New Movie! -- "Enemy at the Gates."

I'm glad to hear about a new East Front movie. I think, the german Stalingrad movie was a quite good, it was accurate historically. There were not too much AFVs in it, but they were correct. For example the SdKfzs were panzer-gray, not sand-yellow, the germans used Opel Blitz trucks, not GMCs, and the Ju52 was also cool. If the "Enemy At The Gates" will be somewhere between Stalingrad and SPR, I'll be very happy. Ed Harris will be cool as a german sniper. Does anyone know, who's the french guy who will direct the movie? Maybe Luc Besson? (The Jeanne Dark was a great movie, did you watched it?)

Too bad that duel never happend.

Here is what Anthony Beevor (author of Stalingrad) had to say:

"Indeed, the whole story of the sniper duel is fiction. There is absolutely no trace in

the German military archives or SS records of SS officer Heinz Thorwald.

Also there is absolutely no report of the duel in the Red Army files which concentrated

on sniper activities (the daily reports of the Political Department of Stalingrad Front to Moscow)

This great story can be classified as Sovjet propaganda."

The quote below is from a BBC News article:

"Mr Beevor, whose acclaimed tome Stalingrad is rapidly becoming the definitive text on the battle, said while Zaitsev was a real figure there was no evidence to support the existence of Koenig.

He said: 'I've been through the Soviet Ministry of Defence's archive in Podolsk and there is no record of such a duel.'

'If it had taken place the Soviet propaganda machine would have leapt on it.'"

/Marcus

Third Reich Factbook

I just finished the Beevor book. Very good read. Happened to read it during a recent cold snap in my area which really helped with the immersion! smile.gif Gave me a small but real sense of the hardships of the weather. Brrrr! BTW I also read a book that may be the basis of the Ed Harris movie. I think it was called Rattenkrieg. It is a fictionalized account of the alledged sniper duel between Torwald and Zaitsev. An ok read but I had some problems with it, I can't put my finger on why though. It just rang false in some ways. Well I will have to see this movie anyway. I've liked Harris in some of his stuff. I liked him as the mercenary in a movie about the troubles in central america during the 80's. Don't remember the name though. I think Nick Nolte was in it too.

Wow that got long... smile.gif

later

------------------

NCOIC,

718th TFW,

www.718tfw.com

The real Vasiliy , the sniper from Enemy at the Gate upcoming movie , had a "record" of 400 kills !! ( around 200 only during the siege of Stalingrad ! )

If someone is interested to read more about him ( and have a look at a photo of the real Vasiliy Zaitsev )or to read more about Red Army Snipers , visit this site ( This Site is a good link for information on Stalingrad Battle )

http://users.pandora.be/stalingrad/snipers.html

to the Red Army HQ http://users.pandora.be/stalingrad/rushead.html

to the German HQ http://users.pandora.be/stalingrad/gerhead.htm

Anybody with a Sniper Scenario ?

Um, Crockett, you can stop posting now. We get it.

As to "sniper battles".... Well, it's a bit silly when you think about it. Snipers don't take objectives or defend them.

And anyway, there are no snipers in CM. Only "sharp shooters". Big difference.

Sorry , about posting so much the same text

I post it a few hours before and it did not appeared on the forum !So I made some tests

Sorry !

I'm quite new and I think something was wrong with writing links ( did not used the UBB Code )

Well at least now I know

About the Sniper Scenario I was only joking

Where you joking too Phoenix ?

oh great spielberg is doing another ww2 bit

more near sighted germans to laugh at...as for the sniper duel i first read about it in soldier of fortune magazine about 15 years ago so...i doubt it is a true story oh thanks for the link to the stalingrad site they should call this stalingrad movie "verdun on the volga" got alot more zip dont you think?

I just saw a trailor of Enemy at the Gates a few days ago while going to see Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. They didn't show many battle scenes other than one where the scene freezes every time a soldier gets shot...guess they did that to be dramatic. That and one brief glimpse of a group of German bombers(Junkers?) flying over the rubbles.