New Movie! -- "Enemy at the Gates."

Don't know much about it yet, but it's setting is the battle of Stalingrad and aspires to be the most expensive movie made to date.

It's reported release date is sometime in February of the new year.

Clubfoot.

[This message has been edited by Clubfoot (edited 12-29-2000).]

Guest Michael emrys

I heard today that Spielberg was given an honorary knighthood. He's entitled to put the letters KCB after his name now, but no "Sir" Stephen since he's American. Can't think why the Queen would want to honor him though. Anybody have an idea?

Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Capt Canuck:

What Hanks/Speilberg HBO series?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Band of Brothers

A 10-Part mini-series probably starting next September. Was supposed to start next month, but they just finished filming Nov. 24th. They are in editing now.

Guest *Captain Foobar*

As long as the battle scenes are somewhat realistic, and they dont dress up M1 Abrahms tanks as Tigers or T-32s, I will be fine with it.

Oh yeah, no cornball drama thrown in either...I hate that. If this movie plays out anything like "The English Patient", I will be very hurt and angry.......

"Enemy at the Gates" is one hell of a book. Probably one of the best war history/eyewitness accounts I have read. Very engrossing. I didn't even know that a movie was in the works. I hope they make some attempt at historical accuracy. I am sick and tired of seeing 'German' tanks that are really nothing more than old Patton tanks with an iron cross on the side. I wonder how the movie industry is going to bastardize the book though (a la Starship Troopers). The thing is is that the sniper duel was but a Very small part of the book's story. I'd rather see the battles at the Barrikady, Red October tractor factory, Univermag, Commissar's House, etc etc etc

[This message has been edited by Commissar (edited 12-30-2000).]

"As long as the battle scenes are somewhat realistic, and they dont dress up M1 Abrahms tanks as Tigers or T-32s, I will be fine with it."

Ha that's pretty funny! There were no "T32s" or Tigers at Stalingrad anyway. Sounds like you wouldn't be able to detect historical accuracy even if there was some.

:P

Los

(all in jest)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

I heard today that Spielberg was given an honorary knighthood. He's entitled to put the letters KCB after his name now, but no "Sir" Stephen since he's American. Can't think why the Queen would want to honor him though. Anybody have an idea?

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least they're doing this whole thing by merit. The Queen did NOTHING to get her status.

Guest Rommel22

Is there a website they have this some where, maybe a preview or something. Sound really intersting and like most said:

I hope it's historicly accurate!!! I am tired of M24 chaffes being Shermans and M-48's being Tigers.

Thanx for the info.

------------------

"If you are a Republican under 30 you have no heart! If you are not a Republican and over 30, you have no brain!"

Winston Churchill

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Is this Russian Sniper movie being filmed in the USSR, or in the USA?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The USSR ceased to exist many years ago.

Enemy At The Gates is being filmed somewhere in Germany. There is an epic river crossing a la SPR near the start of the film.

Hopefully this new movie will be an improvement on 'Stalingrad', which was filmed as a Television series, and then cut down for the cinematic version.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>At least they're doing this whole thing by merit. The Queen did NOTHING to get her status.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's called the hereditory principle,

Guest *Captain Foobar*

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Ha that's pretty funny! There were no "T32s" or Tigers at Stalingrad anyway. Sounds like you wouldn't be able to detect historical accuracy even if there was some.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What's this? Another dagger in my back? Oh well, I never laid any claim at being highly schooled on historical OOB's and such anyways.

Thanks for that...

Guest *Captain Foobar*

No problem Los, smile.gif

Perhaps you could take this opportunity to tell us "beer & pretzel" type players what kind of AFV's were common in Stalingrad, and the surrounding area.