wOw! Just like Christmas morning!

Well, those of you who read my Noob Alert post last week know I finally ordered CM:OO on Friday. Well to my surprise it arrived yesterday in the mail! So very exciting to unwrap and install after playing that damn demo for almost two weeks, heh heh. To top it all of, it was my day off yesterday! I spent many an hour playing different scenarios and familiarizing myself with the game best I could. Later in the evening I decided to DL some of the better spoken of mods (thanks to all those who replied to my earlier post with mod advice!). I DL the mod manager program as well.

Well I have a couple more questions prehaps some of you vets could help me with. There are so many mods out there, it's hard to tell which will overwrite the other. Is the only way to tell which will affect a particular file is to unzip the file and look at the individual files? Using the Mod Manager, I sort of like that I can leave all the mods in the zipped format and install them on the game temporarily. Are there certain mods that the overall consensus is they deserve a permanent place in the gamefiles? Also, I was wondering if you needed to switch out different types of mods of the same unit? For example, in order to utilize winter unit mods, do those mods need to be loaded or when you choose a battle in snow do these become the default unit mods?

I DL'd a bunch of mods so now I'm not sure which would overwrite the others. Is the only way to check which mods are which is by using them individually and looking in game or is there a easier way to do this? It seems to me that some of the mods I install using modmanager don't show up in game. Is that because they get overwritten?

Well, any help would be appreciated! Give me a couple more weeks of practice against the computer and then start looking for my PBEM challenges in the forums! Everyone needs to battle easy prey from time to time, right? =)

p.s. If none of this makes sense blame CM! I was up until midnight playing last night! :P

Heh, yah, my heart did skip a beat when I didn't see the CD right away! Something BTS did though, that you just won;t see with the 'big' software companies: I had DL'd the patches thinking I would have to install them. Lo and behold, the game on the CD was already v1.12! Now that's what I call cust service, baby! smile.gif

As far as mods go they generally only override each other if you install a newer mod of a certain unit/vehicle. To top it off a decent portion of the units are even further divided by nationality (US/UK Shermans). Another case are infantry mods which are even subdivided within their own nationality such as '44 Rifle platoons of the German Heer and Waffen SS. Keep in mind that some textures are used by several units and may look awkward if not matching. An easy example is 5015.bmp for the German helmets.

I have a profound mistrust of my own computer's intelligence. I try to know the .bmp number of each file I'm replacing, I do back-ups of backups before I do any modding. Better safe than sorry.

Winter mods are the default art whenever snow's on the ground.

Some mods that you download may not show up in the game because you're not using that particular vehicle! The Brit Shermans are different bmp files from the Yank Shermans of the same type. The Shermans with HVSS suspension use different hull art than Shermans with VVSS suspension. there are a LOT of stuff in those art files.

Hehehe, the title reminded me of this from the OLD DAYS, back when we ALL were waiting for CM. So, if you'll allow me the immodesty:

I dont' know about you guys, but when CM finally shows up ... it'll be like ... Christmas.

Twas the Night of Delivery

by Joe Shaw

Twas the night of delivery,

and all through the house,

Not a creature was stirring,

‘cept his trusty mouse.

His wife had departed,

with a steely cold glare,

Said she’d be at her mother's,

like he’d really care.

The game had arrived,

via afternoon mail,

He tore up the wrapping,

with tooth and with nail.

He lunged to computer,

popped in the disc,

And started installing,

with a flick of the wrist.

Now ten hours later,

‘twas awfully late,

But he hadn’t determined,

that damned Stuart’s fate.

He had twelve games in email,

three ICQ,

A scenario brewing,

he called “M4 Et Tu.”

The manual was read,

by monitor’s glare,

To miss out on the action,

he just couldn’t dare.

And as he perused,

the wisdom writ there,

He mumbled and babbled,

gripped by software.

“On Panther, on Tiger,

on Sturmgeshutz III,

On Puma, On Hetzer,

and Panzer VI Ausf. B,

Panzerfausts, Mausers

and MG42,

Surely will save me,

from this terrible stew.”

His ISP chimed,

his email he clicked,

A turn there from Iggi,

the guy was a dick.

He fired up the program,

and ran through the turn,

OH NO, yet another,

of his Panzers did burn.

His eyes welled with tears,

his sobs choked his chest,

Despite all his faults,

Iggi’s luck was the best.

But wait, ‘twas a chance,

and he took it with glee,

His airstrikes surely,

would make Iggi flee.

And so through the night,

he plotted away,

In the hands of BTS,

he was nought but clay.

Stephen, and Charles,

with unbridled ambition,

Created this evil,

called ... Combat Mission.

Merry Christmas

Joe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Danzig:

Now that's what I call cust service, baby! smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, well get used to it. smile.gif

After a little of the newness of CM worn off, you may want to take the time to look at all the bmp files so you get an idea of how they are grouped together and how they work together. That way you will have a better understanding of what happens when you install a new mod. I don't use the mod manager, but many do and they have good things to say about it. Back up your bmp folder before installing any mod you think you might not like. It makes it a lot easier to revert back to the way things were before you installed a mod you don't like.