrivate

Will there be better city fighting rules?

There was a hint back then that the engine will be modified to recreate city fightings like in Stalingard. No definite word is out yet.

Will CM2 feature captured vechicles?

"Well there's at least one: The SU-76i (a Soviet F-34 gun mounted on a captured PzIII/StuGIII chassis) shown in the SimHQ pic." -Wolfe

Will there be TO&E added for "Axis Minor"?

Yes.

What nations will be included?

"The main issue is the large number of combatant nations. We're hoping to include Germans, Soviets, Poles, Finns, Hungarians, Romanians, Italians, and Partisans." -Charles, from SimHQ interview

How will CM2 model soviet troops differently?

"... it will feel quite different to command a unit of the Red Army than players are used to from the original Combat Mission. Generally speaking, morale and firepower will be high, but command efficiency will be low." -Charles, SimHQ interview

Will there be unarmed human wave attack?

TBD.

<font color="0000BB"><big>Graphics</big></font>

Will it have a new graphical engine?

No, the next generation engine (CM II) will probably not be avaliable before CM 4. But it will be bigger and badder.

<font color="0000BB"><big>Gameplay</big></font>

Who's working on the interface?

deanco! The maker of the wonderful interface mods for CM has been tapped by BTS to design the interface for CM2, so we are in good hands.

<font color="0000BB"><big>Mods & Sounds</big></font>

<font color="0000BB"><big>Scenario Editing and Work-arounds</big></font>

<font color="0000BB"><big>Misc</big></font>

[ 04-25-2001: Message edited by: russellmz ]

There was mention above about "Human Wave" attacks, as possibly something new to CM2. C'mon, admit it. At least once we've all tried selecting our troops in one big swoop and directing them to all 'run' at once into the teeth of the enemy machine guns! Maybe they mean the AI will get to try that technique agains us now. :mad:

Wait a minute! I want proof that there will be no cossack and partisan cavalry in CM2!!!! I will not be satisfied until one of the boys (Steve, Charles, Madmatt, Kwazy, and...Deanco?) comes over to my house and screams in my face: "NO HORSES!"

Seriously, have they given a DEFINITIVE answer?

((...weeps...)) :(

im a big fan of sheep (for my own personal and highly secretive reasons) are sheep going to be included in CM2?

btw - aren't you meant to just amass your troops.. click run and left click somewhere near the objective?....... did i do wrong?

THank you, Griffinching, for finding the definitive answer for me. I admit, I am too lazy with the search engine!

I am very sad about horses, and I think that people's quickness to relegate them to simply "riding to battle and dismounting" are really brushing something aside that was, if not common, at least DID take place on numerous occaisions.

I can also understand Big TIme's reluctance to put the time into coding these. I have no doubt that it would take alot of coding and graphics-work to get them right. It is too bad, really.

If I were to do it, I would not change the tac-ai too much. Horses trained for combat, from the days of yore, were instilled with following the commands of their riders. Fighting horses since the Napoleonic era were trained to withstand without panic the rigors and terror of gunfire as well as artillery. If anything, I would give a slightly greater chance to retreat when artillery starts to fall.

As for the units, my first choice would be to model cavalry as single horsemen, much like a sharpshooter, or at most in teams of 2-3. And as for killing them, the horse could simply be constructed as a crewed weapon, with a dismounted rider being much like a crew.

That doesn't seem too awfully hard. However,I want to add that I am not trying to tell Big Time what to do, nor am I accusing them of laziness (LOL)!

I just love reading those stories of the cossacks attacking, of the mounted partisans, of the Italian cavalry (although I would have sheathed that sabre and pulled out a SMG!) and dammit, I LOVED Charge of the Light Brigade!

All right, I am gonna go be sad for awhile. As you were.

Here's one that's bound to be asked:

"Will CM2 give crews the ability to dismount and then (ahem) re-mount their vehicles/guns/bunkers (though not their horses of course, 'cause nobody talks to a horse of course) (sheep neither, one hopes)?"

I ask it now!

Martyr