AI getting gamey units... does it ever happened to you?

Well, I was having small QB against the AI yesterday. In one of the battles, I was leading a 1000 points allied attack on a town. I got a pretty useful mixture of units, with two 81 mm mortar arty spotters, a Sherman 76 +, ando good infantry.

The attack was doing well, even after losing a full squad in less than 10 seconds in an ambush. When I reached the center of the town with my front units, clearing the way to the Sherm, I saw the most gamey thing that the AI has ever made in my computer:

He had bought a JagdTiger. Yes, that thing with a huge gun, heavy armour and low production....

Man, I had a really hard time. I laid tons of smoke with the mortars all around the village, moved in the Zooks and the Sherm trying to flank the monster...(hard time, hard time!!!). I lost 3 zooks, the Sherm (those guys in the Ronson should be court martialled: they blasted 3 rounds in the side armour of the JT without getting a penetration before the beast got them) and finally destroyed the damm thing with my last zook in a flank shot from 25 m. Wow.

Well, I won the battle, and with a major victory... but That's being gamey !!! I think I should accuse my Athlon of gameyness !!!

:D :cool: :D

[ 05-06-2001: Message edited by: Blenheim ]

I've played a lot of armour QBs as Germans and Allies. I always let computer pick troops for both sides and I've never had it pick a JT for the Germans.. (for the Amis either for that matter tongue.gif )

The calculations that go into picking troops never seem to exclude anything, but the computer usually gets a pretty round force and doesn't spend lots of money on big ticket units. But sometimes you get a KT, JPanther or the like. Rare enought that it seems pretty realistic to me.

I think you just were unlucky having to go toe to toe against a JT. It doen't happen often enough to be a problem.

Scott

From your description of the battle I dont think it was gamey at all. In fact it sounds quite reasonable that Jag was moving through the town with supporting forces. Probably moving to join the rest of its unit.

From the german perspective, their plan to reinforce their anti tank capability was ambushed by your light force. Hey, you were the Desert Rats or Robin Hood or the Swamp Fox or Jeb Stuart! :D

I can sure understand your horror and displeasure upon seeing that monster but bet it was fun - well after killing it anyway? But yeah I can see it happening in real life just like Toad said. Remember how you felt when seeing that thing in the game, well just imagine how the American tankers felt when they in real life saw one. Damn, that had to suck!!!

I have also thoroughly enjoyed the rare times a piece of heavy German armor shows itself in a quick battle. Sounds like you had a good one.

I had a battle where a Jtiger popped up. I was able to get a mobility kill on it and was just thrilled. It still had a decent Los frontally however but I was able to manuver outside of it and captured the objectives.

Oh, and Tiger, obviously your question was answered. AMD is gamey! ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blenheim:

(those guys in the Ronson should be court martialled: they blasted 3 rounds in the side armour of the JT without getting a penetration before the beast got them) [ 05-06-2001: Message edited by: Blenheim ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

boy, it'd suck to be commanded by you tongue.gif

'oh well u tried your best, got into position, and even after your first three rounds had no effect you still stood your ground and fought till your tank was blown out from under you.' {Blenheim then throws the (surviving)crew in stockade} 'let that be a lesson to you!'

Well, accoding to the information I gave, I was being a bit rude to those guys inside the Sherm. Yeah, they faced a JT, tried hard and got spanked... Oh, heroics.

They were heroes, but damm clumsy heroes. The 3 shots were from 40 metres. Side shots, from 40 m., three misses. Oh well. Heroes, but damm unlucky, and quite dead....

BTW, yeah, it was a great QB, one of the best of this size I've played against the AI. I really felt happy when the monster got killed... Man, I love this game.

Now I Just began another QB attack against the AI, and I choosed their allied troops. I gave them two Pershings in a 1500 point battle. Let´s face some big tanks again....

(Damm, the AI gave me only two Marders and a Pz Mk IV!!! Oh well...)

:eek: :mad: :eek:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blenheim:

BTW, yeah, it was a great QB, one of the best of this size I've played against the AI. I really felt happy when the monster got killed... Man, I love this game.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I played a smallish QB against the AI once where it took a stug and a KT. I was terrified of the KT (one of my first QBs)

as I had to advance over a long open patch of ground to take the VLs.

Then my Firefly drilled the hull down beastie right through the turret while ON THE MOVE.

Tense moment, though...

It never ocurred to me that this would be gamey. I think that it is not gamey. I also think you are pulling our chain with this silly post. Good story, though.

[ 05-07-2001: Message edited by: Terence ]