BLOOD HAMSTER feud has been declared!

Gyrene has agreed to a Blood Hamster feud. The victorious player will write the defeated player’s sig. file that will be attached to the defeated player’s posts for one week.

Gyrene has made oh so terrible an error in judgement (I hope) and I have already begun thinking of interesting items to add to his Sig. file.

Edit: In the fine tradition of "Blood Hamster's everywhere our match has now become a contest for one month of owning the defeated players .sig file.

The Battle;

The battle takes place on a 1200X1200 custom map with forces purchased (5,000) by Moriarty for both players. The battle is being fought PBEM and was started just a couple of hours ago. The information we both had to start the battle was myself (Abbott) has the Axis forces, which will include either Tiger I’s, Panther’s or heavy Jpanzers, no mention of which or how many of. The OOB’s will be selected upon historical lines and be purchased to be as fair as possible to each player.

It is now turn two. We plan to share a running AAR with the forum and divulge, as much information during the flow of battle as is possible to do without harming our chances of success. (Hopefully Gyrene will divulge more information than that). The map without forces in place is available by e-mail to anyone interested in seeing it from

abbott@tournamenthouse.com

Briefing to both player's:

It is September 1944, a scant three months after the breakout from Normandy. Units of the now tested U.S. 1st. Division and the German veteran 352nd. Infantry division are about to meet head-on in the countryside of France.

[ 05-05-2001: Message edited by: Abbott ]

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: Abbott ]

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: Abbott ]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Abbott's knuckle dragging offenders of liberty and the olfactory senses will soon be retreating and panicked like the mob they are.

Either that or I'll be sporting a brand new sig.

P.S. I have given Abbott the chance to surrender already, but he has foolishly declined.

Gyrene

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

Abbott's knuckle dragging offenders of liberty and the olfactory senses will soon be retreating and panicked like the mob they are.

Either that or I'll be sporting a brand new sig.

P.S. I have given Abbott the chance to surrender already, but he has foolishly declined.

Gyrene<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gyrene, shall we register this as a CAL '76 game before our forces clash?

[ 05-06-2001: Message edited by: Abbott ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gyrene:

What am I supposed to do with 24 Trucks and a conscript French Flamethrower team?

J/K :D

Gyrene<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, sure, just conveniently forget to point out that those trucks were loaded with fine French wine and cognac ... Napoleon, of course ... and willing, nubile young French women. If you don't know what to do with them, that's not my problem.

[ 05-06-2001: Message edited by: Moriarty ]

Axis brief , well almost..

To: Maj. Abbott

Re: bridges

Date: 17 September 1944

Our intelligence has confirmed enemy activity in the vicinity of Chateau Neuf du Pape Unfortunately the intelligence reveals little of the size or composition of the enemy forces. Two bridges in the vicinity of the village are of vital importance. We must take and hold them. Demolition teams will be moving up in two days time to mine the bridges.

Proceed with your Kampfgruppe to the village. Your primary objective is to seize the bridges. Your secondary objective is to seize and hold the crossroads west of Chateau Neuf du Pape. As usual you will receive no (blanked out).

Your Kampfgruppe will be supported by (blanked out) from the 21st. Panzer division.

If the situation changes elsewhere we will try and reinforce your Kampfgruppe but do not expect reinforcements to arrive.

Sounds like a great fight. And a humorous setting (Chateau...).

For the grogs, though, a few little nits. One, September is hardly "3 months after the breakout", since the breakout didn't start until the last days of July. More like a month and a half after the breakout, and ~a month after the Falaise battles. When, incidentally, the Germans were pretty darn weak and running like the dickens. Two, the units on the German side seem unlikely choices. Here are some particulars on the 352nd Infantry (which was first mauled all the way back in June) -

"The division was in very poor shape on 30 July, when all its battalions were classified as "abgekämpft", which meant that the unit was no longer combat worthy and that the battalion had less than 100 combat ready men left. It had four heavy AT guns and two StuG combat ready and four artillery batteries. [it also had remnants of bits and pieces of 5 other divisions attached].

At the beginning of August the division was withdrawn for refitting in the area south-east of Alençon. The division only spent about a week here before US forces closed in. Elements of the division subsequently became engaged in rear guard actions along the axis Le Mans - Dreux. The remnants of the division were merged with 581. Volks-Gren.Div. on 21 September 1944 to form the 352. Volks-Gren.Div."

All told, the whole division probably had 1200-1600 men left in the infantry, the remnant of no less than 16 original battalions (including 1 engineer and 1 fusilier/foot recon, 6 of its own infantry and 1-3 from other divisions) - along with 2 battalions of artillery and a whopping 6 heavy anti-tank weapons (4 PAK, 2 StuG). The division's own leftover were probably about the strength of 1 battalion, and all the attachments added about the same again to made it a weak regimental kampgruppe.

As for the 21st Panzer, it never had any tanks heavier than Panzer IVs in the Normandy campaign or its aftermath. It lost half its original manpower in Normandy, while replacements kept the manpower strength around 2/3rds at the begining of September, rebuilding to 3/4 by the end of the month. That includes all the rear area troops, so the proportional decline in manpower in the maneuver units must have been much larger. From early August on, the division had only 20 Pz IVs in running order, and no other working tanks.

Should any of this historical trivia stop you for one minute? LOL. No, of course not. It is just offered as drink for grogs, who might be curious about the real strength of the name units on the date in question.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Abbott:

Gyrene has agreed to a Blood Hamster feud. The victorious player will write the defeated player’s sig. file that will be attached to the defeated player’s posts for one week.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The official Blood Hamster rules call for one month

Turn three arrived with US artillery falling near the minor objective flag near the Crossroads. The Axis forces of course are nowhere near the Crossroads as of yet but do hope for some nice craters to call home soon near them.

Good morning Joe smile.gif

[ 05-06-2001: Message edited by: Abbott ]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JasonC:

et al<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I'm no grog (although I do consider myself a true blue gamer, Fred) but I do appreciate the information and the corrections. I'll keep them in mind. I picked the unit IDs only because I knew there were there and it would lend a touch of authenticity ... call it literary license, if you will. It is obvious that this was not to be a truly historical scenario. Some historicity regarding what types of units fought with or against what other types of units was desired ... i.e. somewhere between an ahistorical slugfest and a truly historical scenario. Some of it is admittedly a stretch, but not entirely outside the realm of possibiity.

Once again, thanks for the "real" info and feel free to jump in again. There'll probably be more opportunities as this thing unfolds.

[ 05-06-2001: Message edited by: Moriarty ]

Turn four e-mail exchanges

Good morning Joe, Would you call off that arty please? -Abbott

Well, I talked to my spotters about lifting the barrage, but they didn’t like the idea too much. -Gyrene