New feature idea/ request for you to think over

One of my fellow CM players presented me with a problem he had while designing a scenario. Thinking about it gave me an idea (for a possible new feature for CMBB perhaps?) which I'd like to toss around.

The problem mentioned above was that (on-map) AI troops made a move for a flag prematurely (a historical thingy-problem). The how's and why's aren't paricularly important right now.

What I was thinking of was some sort of 'release command,' to be implemented by the scenario designer. This should enable him/her to lock certain units/formations in place (on-map, in the editor) to be released for player (or AI) control after a specific number of turns, or maybe even a specific 'trigger-event' (the loss of a flag, for instance, or the spotting of heavy armor. You name it).

Also, I can imagine that this opens up some interesting new options for all kinds of historical battles on larger maps where you could look upon those units as a different kind of reinforcements.

Of course these 'locked' units should still be subject to any Tac-AI decisions and actions if things should go wrong (hey, **** happens).

Good idea? Or no? Any additional ideas? Changes? BTS? Anyone?

I think thats absolutely excellent idea!!

I just think that it might mean some pretty big changes in the code...

Still something to think about...

Maybe in CM3 or something...

I can just imagine a scenario when you think your winning and an additional company of inf arrives... Especially if you can give the forces some kinda approach they "have" to use (unless the TacAI doesnt like it).

Definetley something to think about...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Juju:

The problem mentioned above was that (on-map) AI troops made a move for a flag prematurely (a historical thingy-problem). The how's and why's aren't paricularly important right now.

What I was thinking of was some sort of 'release command,' to be implemented by the scenario designer. This should enable him/her to lock certain units/formations in place (on-map, in the editor) to be released for player (or AI) control after a specific number of turns, or maybe even a specific 'trigger-event' (the loss of a flag, for instance, or the spotting of heavy armor. You name it). Any additional ideas? Changes? BTS? Anyone?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES!

Great idea

complicated?, maybe

Real Hard to code up?, probably

BUT none the less still a GREAT idea for a new dimension in Scenario design!

Thanks

-tom w

That reminds me of the excellent scripting that was possible when designing scenarios in "Operational Art of War".

To implement such a thing in CM would be fantastic.

Finally we would have the possibility for scenarios like "once you secure the bridge, a Tiger company will reinforce your attack" and many others.

That sounds like an excellent idea! I'm not sure of the implentability of it, but it would make reinforcements a little better. Maybe have little trigger flags that aren't visible during play that are tied to the reinforcements, like if a bridge is taken by the enemy reinforcements will be released.

Steel Beasts has something like this.

I think this kind of design approach is the future of computer wargaming. I was trying to design along similar lines with my game. Now that I am temporary disemployed, I will try to pick up wher I left off.

Lewis

I think AI scripting is a must for CM II. Quite simply, the PO cannot be left to its own devices to devise strategy, even if it might be able to handle tactics.

One thing that might be implementable for CM 2 would be faux flags, invisible to players and holding no VP values but very much visible to the AI.

WWB

And of course, there's TacOps, which has, as has been explained to me, no AI whatsoever. The "AI" simply follows OpFor doctrine _exactly_. Which explains why single play leads to several red company commander faces.

On the other hand, while I _lurve_ Steel Beasts' scripting, it becomes impractical, I think, to have anywhere near that depth of action for randomly generated scenarios. And QBs are one of the major reasons I keep coming back to CM: most people don't make scenarios that appeal to my sub-company scale.

How about Timed Flags? Imagine the possibilities with that. You are just about to your assigned objectives when orders come down from above directing you to the other side of the map!

Would also take care of some of what you are trying to do as you could work the flags around the map to direct the AI.

I really like the idea. It's funny because it kinda reminds me of StarCraft. When creating maps, you could put all kinds of scripts and triggers in that allowed for just about anything to happen.

I'd love to have that flexibility in CM, as said before designing a scenario that only gives reiforcemenst when a certain objective has been completed.