OT: Where did YOU start?

Stalingrad by Avalon Hill. After opening all the game boxes at Ed Schock's Toy and Hobby Shop, much to the dismay of Mr. Schock, it appeared that Stalingrad had the most charts and graphs, and the map didn't look too sucky. Runners up were Afrika Corps (not enough pieces and charts, but cool looking yellow and blue map) and D-Day (way complicated but terrible looking map). Even in those days graphics counted. smile.gif Went home, played my little brother, and lost as the Russians. I didn't know you were supposed to keep your men in a line. smile.gif

PS: Keep this under your hats, it will ruin my reputation here. Thanks. smile.gif

------------------

DeanCo--

CM interface mods: http://mapage.cybercable.fr/deanco/

so many games...so little time

Originally posted by Sgt Steiner:

Am filling up now......sniff......blub... smile.gif

Ha! Sentimentality didn't stop you destroying those 3 Pz IVs though, did it Gary? They were minding their own business, not hurting anybody (apart fron that infantry squad) and then KABOOM smile.gif .

[This message has been edited by Firefly (edited 02-03-2001).]

Guest Napoleon1944

1st it was plastic Marx play sets

then Britians swoppets

then Afrika Corps from AH

1st video game: Atari Combat

------------------

The only enemy I fear is nature.

-Napoleon

Originally posted by Treeburst155:

Hey Deke, that game with the plastic airplanes and kill rings was called Dogfight by Milton Bradley I believe. I loved that game as a pre-teen. There was actually some thinking involved.

Hey thanks for the game name Treeburst155!!! I've spent almost 30 years wondering what that was. Now to see if I can find a copy...

------------------

Winning is why we play!

There's a bunch of old farts on this forum. If you ever put an Opponets Wanted ad in 'The General' we probably played a Squad Leader PBM.

And people complain that PBEM is too slow? Try keeping a whole room off-limts so RL doesn't mess up your gazillion cardboard counters.

Christmas, 1973. Richard Nixon was in the White House. Alice Cooper's "Muscle of Love" album blared across the FM airwaves all across America. The New Orleans Saints just finished their 7th season. It was a losing season like the others before it and many others after. The Arabs and Isrealis rested after the Yom Kippur War in October, 1973. The last U.S. military drawdown continued at a frantic pace while the draft was on its last legs and soon to be history.

And . . . I received Gettysburg by Avalon Hill for Christmas. Next Christmas, it was Third Reich.

I started computer gaming in 1995 with the legendary Panzer General by SSI. Steel Panthers soon followed. You know how the story goes from here: CMBO is the best. You know something, though? I still like board wargames like Russian Campaign, Russian Front and Anzio.

Guest Mike the bike

I started with Airfix plastic kits & figures - Russians of course :)

Probably because I had a copy of Purnell's History of WW2 "Special" volume on Tanks, and it had a double page spread devoted to the early Russian stuff and they weer all steel grey - very mipressive looking.

And I probably bought that because I used to clamber over a Valentine in the playground of the little town where I used to visit my Grandparents for Xmas holidays (Ohakune, New Zealand).

This was all 30 years ago - took my 2 sons to Ohakune a couple of weks ago & let them clamber over the same tank!! smile.gif