How many bazookas/'shrecks/PIATs ...

Herr K,

I think the best way to make that determination is to look at the OOBs for the various units on the purchase screen. Sometimes the AT weapons are attached to the platoon and other times they are attached to the company. Either way, the information you find there is reliable.

My point is there is no one answer that covers all platoons at all times for all nations. It varies A LOT.

I hope that helps.

Commonwealth infantry platoons had 1 PIAT.

In practice, this may have varied. The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada created Tank Hunting sections in Italy; Victoria Cross winner Smokey Smith was a member of such a unit when he performed the deeds for which he was given the supreme award. If you are interested I can try and dig up the details of these; I can't remember if it was a tank hunting Platoon, or just sections. In any event, the point is that sometimes strict adherence to order of battle was not followed as a matter of course.

If you think you can use that as a justification for "gamey" purchases, go ahead! Let me know if anyone buys it. ;)

Just get Volkssturm and you are all set.

I wouldn't be too worried about that, I don't believe that any serious gamer would complain about too many AT teams. They cause no known game mechanics problems and have a fair price considering their limited abilities against the average enemy force. Don't forget that they don't only cost points when you buy them, but they also bring knockout points when you loose them. And they are vulnerable because they are not very fast. Artillery is bad for them.

Of course, if the enemy has nothing but Churchill's... but I would would disregard such player's opinions anyway.

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: redwolf ]</p>

For most battles, one zook or schreck per platoon is about right, and it's relatively historical. Any fewer, and you may find a platoon getting pounded by a tank without any chance of fighting back; any more, and you may find yourself saying "I wish I hadn't bought so many zooks (schrecks) 'cause I could have gotten a [insert other unit that would help]". The only time I personally would get more than 1 per platoon (with maybe one extra) is when I know there will be lots of enemy vehicles in constricted terrain (city, bocage, wooded roads, etc.)

I hope this helps.

I agree with redeker. Even if they are a company asset, breaking them down onto the individual platoons is obvious.

if you are conducting a company-sized assault, SOP for me is to create autarkic self-supporting combat teams centered around an infantry platoon. IOW, one PzSchreck per platoon allows them to move about with inherent AT capability.

of course you shouldn't make this a rule carved in stone. some scenarios call for more and some for less AT capability of your infantry.

A strong AT support in terms of armor or TDs might reduce the need for integral infantry AT weapons drastically.

for the americans it was 3 per company, and then a million of them at the battalion level.

so in my games, i usually assign one to each platoon from the company level. then my assault troops get two total from extra's i bought. can never have enough. and i figure it takes about 6 of them to fire all 8 rounds for you to knock out a tank.

british get a ton of them. germans also.

<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Commonwealth infantry platoons had 1 PIAT.

In practice, this may have varied. The Seaforth Highlanders of Canada created Tank Hunting sections in Italy; Victoria Cross winner Smokey Smith was a member of such a unit when he performed the deeds for which he was given the supreme award. If you are interested I can try and dig up the details of these; I can't remember if it was a tank hunting Platoon, or just sections. In any event, the point is that sometimes strict adherence to order of battle was not followed as a matter of course.

If you think you can use that as a justification for "gamey" purchases, go ahead! Let me know if anyone buys it. ;) <hr></blockquote>I think that really the Commonwealth PIATs were disposed of by the company commander. So it would be 3 per Co rather than 1 per Plt for issue purposes. Of course there were many more than that available at the battalion level so I think extra PIATs (within reason) can be readily justified on a historical basis. Especially if any of the Bn supporting elements are present (ie 3in mortars, carriers, AT guns).

I haven't read any memoirs by PIAT gunners except Stan Sisclowski's - he mentions that in one attack, he got slowed down by the PIAT, got lost crossing a canal or hedge, and was out of contact with his unit for two days.

And people complain in CM just because the PIAT can't keep up...

He never did shoot at a German tank, incidentally, though he fought in Italy where armour was a little less commonly encountered.